Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need to worn out the tyres b4 riding in the rain?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by s050399b, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I heard from my friend: he said I need to worn out my tyres a bit before riding the in rain or else it would slip?

2. If your tyres are brand new it helps to "scrub" the tyres in a bit to get rid of any stuff the factory has put on the tyre to look pretty and all that. Or just search about how others have scrubbed there tyres, because when they have that stuff it makes them more slippery than usual.

If your tyres arn't brand new then there isnt a problem, unless u hit an oil patch.
  3. you will only need to do about 200kms of riding to scrub them in

4. on a straight road or cornering (sides of tyres)?
  5. Both, but not in the rain.
  6. not this thing again. you need heat in the tyres to get them to grip good, and thats why in the rain its not great for running brand new tyres on. as the tyres are pretty much water cooled.

the only reason people say to do 200 or 100 km before going for it is only because the tyres will be fully heated up by then. its nothing to do with the tyre 'scrubbing' the road. most people think that the tyre has to touch the road otherwise it will be slippery but that isnt the case.

its just to do with getting temperatures in the tyres up when you first get them.

7. Thanks! I'm just a bit afraid of doing "cornering". What speed should I do for cornering? Sweeping bends?
  8. New tyres can be slippery in the wet, take it very easy until they are scrubbed in.

(ask me how I know)

9. Ah! I see!! I was thinking of using some metal scrubs to scrub them!

btw, I am not able to heat the tyres in Victoria; it's only 5 degree out there.
  10. haha i know what you mean, im in gippsland so its never warm unless its on fire.

the tyres will warm up from just riding as they flex, creating heat. the best way to get the heat into them is to accelerate and brake, so speed up then slow down. then repeat. it gets the weight to transfer onto each tyre, so they flex and heat up.
  11. I remember cornermarking that one on the Peninsula. Amazing control (and maybe just a little luck) in adverse circumstances.

And as far as I'm concerned, scrubbing in IS about removing the shiny coating on a new tyre- releasing agent from the molding process. Takes @100km and progressively greater lean angles. You will see the scrubbed area as significantly duller in appearance than the shiny new sections.

Take it easy.
  12. No, it's also to remove the mould release agent on brand new tyres. On not brand new tyres, you are correct, although I suspect most tyres would be up to operating temperature before 100klm.
  13. they only use mould release on the sidewalls these days, as they are more concerned with getting all the writing spot on. the moulds themselves are teflon coated so why would they need more mould release?

back in the day though, they used mould release on the whole tyre as the moulds were pretty crap, and thats where you have to scrub the tyre in.

if you really wanted your new tyre to be grippy as soon as you rode on it, get a set of tyre warmers and stick them on for around an hour, or until the rim is pretty warm.
  14. Ahh the joys of the internet...as stated if your tyres are brand new then, Yes..take it very gently in the wet. The brand new tyre is coated with a mould release agent..it stays on the tyre from the factory,apart from helping the tyre come out of the mould it helps to keep them from perishing..rubber will do that when exposed to oxygen and UV light.
    Most bike shops will 'prep' the tyre for you getting rid of most of the mould release,but you still need to take it easy for the first few hundred kms .The surface of the road will wear away or 'scrub' your tyres to rid them of the release agent.

If your tyres have more than a few hundred kms on them then just ride in the wet as you normally would. Just leave more room for braking and take corners gently.
  15. Do you have a license? You're asking fundamentally stupid or utterly noob questions which has me worried for your safety. How long have you had your license?

Despite that article, I've gone for a slide on tyres that were absolutely coated with mold release - no two ways about it. Creeping up on lean angles gets the crap off... or acetone. Heat up tyres is another matter - but slaloms are way more fun. :)
  16. Yes you will, if you ride on the road friction will heat the tyres and they will scrub.
    Will take a little longer in the freezing cold but friction is a wonderful thing for heating tyres.

17. sigh........ I never expected such remarks from moderator;

Never been on a bike, until I got my L like 1 month ago, and that's like only for 5 hours on a bike? And the speed when doing the Ls are like 20km/hr or less?
  18. Yeh yeh, tough love. You seem to be needing some.

Moderator or no, are you saying you didn't expect someone to pick up on your total lack of knowledge?? You've confirmed my concerns.

If you were building a house, would you be asking what colour the curtains should be before designing the structure? I'm encouraging you to get your fundamentals sorted, get your basics consolidated. Riding is a skill.

Anyway, it will help the people answering your questions to know just what your experience is, so they can tailor their answers to most effectively help you.

Exactly my point. Kudos for asking questions, but you should be asking real noob questions about braking, emergency braking, steering, gears, revs, tyre pressure, where to go for more training, asking for mentor help... instead you're asking about speeds in sweepers, GPS's and other stuff...

See where I'm coming from now?

The new riders thread has some excellent stickies and some excellent advice for new riders - I hope you're taking advantage of it.
  19. Noobs will ask noob questions..tis the nature of the noobie.

Clearly you have not met 'Tomcatboy' from Patricks' Aviation website :p