Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need to lower 2011 CBR250R

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Julz123, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Hey fellow NR's

Is it 'easy' to lower a bike? I have a 2011 HOnda CBR250R.

While I haven't taken my bike on the street at the moment (got a stomach bug causing me all sorts of probs.) I went on the bike to play around in the backyard in first gear. When I got to the end of the backyard, I realised going backyards was a pain. I had to tippy toe it back (as I'm only 5'6") until I could turn it around and go forwards again. My feet don't actually sit completely flat when I'm in an upright position.

I could see this a big problem if on an incline on the road etc. In fact pushing the bike in neutral (while sitting on the bike) up a little ridge where my shed and driveway meet was bit of a task...and as mentioned because my feet dont sit flat to the ground.

I wasn't wearing any motorcycle boots..just sneakers, which could have made a difference if I wore boots. But don't have any at the moment. But that said. I would I feel much more comfortable if my feet was at least 2/3 touching the ground.

Do I need to take my bike to someone to get it lowered if it can be done?

Cheers

2. Hi Julz123Julz123 . At 5'6" and wearing riding boots you should be ok. I'm 5'1" and started on a CB125E which I was absolutely tip toeing on, but with boots it wasn't an issue because of the grip. Currently riding a lowered VTR250 I am reasonably flat footed on, but if I'm wearing anything other than solid riding boots I have trouble backing it.

Lowering is relatively easy but in my short experience, it can also cause issues with the bike if it's not done correctly. My VTR was too low in the back which made the front twitchy and it had to be professionally adjusted.

Before you go lowering it, get out onto the road and have a practice. I still can't back my bike in the gravel once I get out of the garage unless I get a little bit of speed up on the concrete first. This is despite being reasonably flat footed. On inclines I just have to plan a bit carefully but so far I haven't had any issues.

Hope this helps.

3. My missus is 5'4" and manages the CBR250R fine :p. She can't flat foot it but manages pretty well to manoeuvre it on foot.

Maybe check the rear preload it could be on a higher setting... putting it on the lower settings will buy you a few extra mm. It's a bit annoying to adjust (some skin may be removed from your knuckles), check your manual there's a guide in there. Alternatively take it to a motorcycle shop of your choosing and they'll do it for you, and set it properly for your weight (some may even do this for free).

Also with regards to stopping at traffic lights etc, I almost always keep the right foot on the rear brake. No need to flat foot with both feet when stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Much easier to modify the seat foam then to piss fart around with lowering the bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Just wear some high heels and you'll be right.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I have a cbr300 - not sure what difference in height; but I'm 5'4 and can manage fine :)

7. Thanks for the replies. Good to know it can be lowered, but will get myself a set of boots first and try. I'm a skinny bugger (52kg) so not sure if my weight and lack of downward pressure has anything to do with getting my feet flat. But like the philfromaccountingphilfromaccounting said, I should be having only one foot flat anyways. But my issue was is I were to reverse, then it's a PITA.

8. I cannot remember what model Honda but it didnt have any rear preload facility at all.Lowering is doable but done right its expensive.On a single rear shock bike suspension pros fit internal spacers that lower the front and rear.You lose suspension travel and will probably need to shorten the stands.Some people use a different link between the shock and the swingarm,that works but changes the rising rate, eg compromises the susendion performance. So its doable even up to 25 or more mm but done right expensive. Playing with the seat is way easier,but reduces arse comfort a bit.

9. CBR250R definitely has preload adjustment on the rear shock, 6 steps from memory. If you're light then you should be near the lowest setting :)

10. I think it was a CB250F that didnt have preload adjustment on the rear,bit academic now as she has a Ducati 696,that also had a seat hight issue for her.Feel for the shortys out there,shame there are not more bikes available to suit them.

11. Learn to walk the bike around and get comfortable doing it. I'm 5'9" and I still sometimes have to get off the bike to walk it into a parking spot.

With some situations you can position yourself so that you can let the throttle, brakes and gravity do the work for you. That'll come with experience (for shorties anyway - taller riders never have to worry).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you're going down the seat mod route then contact Bill at Guzzler Custom seats. Just down the road at Browns Plains. He's been doing seats for years at a reasonable price. Cheers

13. Rather than lowering you might be able to get the seat shaved a little.
    Half the problem with getting your feet down is the width of the seat.
    If it's relatively square from front to back, then taking 10mm out of the width of the front third of the seat could give you an extra 10mm of leg reach on each side.
    Any trimmer / upolsterer would be able to do it for you, and it would be a much cheaper option.

14. I don't think boots will make a huge difference, unless you are getting cruiser boots with a bit of meat on the sole. Most of the road boots are possibly less sole than your sneakers?

I have to get off my bike to open the garage door anyway, so then just push it back in.

15. The right boots can get you a bit of height, I get a good 1.5" from my road boots. Also, boots have a more ridid sole so you can apply more force with less contact on the ground (like with just your toes), whereas sneaker soles tend to bend and slide unless you're pressing down on the ball of your foot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Yep, I found it in the manual! However it doesn't tell me which way to turn (clockwise or anticlockwise) for lower/higher. I tried it, but can't tell the diff. I was adjusting from the muffler side. Do you know which way to turn to lower the rear suspension from the muffler side?

Thanks for the tip. Will call him for a price.

Had no idea you could do that and seems something I can do in my workshop from watching youtube videos.

You're right. Got my boots on the weekend; Dririder iRide 2. Didn't make a scrap of difference..maybe 10mm at best.

17. What you turn is a like a ramped collar, there should be a little diagram (like the one I've attached below) in the manual that tells you which position on the collar is which setting. From the diagram if you turn it clockwise it goes higher, and if you turn it anticlockwise it goes lower (it should also be easier to turn it anticlockwise). You'll want it on 1 or 2.

If it was on say setting 5, then putting it on setting 1 might buy you 10-15mm or so. But if it was already on a lower setting then it won't help :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Does this affect the handling of the bike? I desperately need my cbr250r lowered and I am going to get the seat shaved, but will have to check this setting and see if it helps!

19. Yep, found the ramped collar and always wondered what the C-spanner was for. WIll try again, can't remember which was I was turning the collar. Cheers Phil

I'm most likely going to get the seat shaved.

Almost dropped the bike falling to the right hand side, so no kickstand to save. Was reversing the bike. But got to almost 45 degree slant and pulling something up that's more than 3 times my body weight was almost impossible. Almost considered letting it drop because I was holding it on 45 degree slant for a good 10/15 seconds, then 'yoinked' it back up. Being on tips of my toes makes the bike very unstable for me when reversing.

In case you wonder why I am worried about reversing is: I have to reverse my bike through a narrow passage on the side of the house to store my bike. So doing that every day is a PITA. But if I can be flat footed on BOTH sides, then I will be fine. Also my worry stems from *if* my bike falls into the side of a brick wall would be disastrous or getting pinned between brick wall and a bike and no one there to help me because I live on my own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. For the suspension to work at its best it should sag 1/3 of available travel with you sitting on it feet on the pegs and wheels on the ground,eg not on any stand.Thats suspension. Independent of that jacking the rear up speeds up steering and lowering it slows steering down.Its the opposite at the front end. First thing to sort is sag ,I have a mate who has short legs and drops every bike to fix the seat height, he is still quick and competent but having suspension work as it should is a revelation if yours doesn't.