Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need to know a few things about modification.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by out_of_order, Sep 24, 2007.

1. I have a bike that i want to get it back on the road but there are a few things that have been bugging me.

I need to replace the front rims, but can i get wheels from other bikes to fit with minimal fuss? Or what about the after market rims?

Also say i have an r6 and want to put an r1 forks in. How much modification is needed?
  2. If it were me I would not bother with R1 forks and aftermarket rims,
    go with what the bike was tested and designed with, you will have far less problems.
  3. IF you can find one with the same axle size and width, or make spacers, or different bearings. Then you would have to look at brake disc mountings/offset/size, etc.

Rare and expensive. Call Mick Hone motorcycles in Melbourne and ask how much they are at the moment (they might have a sale on??)

The easiest (ha!) way would be to use a complete R1 front end so that it all fits together, and just have a custom steering stem pressed into the yokes etc. Oh, and maybe custom bearing sizes, etc.

Although, I don't know where you'll find a complete R1 front end in good condition at an affordable price.
  4. Yeah mate having put an 02 R1 front end on my 89 GSXR 1100 it is definately possible. IF it isn't a direct swap at most what you will need is to press out the steering stem from your R6 yokes and press them into the lower for the R1, everything else wil fit fine. As for the wheel i'm sure it can be done, just a matter of getting some measurments then doing a bit of research.