Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need someone in the know 2T

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by shippy_, Sep 7, 2007.

1. i have a 1999 rs125 i love it it suits my riding style BUT i would like to do a big weekend ride ie (ride from Newcastle to Sydney stay at dads overnight, go on the learners run organised by users on this site, go back to dads then come home the follwing day i am asumeing this will be a aprox 700km weekend can i do it on the 2T mechanicaly and No i dont want to rebuild when i get back thkz and any questions welcome

2. Of course you can do that ride' just don't expect under all circumstances for it to be an enjoyable experience.

You should avoid the freeway or you'll either get blown off the road, or sucked into the air-intake of a 30-ton truck.

And on the ride, don't necessarily expect to be able to keep up with the pace of all the other riders.

But as long as you are prepared to ride the bike within its own limitations, you can ride it round Australia if you like.....

{just take some oil and a couple of spare spark plugs with you :LOL:}.
  3. lol ur tops thkz buddy
  4. What Paul Said, plus don't forget to book in with the Chiropractor for when you get back home.
  5. make sure u factor in the shite fuel range of 2T. I think the rs125 is ok.
  6. Lol hornet.

Take some extra spark plugs and only use good ones shit ones will melt and destroy your top end (as i found out). Fill up the 2t tank

change gear/RPMS when on the free way.

Blast the 4 stroke noobs on the corners.

If i ever take a 2T again anywhere im guna carry a spare top end with me. Just in case.
  7. Its not that bad! A bit sore and uncomfortable after a while. Just make sure you take 2T oil. My petrol consumption isn't too bad.
  8. I am assuming that you have an Aprilia RS125.

A quick search didn't help me find the correct recommendation, but the most important thing is to have the correct spark plug fitted.

When running around town many (foolish) owners and bike shops recommend fitting a hotter plug to reduce fouling. This is usually completely unnecessary on modern two strokes with electronic ignition and the like.

A hotter plug than normal will very quickly cause major engine damage when you are travelling under freeway conditions, or sustained high speeds of 90 kmh or more. Sometimes even at less than this!

If the recommendation is for a 9 grade plug (our NSR150 uses a NGK B9ECS) and an 8 is fitted, then you can expect to melt a hole in the piston within a short period. Other plug brands use different numbers to represent the heat range.

Check that you have the correct spark plug by heat range - if not, you won't make it.

Best wishes for a happy, trouble-free ride

Trevor G
  9. i have the weaker spark plug siting in my tool box i just whent out and brought the iridium (br10eix i think ) it runs so much cleaner but when traveling on the freeway i will take your advise and put the weaker br9 in thkz mate
  10. NO!!

You misunderstood. :)

The 9 is hotter - it will detonate at sustained speed. The 10 is the colder plug, and if that is the one recommended then you should use it, even around town, unless it fouls up and won't run at all. Only around town at 60 km or less should you run a hotter plug and ONLY if you need to.

With electronic ignition and a bit of throttle in the power band you should not be fouling plugs, even around town.

Trevor G

PS With NGK the lower the number the hotter the plug. A 7 is hotter than an 8 which is hotter than a 9 and so on. A hot plug does not make your bike perform better, it just reduces plug fouling at very low speed. But the penalty is it will overheat at high speed and melt a hole in the piston.
  11. you can tour on a 2 stroke. i had a brand spanking new RGV250 back when you could have them on your "L's" and we used to do sydney to bathurst for lunch then back. i even went touring up to noosa heads with some mates for a weeks holiday. but on that trip i fell in love with a touring bike (in comparison) so i got a GSXR750 shortley after.

my RGV never went bang. but i ALWASE ran full synthetic 2T oil and used to flog the ring out of it most of the time and it was fine for the 12,000 km i had it for.
  12. Plugs won't destroy an engine, a bad tune will.
    You know the best thing you can do to a 2 stroke, ride it, ride it hard, ride it lots.

Regards, Andrew.
  13. Just wondering, Andrew: With electronic ignition and no points on board, how do you "tune" a modern 2 stroke? Or, how does the tuning get "out" on a modern 2 stroke?

Trevor G
  14. yeah good point extactly wat is there to tune on a modern 2 stroke.

Other then a bit of de carbonisation.
  15. It has carbs right? Do I have to spell it out?

Regards, Andrew.
  16. I would appreciate if you would spell it out for me.

Just what do you "tune" on a single carb bike? The idle mixture? That only works at idle, not above. It has absolutely no effect above idle.

Regards :)

Trevor G
  17. well i suppose u can reject and richen but thats if u made other mods.

I still dont see what there is to tune.

I wana hear u spell it out aswell
  18. the oil pump can wear, leading to more or less oil than needed.
    Then you have needle and nozzel, they wear and a lttle wear throws out the mixture. Float needles wear, causing overfilled float bowls and rich mixtures.
    Reed's break, pistons and rings wear, powervalves, and their cables etc.
  19. Back in the 70s two stroke off-road bikes, especially, frequently had an extra plug hole tapped in the head.

This could be used for a compression release (helped with engine braking, a bit like exhaust brakes on trucks) or a spare spark plug.

That was fine, unless someone left a "hot" plug, often used to start a stubborn 2 stroke, in the head for any length of time.

Even without a spark lead attached, the centre porcelain in the plug heats up. The longer the porcelain insulator in the plug, the hotter it gets = the difference between a hot and a cold plug.

Within a few kms of hard riding the starting (hot) plug retains so much heat that it causes pre-ignition or detonation of the fuel, because it remains glowing all the time. Detonation results in erosion of the piston crown, which is another way of saying, "It melts a hole in your piston."

It happened then, and still does now, not because people can fit two spark plugs, but when they fit a hotter than normal plug for some misguided reason. There are people in these forums who have experienced just that.

The factory service manual for the NSR150 has a warning bulletin printed in it, because the spares catalogue lists the wrong heat range of plug, a B8 series when it should be a B9. The sticker on the fuel tank on NSRs shows the correct heat range plug, a B9ECS. The warning bulletin points out that even just fitting an 8 can result in engine damage under highway use.

This is such an important piece of advice for anyone interested in preserving their engine: Never use a hotter than standard plug, especially on the highway or at sustained high speed.

Trevor G
  20. Idle adjustment, pilot jets, main jets, oil injection rate, timing, air filter etc. Being a two stroke, unless it is very new, you never know what some"expert" has done to the carbs. Eevryone fcuks with em because they either dont know how to ride/run them(fouled plugs, oil buildup, poor choke management) or think they know better.
    In other words, keep the bike tuned up.
    One thing I learnt after many years of outboard motor ownership (some very large ones too), early and regular maintenence makes them go forever, ignoring such things meant a tow home or worse.
    I wish I had a dollar for every outboard I fixed by just returning everything back to stock settings and using the correct and properly mixed oil.

RRegards, Andrew.