Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need some tips wheelie stopie

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by crutch, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Ok my every day bike is a NSR150 its a two stroke 1 cylinder 150cc sports for those that dont know (stock standard)

Jusst like this one
    *rolling on the power is out of the questions as it acheivesnothing
    *I think the riding postion is so low to the ground its difficult to pull of on this bike

My problem is i cant seem to wheeli it while sitting in the front seat. I can get the wheel up maybe 30-40cm when i drop the clutch and reving the tits of it. This im doing at about 20kms/perhr. But the power drop is huge and i cant sustain it. Drop about 50% of the rpmm after i drop it

My mate can pop a nice wheelie same method but sits on the pillon seat on the same bike. Not safe of comfy as farm as im concerned.

-First of i wana know if it can be done on my NSR

- I have tried jumping on the pegs and drop the clutch will tryin to pull the bars and it seems very unstable i get the feeling im guna come of if i keep tryin it

-Will i ever manage a stopie is it even possible here

-And no posts just get a bigger bike mate, i would if i could ever survive on 4 demerit points for a year
  2. crutch -

Your main problem here, sorry to say, is that you have an NSR150. Nice bike, but not a stunt machine.

Of course you can wheelie anything, if you have the mechanical sympathy of a baboon, good natural balance, a liking for skin grafts and an enthusiasm to cane your bike into scrap metal.

Best method on the NSR150 would be to stand on the pegs, (or on rear seat like your mate) slow roll forward, a ton of revs and clutch dump. Whatever the method, keep the rear brake covered, always. Your bike has no engine braking to speak of, so the rear brake is the only thing that'll save a flip.

Nobody this side of Rossi (and I suspect him, too...) ever learned to wheelie without flipping a dozen or so times. Or more. How much do you care about your bike?

Stoppies are easy. Roll forward slowly, ease on front brake as you throw your weight well forward, then grab the front brake HARD and up you go. Then probably crash. (repeat bit about Rossi and how much you value your bike)

I learned wheelies and stoppies on nice soft dirt on a nice, cheap, chuckable dirt bike, then transposed the skills to road bikes. Save up a few hundred dollars, find a mate with a paddock and do the same.

Again...your problem is mostly the bike. You will, eventually chuck it away learning this stuff. And even if by some miracle you don't, you'll thrash your clutch, chain, sprockets and engine prematurely.

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but why not look after your NSR and get a handle on the stunts in the dirt first?

3. Bollocks.

I agree with the rest of this though, it's a shit bike to learn to wheelie on.

Stoppies, however, should be a piece of piss.
  4. I start wheelies at 80-100kmh & by the time the wheel is down is usually
    around 160-170km/h & I've yet to ever drop a bike since I started riding 10yrs ago.
  5. Hmmm.

Maybe I need to qualify that.

Never flipped any of my road bikes. Or even got close. Ducati 900SS was a doddle, ZX/9R was ridiculously easy, ZZR600 poses more of a challenge, but certainly no flips.

But during my pimply, reckless, "let's see how far I can take this" days of riding/racing two stroke dirt bikes, I went through more rear guards than the doorman at the Dark Star Saloon. Had a ball, mind you, but chucked it away and wound up on my hairy bum, laughing my head off, more times than I care to count.

Best flip was a 120kph plus throw-away on a dried mud lake bed whilst testing the limits of an RM400. I've never seen a bike cartwheel that far.

So okay, I stand corrected. Yep, there are probably folks out there who ace it with zero flips. But I'm glad I'm not out there, on tar, on a 150cc two stroke (that probably, for the moment, still has a tail light...) giving it a go for the first time. Ow!

6. Thanks for clarifying OB :LOL:

Ditto to last paragraph. Ouch! :eek:hno:
  7. Thanks for the help old blue.
    to clarify a few thing i rescued the nsr from a wrekers its got half the fairing missing the other half is broken. i have already prematurely blown up the engine and rebuilt the top end and i know how to weld ABS plastic.

Part that disturbes me is that i got air bubles in my back breaks last time i tried to do a few wheelies.

Havnt go around to tryin stopies, thanks for tellin me how
  8. There are Aussie stunt sites to browse for that kinda info. If you havent got the link lemme know & I'll look for it.
  9. What causes you to go into a stoppie rather then locking the front wheel up. Both seem to involvee grabbing the front brake hard, whats stopping you from trying to do a stoppie, grabbing the front brake and locking it?

10. A few things come into play:

1) Tyres - should be grippy and heated up. You can't do stoppies on cold tyres. THEY MUST BE HOT. Lower than average tyre pressure helps too, for a bigger contact patch and quicker heat building.

2) Road surface - You get a definate sense of which bits of road are appropriate to stoppie on: clear, flat, grippy, smooth, no paint, no oil, no gravel. Coming up to traffic lights is usually a shitty place to stoppie.

3) Suspension - if your forks are bottoming out on a stoppie attempt, you're not going to be able to do safe stoppies. You need to have suspension travel left when the entire weight of the vehice and rider are on the forks, otherwise any slight surface irregularity will cause the tyre to slip. And that's bad.

4) Tezznique - Set up and squeeze, don't just grab the brakes. Your right hand is managing the grip on the front tyre, your body position is managing the weight bias on the bike. I tend to stand up and lean forward just as the bike's pitching forward, it helps the rear come up. The best way to learn is just to do heaps of hard emergency stops with front brake only, and you'll instinctively work out how the back comes up. Do it in a car park.

5) Luck - when you're learning to stoppie, you'll probably slide the front a few times getting a sense of the tyres, the road surface and what you're asking of the bike. It's pure luck and good reactions that will let you do this and stay upright. It's easy to crash.

Happy stoppies!
  11. Hmmmm... I remember a couple of bikes up on there fronts on the approach to an intersection on just this manner at some point...

Tell us why you don't do it again Loz :LOL:
  12. Hey now, it was Pommyboy that bounced along on his front tyre at full lock and nearly flipped it at that particular intersection!

Anyway, I said it's a shitty place to do it. I can't help it that sometimes it's the only chance you get on a long ride! I don't recommend learning to get the back wheel up at intersections, there's more weird factors to deal with.

Anyway, we're both still doing baby stoppies. I need to find some time to go practice and try to get 'em rolling like the big boys.
  13. Hi Loz

Great description/tips and photo, but why the hell is there a toaster in the photo?
  14. stoppies

yeah, the first thing i thought when I looked at that photo was "why is there a toaster in the pic?"
    Whats with that?
  15. Haha everyone loves the toaster!

I forgot to mention, stoppies go much better with toasters. Do not attempt to do stoppies without a toaster, bad things happen. In an emergency, you can use a waffle iron.
  16. Got it. I thought you may have worked a unique way of warming up your tyres!