Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

need some licensing advice

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by kave, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok heres the situation with me...
    End of october I was caught by a cop doing 100+ in a 60 zone, so 30-45 km/hr over. Now that offence carries a penalty of 5 demerit points, and i'm on P1 (red) so I only have 4 points. That would mean that instead of the usual 3 month suspension, I would get 6 months. However, I am now eligible to apply for a P2 (green), and the RTA still hasn't been notified about my offence since I havent paid the fine yet (I have until the end of december). I know on the RTA form they ask if you have any suspensions pending, but since they have no way of knowing until I pay the fine (then the debt recovery office notifies them), is there any way I would get caught or punished for lying on the form and upgrading to P2 now. Coz if I upgrade to P2, I will have 7 points instead of 4 and thus will only be suspended for 3 months instead of 6.

What do you guys reckon? Just cop the 6 months on the chin, or try the upgrade and risk more fines or whatever?

2. gotta cop it on the chin. i'm searching for the info at the moment but i'm sure someone will pipe up before i find it
  3. Simple solution, go the P2 upgrade.....then when the time comes they 'suspend' your licence you come out the other side of it your on P2 not P1.

In other bad news checking the victoads website suggests that 35-45kph over is a 6 pointer

from the victoads site...( although you don't say your in the beige garden state, I'm guessing you are..)

"Demerit point offence notification
    If you commit an offence which carries demerit points, VicRoads will send you a letter which lists how many demerit points you have accumulated and the details of the offence(s).

If you have a:
    full driver licence and get 12 or more demerit points in any 3 year period; or
    learner permit or probationary driver licence and you get 5 or more demerit points in any 12 month period or you get 12 or more demerit points in any 3 year period,

you will be advised by VicRoads that you have these demerit points and given a notice with two options, as follows.

Options available

Option 1: Keep your permit / licence
    You can elect to keep your licence but you must not accumulate any other demerit points during a 12 month period specified on your option notice or your permit/licence will be suspended for double the time that it would have been suspended under option 2.

If you choose option 1 you should call VicRoads on 1300 555 325 (this automated service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week) and confirm your option selection at least seven days before the option 2 suspension is scheduled to commence.

Option 2: Suspend your permit / licence
    If you choose option 2 you do not need to respond to the option notice. Your licence suspension will start on the date specified in this notice. The suspension period will be three months for the first 12 points (or 5 points if you have a learner permit or probationary licence) plus one month for every additional four points listed in the option notice.
    A demerit point suspension cannot be imposed or operate concurrently with any other licence suspension or cancellation."

The refernece is "probationary driver licence" not specifying P1 or P2. So I would guess that either way you have 3 months of the public transport system
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.