Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need some further (re)instruction... {moved from general}

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by DuaneDibbley, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

Firstly - I hope this is the right sub-forum... It didn't seem to fit with the tips/instruction forums so if the mods feel it should be moved please do!

I've been riding for about 18mo now. Started with the CB400 and loved it. Felt hooked up with the bike all the time. Felt like I was riding the wheels off it and had a blast. Every ride.

I've stepped up to a Street Triple with a -1 front sprocket, 1050 throttle tube and a Quickshifter and (even before the mods) I've felt completely disconnected from the bike. Initially the shock was flat out with my weight so that was replaced with a stupid expensive one.

I still feel like I'm riding like a total muppet. Get off the bike after most rides feeling disappointed with myself and the ride. It's probably about 8/10 rides I get off and feel worse than when I got on now.

So before I go spend more money getting the forks upgraded internals or blow a shit ton more money on a new bike I can't afford I think will fit me better (6"3 and 105kg - thinking multistrada...) I think I should go get some coaching.

Any recommendations for places around Brisbane in QLD? I'm not looking for a twist of the wrist style racing coaching. It seems to be the basics I've lost my command of. Simple stuff of where my body sits and arms and wrists go all seems to be wrong and as a result the whole ride suffers.

Suggestions/recommendations very welcome!
  2. How did the CB400 compare to the Street Triple in terms of size?
  3. Similar. A little smaller and a tiny bit heavier compared to the Street Triple.
  4. Chin up. I'm no expert and don't know of any courses in QLD but here is my 2c. If you loved riding your last bike then I'd say the skillset is there. If you feel totally disconnected and basically uncomfortable on the new bike then that is going to be your focus and therefore your riding will suffer. Were you fairly confident with your riding before this bike? Having said that obviously any course is worthwhile doing and can only make you a better rider,but you may have to look at your riding and the bike as a whole and work out which one is really the issue. If it is the bike, what can you get that might suit better for the same price you could sell the Triple for? Oh and last but not least cheer up. You'll work it out and learn to love riding again.
  5. The way I read your post it seems like you think the size of the bike may be a problem, but the CB400 was smaller and you said it felt fine which makes it sound like it is a mental thing?
  6. Thanks, mate. I was fairly confident on the last bike. Could easily keep up with my usual riding buddy on his Street Triple around the mountains. Last time out with us both on Street Triples I couldn't stay with him like I used to.

Yeah - really do need to work out whether it's me or the bike. It's basically been pretty bad the whole time I've owned it. I originally put it down to learning a new bike. After a few thousand kilometres it should have gotten better :p

Yeah, def not the physical size of the bike. Could be an ergo issue I spose. I'd say a lot of it will be mental on my part. I'm constantly screaming at myself in my head to loosen up on the bars. Always feel unconfident with the front end when cornering.
  7. Dude, you've stepped onto a bike which is an awesome bit of kit. In all honesty, I think you have a mental block and when riding spend more time worrying about that than task of riding.
    I think you need a 'reset'. Go back to the basics of riding, stop concentrating on having to keep up with your mate or why you arent keeping up any more.

BTW, I don't understand the gearing change people make, to me it's perfect the way it is, even the throttle, why make it snappier than what it is for the street?

We all react differently. First time I went out on the Striple, hit a fimiliar road with a mate on his R1, I sort of kept up with him on the Duc, but this time passed and kept pulling distance. At the end of the road we pulled over and he said he'd never seen me ride like that before, but I'm super comfortable on the Striple.
  8. Yep, there's clearly something mental at play here. I've tried purely concentrating on basic riding skills and it helps to an extent. As soon as I have to do two thing at once I regress.

Ie noticed my throttle arm sticks out on a weird angle with elbow almost locked which is retarded.

Might check out Bernie hatton. Ta.

Also, considering going back to the standard throttle cam tomorrow. Don't know if that will help though as the problem has been around for as long as ive had the bike.
  9. If it's any consolation to you, I found the CB400 a supremely comfortable and easy bike to ride. So much so that I would have one back in the shed tomorrow if I could.
  10. What you need to do is master the basics on the triple again.
    Just like you did on the ceebee.
    Your confidence is down and that's a real headfark.
    It's nothing to do with the bike man. Don't throw any more money away.

The Triple is way stiffer and meaner than the ceebee. It has you at the moment.
    If you can get up the Sunny coast one weekday arvo I will take you out and see what's what.
    Otherwise I suggest you go out for a ride yourself.
    Do not push yourself at all. Just go out and enjoy the bike and the ride. Take it easy..nice relaxing fun is the goal.
    The triple is inductive to hard riding. The sound, the feel lol it's really hard not to get up one.
    But yeah just go out and enjoy it. Ride at a pace that you feel in control. Maybe do one road up and back a few times. Stop in between and think about it...
  11. Its geared too tall from the factory, 6th is basically useless as the bike has no pull in 6th, overtaking needs a drop back a cog or two. I agree -1 front is a touch too short for the Streetys, but still better than stock. I went +2 on the rear with my second Street, it was spot on.

-You cant legally do 240kmh odd +
    -It wont pull all the way through 6th unless you happen to be on the nullabor
    -May as well get the power down where you want it, quicker off the line, better drive out of corners etc etc.

Re: the throttle, with the stock tube you need a 2nd grab to really get full throttle, or you end up with your elbow nearly on the ground. With the Speed Triple tube with the bigger cam you can easily get it wide open.

Probably not mods for people with poor throttle control as both with make things worse, but its such a sweet motor its easy to ride smoothly.

Those two mods made the bike much much better for me.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Interesting...
    I have no issue with the gearing or gearing down when required. I wouldn't even consider north of 200 on a Striple a buck sixty is just about enough. If I want sheer grunt I jump on my other bike and mid two's arent an issue.

I don't think I've ever had to get a second grab on the Striple or been uncomfortable at full throttle.
  13. Exactly, I think $1.60 is about as fast as you need on a naked bike, so why not get there a whole lot quicker? Even with -1 front sprocket they do 218ish on the limiter in top, which as you said is more than fast enough. The shorter gearing also makes 6th a lot nicer gear, it actually has some pull instead of being a bit sluggish like they are stock.
    They're a lot more lively and a lot more fun with shorter gearing, its like the stock bike fun + 50% extra :D
    Given what you ride I can safely assume the Streety is the fun bike? Trust me they're even more fun with those two mods!
    Yes I could hit full throttle with the stock tube as well, but the 1050 one just makes it easier to get more into it.
    Im hardly lining up on the GP grid any time soon, but I never had a problem and neither will anyone with half decent throttle control, its not a huge jump, just enough to notice and make life easier.

Just remember to fire up tune ecu and do the "reset adaption values" after any mods, especially the throttle tube one.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Got to say, unless your a wheelie junky I can't see why you'd fiddle with the gearing on the streety.

I'm 6ft3in and I hear ya re the bike being a bit small. I'm in the same boat as you, was going to buy a multi early next year but decided to save my pennies and put them towards a house...
  15. You're right, the stripe is the comfortable fun bike, the duc is balls out, hard to ride but rewarding when you get it right. Oh, shit happens a lot quicker on it too!
  16. Thanks guys.

I'm going to try and get in a fair bit of riding this weekend in between all the house chores I have to do.

Will take it right back to basics. Nice slow changes (no quick shifter) and slow gentle turns etc.

See how I go. I've wanted a Triumph triple for ages. It's the bike which made me want a bike. It's a shame to be having so many issues with riding mine now!

Thanks for the offers or rides to suss me out. I'll decline for the time being - too hard to try and find time away from work (hooray). But hopefully there'll be a net rider rider at some point to head along to.
  17. Yep, take it back to basics. Setup for the corners properly, correct throttle control and changes and slow everything down. Go out by yourself then there's no pressure to keep up or think you're holding up following riders. Keep in mind it probably turns a hell of a lot faster than the CB also. Turn points and lines need to be changed to have it working like it should with the right feel.

When I first got my triple (went from a GSX650F) it felt like it was going to tuck at the front on any direction change as it was that sharp and accurate compared to the previous bike. Still taking time to get used to that feel and have confidence it's not going to let go under me.

18. Yeah... I think i'm going to swap the throttle back just to back off the aggressiveness a bit until I have myself hooked into the bike again.

I managed to get a sit on a Multistrada today. Riding position feels so open and comfortable compared to the Triumph.
  19. Take most of the slack out of the throttle cables too, then fire up tuneecu and reset adaption values.

They ride much nicer with less slack in the cable, i left about 3mm (they do need someotherwise the throttle never reads 0%.

This is why you need to reset adaption after any changes/mods, as this includes the tps.

I guess the positive is with so many people happy with a damn awesome bike, you'll be loving it when you get comfy on it