Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need some cooking tips

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ZX_Ninja, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hola all, how are we?

So, how many master chiefs do we have here? I am trying put together a collection of quick, easy healthy recipes and wanted to see what you guys cook when in a rush. I generally work from 8 - 4.30, hit up the Gym from 5 - 6:15, by the time i get home, shower etc its already 7pm, hence why I am looking for quick fixes. Here are a couple examples of dishes I am talking about:

1) http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22208/dijon+pork+with+creamy+mash
    2) http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23630/beef+cucumber+salad
    3) http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18521/asian+carrot+and+sprout+salad

So, what do you guys cook when in a hurry?
  2. Stirfrys are always a winner

Brown meat, take out
    put veggies and spices in
    re-add meat add a little of your sauce of choice
    Add hokkien noodles, add more sauce, mix well
    Put in bowl, eat
  3. Sweet chilli chicken stir fry:

Brown chicken, add sweet chilli sauce, veggies of your choice, hokkien or singapore noodles to taste, serve with a squeeze of lemon.

10 mins max. Use prawns instead of chicken for some variety.
  4. I also like to cook up a few things that freeze / reheat well on the weekend
  5. mmm sounding good. Here is one I just picked up from a Canadian friend:

Oriental Chicken Salad

3/4c plain nonfat yogurt
    1Tbsp. smooth peanut butter
    1 Tbsp. rice-wine vinegar
    1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1/4 tsp ground coriander
    2c. cubed cooked chicken breast
    1 1/2c cooked cellophane noodles
    6 scallions, cut into 1" lengths
    1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
    8oz. can of water chestnuts, drained
    2c trimmed watercress or mixed salad greens
    4tsp. sesame seeds, toasted

In a bowl combine the yogurt, peanut butter, vinegar, oil, garlic & coriander.
    Add the chicken, cellophane noodles, scallions, bell pepper & water chestnuts;
    toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1hr. Sweve over greens, sprinkled
    with sesame seeds.
  6. trust u to put up a food thread
  7. really tbh
    find a good quality takeaway, and go seinfeild
  8. holster has it in one. Other good option is cook up big batch of bolognaise when you have the leisure and separate them into serves and stick them in the freezer.
  9. I've found the easiest thing to do is find a girlfriend/wife that is eager to please.
    Mind you, sometimes that's not as easy as it sounds.
  10. Agree with Holster, cook yummy stuff and freeze. Here are a couple of quick n, easy home made desserts. Both keep well, so you can have them again later on.

Loz's Brown Eyes
    Halve 4 - 6 peaches, nectarines, pears or apples.
    Take out the stone/core or whatever and gouge out a bit of the flesh from the cavities.
    Chop flesh and mix with 4 tablespoons of chopped walnuts or any other nuts, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and one egg and pile into the cavities.
    Generously butter an ovenproof dish, just large enough to hold the fruit.
    Arrange fruit in the dish and pour over a cup of orange juice or whatever wine you have opened. Bake for 30 minutes and have warm, hot or cold with the syrup spooned around.

Rich Fudge Sauce
    Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
    Stir in 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of golden syrup and cook stirring until the mixture is thick and sticky. Stir in 1 tablespoon of cocoa and 1/2 cup of cream and simmer for about 5 minutes until it becomes a rich thick sauce.
    Serve with vanilla ice cream.
    Note, this keeps well, so you can easily double the quantities. If you have under 15's in the house, they can cook it!
  11. Some good suggestions here!! And thanks for the link to the netrider recipe club, ill have a read.

I ended up cooking the Dijon pork with mash/peas/mushrooms (I think I linked it in my first post), modified it a little and put a slight honey coating on the pork chops ... turned out fantastic.

es - generally trying to keep it under 30mins max prep/cooking time
    Holster - good call on freezing for later
    Garfield - *dr00l* ... chocolate sauce !!!!!!
    twain - pasta salad looks good, ill have to try that one
    Goz - LOL, you expected any different from me ??? :)
  12. http://www.menulog.com.au/
    -> this is one of my favourite winter recipes for when i have run out of almost everything in the cupboards and CBFed going shopping

turn on oven to 220 degrees
    whatever veggies are in the fridge get chopped up (else whatever canned veggies i have!), mix in a can of lentils & a can of chopped tomatoes, then throw in the microwave for 5 min.

while thats cooking, prepare about 2 cups of instant potato mash

chuck the veggies, lentils and tomato mix into a baking dish (or several ramekins), cover with the potato mash, sprinkle on some cheese then put in the over for 15 min.

quick and easy - you dont even have to hover around the kitchen making sure nothing boils over.

13. Go to Mt Pritchard and get some Cevapi and kobasice, to easy
  14. steam some rice - add some pataks curry paste to it when its done for flavour

heat up some tuna and mixed vegetables in a pan

add to the rice and mix

takes about 10 minutes and $10 will feed you for 3 days
  15. yuk!!!
    Do not feed this to your next date.
  16. dont forget the sarma Goz
  17. I did - she asked me how to make it and i showed her at her place a few days later after she bought the ingrediants -- it actually comes out very very tasty ( i use rogan josh curry paste by pataks)

plus its very healthy -- its good bodybuilder food for muscle growth with low GI carbs and plenty of protein with no sugars and minimal fat
  18. was she just flattering you?