Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need some advice about an 05 R1

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dgug, May 6, 2008.

1. After several months of indecision, several test rides on various sportsbikes, I have decided that the R1 suits my needs/wants ( :p ).

I have found a 2005 R1 for sale at Peter Stevens that I like that has Arrow slip ons, a PC3 and K&N filter. The test ride was impressive (bike felt good), it has a full service history and was owned by one of the PS guys. Only problem (in my mind) is that is has 29,000kms on the clock. On the plus side, it has already had the 32,000km service, which is one less thing to worry about. And in typical PS style, they are asking $12,500 (which I think is a bit high considering the mileage, but I could be wrong).

So I have 2 questions, if anyone can give me their opinions
    1 - Is the higher than average mileage something to be concerned about?
    2 - What do you think would be a fair price for said cycle?

2. 1) no
    2) 10500
  3. 2K5 R1 was ludicrously overgeared, ~180kmh first gear IIRC.

Budget for a +3 rear sprocket.
  4. Loz, I had heard the same thing. I have read that some R1 owners have put the front sprocket from an 03 r1 on the 04-06 range, since it it 1 tooth less (same result, but cheaper and an OEM part too).

Thanks for the feedback, guys :)
  5. as much as i believe that owning an R1 questions your sexuality, let us know how you get on, and pics of what you get, when you get it :)

you do know the 'blade is far superior in all facets but top end speed and runs rings around it, though, dont you? ;) :LOL:

good luck dude.
  6. :rofl:
  7. Yes, true that - only reason I'd recommend a larger rear sprocket instead is that a smaller front actually forces more work onto each tooth, as well as making the chain bend more as it goes around - both of which contribute to faster chain wear - and superbike chains get a bit of a flogging. A larger rear actually makes life ever so slightly easier on the chain. Make sure it'll fit with chain guards etc though...
  8. Does this count as my official Netrider welcome?? Being sledged by a Mod :grin:

Just think how boring the blade would be if everyone owned one..... :p :LOL:

Good point, I'll keep that in mind
  9. :rofl: they are boring,everyone does own one.. :rofl:
    get the r1!
  10. pfft!
    you ride a spewzuki, they are made in oxford st arent they? :p