Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need new tyres ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by stokedpaz, Mar 16, 2011.

1. So I have no idea when it comes to tyres. I have a 2002 ZZR 250 and my back tyre is pretty squared off, cracked and dry. My mate had a quick look and reckons they were put on in 2004!! I have no idea how he worked that out.
    Anyway he said I need to get new ones, but wasn't very much help as he was busy with other shit.
    I've been looking around on the net for ages now. It looks like I need 140/70 17s on the rear and 100/80 17 on the front.

I was wondering if it mattered if I got a slightly different size? Another mate of mine says he gets his tyres from the US cheaper. On this site I found these Dunlop GT501s but they are 140/80. Would this make a difference? Are they even suited to my bike? http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&navType=type&webTypeId=229&prodFamilyId=19449&listingId=&sizeAttr=5346

2. don't muck around with tyres if you don't know what your on about.
    you put so much trust into tyres, just goto a dealer or tyres for bikes etc, and get them to fit what they recommended, if your worried about price ring around a few places and get it abit cheaper, I would hate to see you come off because you got a mate of a mate to fit your tyres and they f'd up

3. dont do the gt501's they are not a good tyre. Pirelli Pilot active I think it's called or the sport demon by a different company, can't remember which. They are both solid dependable learners tyres and changing them will feel like you just got on a completely different bike. I'd change both.

4. metzler lazertec may also be an option.

5. +1 from me,
    replace both, it will be a new bike

6. another plus one for the sports demons.

change both, and don't buy overseas for the first set. you're still new to this, and tyres are what keep us upright!

7. You may find them cheap OS, but you have no idea how old they are and how they're stored.

When they arrive they need to be fitted and balanced, that'll cost you too. Do the sums, then go to a reputable bike tyre dealer or bike shop. Same cost, better peace of mind and you support local industry.

8. I think you meant the 'pirelli sport demon' and the 'michelin pilot activ' :)

9. theres a 4 digit number on the sidewall of all tyres (cars included)
    mine says "3710" which translated means the 37th week of 2010

now you know how your mate knows :)

10. Maaaaaaaaate. How are you riding on tyres like that. They would be nuggets.
    Get what you have and go to a bike shop and get what you can get for what you have, quick.
    If you have been riding on tyres like that, then anything would be better. And you wont need mr sticky gumballs anyway.

11.  Top
  12. Thanks for the advice everyone!! I love that there are so many people here who give genuine advice and actually seem to care, even though you don't know me from a bar of soap. This is a great forum!
    I have held up from ordering online as per most of your suggestions. Will have a look at the Pirelli Sport Demons and the Pilots. Cheers for the suggestions.

A guy at work said he knows a trusty bike mechanic in Balmain who can have a look at my bike and give me honest advice re: tyres and O/S ordering. I shall also see what he says.

Bretto, I know. I have been riding on these shitty tyres, totally oblivious to how bad there were. Anything would be better! I do need to get something sorted before I go on another ride.

Stigger, how did the tyres from RMA go?

13. Sure we do, the soap smells better.

14. Touche

15. Good turned up in a week and worked well.

I spoke to Balmain tyes because they stock Maxxis scooter tyres to see if I could get Maxxis bike tyres which I'd had before, from what he said I'd crash as soon as I fitted anything he didn't stock. That was when I stopped listening to tyre people here.

16. Am up to my second set of sport demons, am riding the same bike, and love them. +another for sport demons.

17. Yeh on second thoughts I would go the demons over the pilots. Might not be all that different, but I never had demons let go while doddling round a damp cold corner. Pilots did though. While its not exactly a fair comparison as I never took demons round a cold (about 3 degrees, road probably colder) damp corner, the failure of one sticks in the mind stronger than the non-assessment of the other.

18. I used to run pilot roads also for the longevity but moved to a stickier tyre for a few years. Just a month ago I needed a new rear tho and Ive lost my job so I need a tyre that lasts,

I was chasing a battleax 020 but couldnt find any, and was recommended a pilot road II which now is dual compound apparently (stickier sides than the hard center)

It took a week for the tyre to start grabbing properly and it definatly seems stickier than the old original pilot roads sofar anyway (touch wood) and I would say its also stickier than the old 020 I had also (the 020 had a tendency to slide mid corner when powering on for me at least, I actually overheated that tyre and she changed colour to blue lol)

My favourite stickiest tyres Ive had were a matched set of pirelli diablo super corsas tho (think they were called)
    They didnt last long tho but jeeeezuz they stuck to anything!

Check out the pilot road II's over the old pilot road 1 before deciding I reckon (but you really cant go wrong with pirelli?)

19. They don't make a pilot road or a DSC in a 140 - it's the Activ or the Sport Demon

20. yep sorry your correct (the narrowest they have in pilot road 2 is a 150 rear)

I did find a list of tyres for 140/70 size which I pasted below for perusal incase theres a tyre you hadnt considered

Just remember, the new tyres will probably actually be slipperier than your old ones to begin with until you bed them in so take care!

Duro HF918 Sport Bias 140/70H17

Duro HF918 140/70H-17

Dunlop D208SM 140/70HR-17

Dunlop K505 140/70H-17

Pirelli Sport Demon 140/70H-17

Michelin Pilot Activ 140/70H-17

Bridgestone Battlax BT-090 140/70R-17 Radial

Bridgestone Battlax BT45H 140/70H-17

Bridgestone Battlax 003 140/70ZR17 M/C (66W) TL Radial

Bridgestone Battlax 92 140/70R17 M/C 66H TL

Bridgestone Battlax BT-39 140/70-17

Avon AM26 Roadrider 140/70V-17