Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help with take off

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mick No:8, Oct 21, 2007.

1. I having problem taking off smoothly on my CBR. I rev to hard when takein off. I think I kind of panic/ rush at the light to find my "first clutch". The bike we uses at Armstrong was CB, and I took off find there was more play in the throttle. Since the CBR is a high reving bike a little twist of the wrist and it off. I can't seem to hold it right on 3-4000 rmp. Any help would be great.

2. Mick, I take off a little slower than most - I'm a newbie, I'm more concerned about keeping upright!! Maybe do some stretches with traffic lights and little traffic to get a bit more confidence. You'll find that balance soon enough.
  3. To get a better feel on the clutch, when you know the light's about to change, let the clutch out just enough that you can feel it pulling on the bike. You'll hear the engine note change just slightly. At this point, all you need to do is roll gently on the throttle while releasinig the last of the clutch slowly, too.

No big rev before the clutch takes up.

Oh, and as Easyrollin said, RELAAAAAAAXXXXXxxxxxx....
  4. Throttle control is always going to be a bit off when you're first starting out, probably more so on a I4.

My suggestion, go to a quiet carpark/road in an industrial estate or something similar and practice your take offs.
  5. Maybe even use a bit of back brake, use releasing that slowly rather than worrying about balancing the clutch so much.
  6. If that is the rev count when you are trying to take off that might be the first problem. The CBR250RR needs about 10,000rpm to properly take off in first gear, and a delicate touch with the clutch as you gently release. Gear changes after 1st can be done with a quick clutch action but 1st needs some practice and a lack of hesitation about revving it up before launch.

A well tuned CBR250RR should rev out to over 20,000rpm so don't worry that you are thrashing it at 10,000rpm.
  7. OP is not launching at the Moto GP :!:
    FFS thats the worst advice I've seen here for a while.
    Its about clutch control which all n00bs have to master.
    4000rpm should be plenty in traffic.
    It will also save the OP from posting in 4 weeks time "why is my clutch stuffed"?
  8. Sounds like just more practice. You know you don't have to launch like a rocket at every set of lights...

As the others have said, find abit of space & practice getting some revs, & finding your bite point on the clutch. That way you get better at releasing that little bit out & fine tuning your take offs.

It maybe that the bite point is too far out as well. I find it more comfortable to adjust the cable in so the bite point is closer & I don't release so much of the clutch before it engages. (Hope you get what I mean)

Also use to kill the nerves when I was learning thinking, wheres that point..little more clutch.....little more.....
  9. also make sure you are slipping the clutch out and not just dumping it
  10. I can see where you are coming from here but I am just relaying my experience with a 250 sports bike. The rev range I described sounds high, particularly if you are used to inline twin or v-twin 250s but the inline four has very little low end torque.

Eventually the OP will find their comfort range for take off but the reason I suggested 10k is that the baby Ninja I used to ride (very similar ride dynamics to the CBR250RR) laboured badly at less than 7k when taking off, I found that 10k was enough for it to do so comfortably (but not necessary quickly, this was just a suburban traffic takeoff). If the OP is lighter than me then takeoff can be modified for lower revs (I was about 95Kg at the time) but 4k is low for such a high revving engine. Thats the takeoff rev range for a VTR250 or similar. The sudden surge the OP was feeling was probably partly due to the engine overcoming the labouring lag.

Also, with 10k the clutch point is more obvious.

If you feel that your takeoff is too fast, pull the clutch in and always keep your mind on how to stop. Feathering the rear brake when taking off is also an option but more complicated, particularly when just starting out.

As for clutch burnout, the Ninjas didn't.

Mick No8., feel free to ignore my advice above but I stand by the following

Practice fine control of the clutch.
  11. turn off the PC, gear up and go practice, that's the only thing that will make you better.
  12. 10000rpm for taking off in traffic for a newbie? No, just no.

What you want to avoid is high rpm whilst learning how to control the clutch, it'll just confuse things. As others have said, get to know where your friction point is and practice throttling on whilst releasing it from that point.
  13. I'd kill myself if I had my zzr at 10000rpm for the takeoff. I try to hold it at about 2 - 2.5 and just slip the clutch slowly. I can still beat most things off the lights without trying too hard so it's not like you should be worried about tootling off the line. (As a learner you shouldn't be anyway - who cares if you're not the first off the line, you're on a bike - that makes you infinitely more cooler than any pimped-up P plater in their accessorised Excel)

I found when I first got my bike I had to sit there for a little while and find a comfortable rev range. Sitting in first, clutch in and just hold the throttle on to the point that feels comfortable and doesn't sound like you're trying to wring a sewing machine to death. Then once you can find the rev range over and over again.. find the clutch point.

I used to hate traffic lights when I first started. Now I only hate round-abouts. It just takes time and practice.
  14. Personaly i think you should be doing Launches on the ZZR 250 in the 4 - 6k when you are getting it sorted. After that you start looking to 6K + launches.

One of the interesting things though is as you get better you can launch more reliably both at higer and lower revs. Higher by feeding the clutch out slowly without jolting forward.
    And lower by ballancing the clutch and teh revs so the revs don't dump on you when the motor is loaded.

At the end of the day smooth clutch release is what you are after, the rev range can be anything you want once you get confident with the clutch work. the higher it is the more ware you will do on your clutch, though a confident well released clutch will minimise this.
  15. Why does people post longer and longer when you go further in to the tread?? As the topic just asks for a little advice on just how to take off. Mayb it's just me that I just work up :!:

Anyways back to the topic. I just slip the clutch when I take off. When you feel that you're at the friction point roll on the throtle abit and release the clucth slowly. It shoud get you moving. Taking off is fine at most revs. As low as 2.5k and as high as 10k just as long as you let the clutch out slowly no matter what revs.
  16. Good thing no-one suggested you try that on an inline twin 250 like the ZZR250 then!

The CBR250RR is geared much lower than the ZZR as it has much less low end torque and a much larger rev range. 10k rpm in first on a ZXR250 will have you travelling at somewhere around 20-25kph when the clutch is fully released. The CBR250RR would be similar. Aiming for 3-4k gives a starting, full clutch released speed of close to 10kph. At that rev range no wonder the engine feels twitchy.

It has been said that the in-line 4 sport 250s aren't the best bikes for learners as they are less forgiving on takeoff. They need to be ridden differently to non-sport bikes and direct comparisons between the different classes of bikes isn't particularly valid.

As Falcon-Lord said, taking off on a ZZR250 should be between 4-6k rpm in most situations. Personally I think that taking off at 2-2.5k is under-revving the engine which isn't good for it. But if it works for you then enjoy.
  17. just for the record, i need about 6-8,000rpm to get my bandit 250 (inline 4 cyl) clean off the line. pick about the same revs on the CBR and you'll be fine.

and again, go out and practice! :!:
  18. WIDE STANCE and clench your cheeks...high revs, then dump the clutch when you're ready.

19. This is a interesting question, i would think if you can do it on the cb250, that maybe it's a issue with the bikes controls, ie...Have you by any chance got a sticking throttle cable or clutch cable, both of these could be making it harder to get a nice smooth take off.....

if not +1 take it to friction point and apply throttle, while releasing clutch....