Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need Help with rego in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Dr DRIFT, Sep 29, 2006.

1. I am currently looking at buying a bike from NSW and it is registered up there. I am going to get it trucked to Melbourne. The thing I wanted to know is, Do I just have to get a roadworthy and bring paperwork and no. plate to vic roads to do the transfer or do I have to front the bike. Does the bike have to go over the pits or is it just a matter of paperwok only?
    Thanks for your help.... :?:

2. I take it the bike is not registered in your name in NSW or cannot be? If not I would have thought it would atleast need to visit a VicRoads centre. When I brought a car up from Tassie which was in my name a VicRoads bloke had to give it a once over.
  3. No i am planning to buy it monday? Would that make a big difference?
  4. When I bought my bike in QLD 6 years ago, I needed to bring the bike into a VicRoads office for inspection as it's not on their database (I think).
  5. ring Vicroads & ask as NSW laws are tougher than ours & require a RWC each year over 5 years old to re-register. You may just need a RWC & transfer papers & copious amounts of cash! Remember to ask the operator their name! You may need to quote it back later!
  6. I bought a bike from S.A last yaer and had all the documentation etc,.
    Yes, you will need to front the bike. If it doesn't have plates, you'll have to get a 24hour or week long 'exemption' and carry this with you in case the police pull you over.(It's no good just to have an exemption, you must HAVE IT ON YOU- trust me, I learned that the hard way)
    A tip might be- get the seller to wright a reciept for less than you paid to avoid excessive stamp duty payment to Vic-Roads.
  7. I bought mine from NSW only 2 months ago & registered it in Vic so this was my experience:

Yes the bike had to go over the pits at a VicRoads office
    Yes a prior appointment booking was necessary (about a week's notice)
    Yes although a time was booked, was still be left waiting past that time
    Yes a current RWC is required if the rego has expired
    Yes proof documents of sale & purchase are required to be produced
    Yes stamp duty & any other fees are to be paid on the day
    Yes a Vic plate was provided on the day
    Yes the rubber stamp hitting the rego papers was expensive & time consuming :LOL:
    Yes check with VicRoads for clarification in case changes or circumstances are different
    Yes check if the bike has a rego holder as you may have to get one
    Yes thats addtional !!
    Yes make sure you are insured before you ride.

Good luck with your purchase
    I know mine was worth the effort :grin:
  8. Cheers everyone for your reply and advice!
    I am finding it confusing.....
    Some people been telling me yes it has to go to vic roads and some are saying that you only need rwc and receipts and the such.... I went to the vic road site and it says that only some/certain vechiles will need to be fronted but most will not? WTF... Even they can't make up there mind on the internet site! How am I supposed to give this guy in Sydney a deffinite answer before Monday without knowing myself how much of a stuff around it gonna be to tranfer the papers..
    The bike is currently registered until the end of november.
    He says it is rwc?
    It is a cheap buy if Vic roads don't stuff me around.?
    Afew peps said its a good buy but some say interstate buy is a real F*** around?
    Really not sure what to do?
  9. Didn't want to say (in my earlier post) because didn't want to be a wet blanket , and i know buying a bike is a very exciting time BUT...

If I had known the hassle and extra costs I was up for, I definitely would NOT do it again. There's heaps of good bikes (priced well ) here in Vic. Just be patient , something will always come along.

The other consideration is that IF the bike's been a repairable write-off in another state, it won't show up on the Vic-Roads database. Whereas if you buy a bike thats always been in Victoria, you can check this way before you hand over the $.

According to Vic-Roads, there's a ton of people get stung this way every year, both with cars and bikes.