Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help with problems after repair..

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by BulletProof, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Here's the scenario in a nutshell.. bought my bike used with 40,000kms on the clock but in top nick with service history, pre-purchase inspection done, etc. and I rode it to work in the CBD everyday for 3 months without any mechanical/electrical issues.

I get in a bit of a stupid accident (my fault), dented the front fender of the bike and sorted it out with the insurance. I used their repairer (who is a major repairer for all the big name insurance companies in Melbourne) and it takes two weeks for parts and work to be done - no complaints so far.

However I get the bike back from them and after commuting for 4 days the battery went flat on me, thankfully in front of my garage. After a bit of back and forth, it was determined that the problem was the stator.

Now I don't know much about bike electrics, but it seems a might suspicious to me that something that never gave me issues before suddenly acts up within a few days after sitting at their garage for 2 weeks.

Am I justified in these suspicions? If so what can I do? There's a $600+ bill for the stator rewinding which I will have to pay otherwise (on top of the excess + inexperienced rider loading).

2. Coincidental imho.
    Stator shouldn't pack it in just because the bike sits there for 2 weeks.
    Just bad luck.
  3. Thanks Smee. Didn't realise it could just go like that! Oh well :cry:

Edit: I was thinking more along the lines of bad electrical connections when they set the bike back up or when the stop was welded?