Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help with lubricant on summer

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by revo400QLD, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hi guys, just wondering the summer is coming now and the weather is getting hot. So I just don't know which oil is suit for my bike.i used to have motul 10w- 40. Research through Internet I found out some recommend about 15w- 50 motul. Anyone have experience please share with me. And what makes synthetic oil too expensive And any pros from using that kind of oil.

Any other brand that I have to consider instead of motul. I normally used shell or castrol for my car. But almost everyone ride a bike ask me to use motul cause that is best for My bike. I am riding a revo cb400.

Thank for reading guys...

2. Cooking oil is good if you like that chip smell.
    Any brand of MOTORCYCLE oil is good enough for your bike.
    Unless you ride a gp racer there is no need to fork out squillions for motul.

3. Try Delo400 Gold - its sold at petrol stations for about $45/5L container. There is a thread about its use in motorcycles titled 'the great oil controversy thread' or similar. Check it out.

Personally? I use regular Valvoline 15W40 oil in my bikes and occasionally Gulf Western 20W50 for my aircooled XR600R if I'll be hauling some rear.

Cheers - boingk

4. "lubricant on summer"

mmmmmmmmmmm..... takes my mind straight to the gutter.

5. #5 bulby, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    ^^^ Glad to know I'm not alone on this. LOL

6. ^^^^^^That is what I was thinking too........

7. i do a bit research on overseas website, they did siad that 15w-50 is work on summer cause it help ur engine not too noise.

anyone help me to understand synthetic oil and the advantage of that one please

8. Most people use either semi-synthetic or full synthetic.

Semi-synthetic is mineral oil enhanced with synthetic polymers so it behaves like a higher weight oil at running temperature. This means you can use a lightweight oil like a 10 (which is good for startup) and still have it give the good protection of a 40 once the engine heats up. They are fairly cheap to buy and last reasonably well.

Full synthetic oil is totally engineered from synthetic components by the oil companies. It has superior film strength, engine protection and service life which generally helps offset its high cost. They often have less friction than other oils which may help enhance performance a bit.

15W50 is good in summer but is not usually needed unless your bike gets very hot in traffic or during hard riding. I would suggest a Penrite 15W40 or Valvoline/Shell 20W50 for summer use.

To be honest though, I've had good performance in all my bikes with regular Valvoline 15W40. Its a cheap oil, you can buy it anywhere and it hasn't let me down yet.

Cheers - boingk