Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help with info on Honda Hornet

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by sjh, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,

the brother-in-law was knocked off his bike last night - he is ok, bike is mainly cosmetic.

i need to know if anyone can tell me whether parts are interchangeable from other models.

the bike is a 2001 Honda Hornet - it has extensive damage to the fuel tank - which is looking like the hardest thing to track down.

i was going to enter this thread under the wanted section - but if i can find an interchangeable model - ie. 600? with the same goodies i may be able to track the parts down.

some of the parts im looking for that i should be able to get aftermarket - im assuming - are levers (brake and clutch), gear selector, pegs, rear brake pedal, front indicators (L&R).

if you guys have an idea that would save me some time it would be much appreciated.

2. Not too sure on whether the parts are interchangeable, but as a side note - try google motorcycle wreckers Melbourne. There's a few places that may have what you need at a fairly good price. Much cheaper to do it that way instead of paying full price.
  3. Yes; I don't know if anyone can, but I'm sure someone can. ;) Next question?

This will get you parts at the best prices http://www.findapart.com.au/ eBay will provide a heap of surprisingly cheap aftermarket parts when it comes to levers etc. You should mention what model of Hornet (250, 600, 900?).

4. Thanks - have done findapart, and an ebay search - got most things, but this fuel tank looks like its going to be a tricky one.

Sorry its a Hornet 250, 2001
  5. The 250 and 600 tank is exactly the same
  6. Tank is shared between the 250/600, both are 17 liters I think. The levers are generic Honda, indicators are the same etc. Go on eBay, there's always heaps of parts for cheap
  7. Whoa, are you sure about that? It would be a pretty expensive mistake.

8. Well I'm not sure, but I can tell you that the fuel tap on the 600 with the standard tank is pretty darn close to the top of the engine anyway

but I agree that you'd need to be sure (y)
  9. The wrecker might be able to confirm if the 250 and 600 tanks are interchangeable or, if they are local enough, you can take the bike or just tank in and check.