Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help regarding transfer of car registration interstate

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ramjet, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. Hi there, just wondering if anyone with experience could help me out cause I can't seem to find much info on the net.

    Im in NSW, my car is for sale and still has 9 months worth of NSW Rego remaining.

    I have an interested buyer from VIC who would like to drive the car back to VIC and get it registered there.

    Now the question is.. The interested buyer has stated that I will recieve my numberplates back so that I can go to the RTA and claim the remaining 9 months worth of rego. Is this correct?

    Is the buyer responsible for posting the plates back to me and if this is so how would I go about ensuring this happens? anyone here done this before?

  2. Mate leave your plates on the car (if you don't want them) and submit the notice of disposal form (on the back of your rego papers) into the RTA.
    Simple..... :grin:
  3. Yeah but if i do it that way I dont think I can claim any money back on the 9 months of remaining rego.

    Just seems silly that 9 months of rego is going to waste when the car needs to get re-registered in another state.
  4. Build it into the price - the buyer can claim the refund
  5. I like that idea. Thanks.
  6. sounds like a lot of work for bugger all $$
    they only refund the balance of your registration, (not your CTP) less an admin fee.
    so, what, $200 rego X 0.75 and then less 30ish = $120
    personally, i wouldnt waste my time.
  7. Bloody wealthy roadmakers. Where were you when Burke and Wills needed a hand. Probably drinking their Bourbon stash, under the shade of a Coolibah tree.
  8. After the rego is canceled you get intouch with the CTP provider and cancel that to, they then send a refund as well.