Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NEED HELP on steering alignment (free beer) STH EAST MELB

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by out_of_order, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Hi everyone.

I've been a long time reader of netrider, and most of the time i tend to use the search button to find problem solvers, but I'm really stuck on this one. I can't seems to search for a topic on how to adjust the alignment of the front wheel and the handle bar.

You see i stacked my bike last nite and the steering is all messed up. The wheel is not aligned with the handlebar. I've been to a few bike shops and they say that it can be a diy job, but i'm not very good at mechanical work at all.

I was hoping that one kind soul on this forum who happens to live in the sth east suburb of Melbourne would help me align my steering because i don't think i can do it myself. Bringing it to the shop maybe expensive. I can only give you some beer since my budget will go towards getting new fairings etc.

Any help is appreciated

2. Just put the front wheel next to a post, and force the handle bars in the direction needed to straighten them. (I used a washing line) It might take a couple of attempts to get the forks re-aligned, but usually they go back in place. If that doesn't work, you may need to loosen the lower triple clamps and try again.
    Good luck.

3. PM sent

Scheff

4. Ok so when you say the triple clamp you mean the lower bracket that has some alan key screws right?

5. Just release the lower of the two arms that secure the forks to the steering head, I'm not familar with your bike, so I wouldn't know if they were held on by hex keyed studs. (allen keys screws)

Oh you do need to use a _lot_ of force, if you don't release them. Get a mate to pull on the bars, while you straddle and stablize the bike. I needed help to straight mine.

6. if u r on a quiet street, u can use the gutter to push against.
    Both wheels in the gutter, front wheel up against the side of the gutter. Then you can keep little test rides up and down the street to make sure you've got the alignment where you want it.

7. Thanks all guys.

I ended up loosening the lower clamps and hitting it against a wall with the help of my brother. It seems ok and looks straight. Rides kinda ok. I'll get it checked by a pro once i get all the parts together.

Thanks all.