Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

need help[im ok now], studying mech engineering

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by spongesam, Apr 18, 2006.

1. i'm curious on some phsyics questions... :(

anyone able to offer a hand?

physics -> dynamics -> forces / inclined surfaces

it's basic stuff, but just things i'm not understanding
    anyone ?

2. Yep I've studied all that before, not sure how much of it I remember though :LOL:. What exactly are you having trouble with?

3.  Top
  4. That brings back some nasty memories, stupid trigonometry. Don't worry, once you finish the exam you'll probably never need to use it again (there's usually computer software out there that'll do all the hard work for you :wink:).

5. Only sometimes.

But solid works and autocad are indeed an engineers best friend. Oh, and don't forget matlab.

What year of engineering are you in Sam, that stuff looks kind of basic :?

6. One thing I always found hard at school/first year was to remember that any surface will only exert a force normal to itself (until you have to worry about friction) - that gives you the direction of one of the components, and the other is always parallel to the surface.
    Ah, Physics. I recall some quite bizarre diagrams with incomprehensible vectors pointing in many (too many!) directions. It's a wonder anything ever moves.

7. Try fcuking mechanics of structures, then you'll wonder how everything stays up!

8. Bugger! Too late! I thought I might finally be able to put all those years of study to good use...maybe next time.

Keep up the good work and it'll soon pay off. You'll understand how bikes can actually go around corners without falling over. It a hasn't helped me ride any faster though. :)

Anyway, all this talk of Solid Works and Matlab is starting to creep me out so I'm outta here...