Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help identifying what bike(s) these mirrors bolt onto

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by headwerkn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. This will be an odd first post, so first, intros.

Name's Ben, 31 years old, live in country Tasmania and have been riding motorbikes for well over a decade. Used to have a 2000 Honda XR250R which I never should have sold, as well as a 1994 CBR600RF3. I currently own a 1998 Honda VFR800Fi, and my partner has a 2006 CRF230F. We like our Hondas, basically!

This post kinda concerns the VFR800Fi, but not. It's a long story, but bear with me.

I ended up with this bike kinda by accident, as I inherited it from my brother after he passed away suddenly a couple of years back. The bike was a little rough with a few broken bits (I think he'd put it down at one point) so I've been slowly restoring, though for the past year it has sat in storage due to work, etc.

Both OEM mirrors are shagged and one's main stem is completely broken. In the big pile of motorbike-related stuff we found in his garage I came across a pair of shiny new mirrors, seemingly eBay'd from Hong Kong, to replace them.

Except the damn things don't fit. The hole spaces on the mounting feet are a bit too narrow. The gap is 40mm (see pic) and they appear to take a 6mm or 7mm bolt. I don't have my VFR here with me at the moment, but when I tried to mount them they needed about another 10mm of space between the holes. Obviously he's bought (or been given) the wrong ones.

The question is - what do they fit? I have no need for a pair of bike mirrors that don't fit anything I own, so I might as well pawn them so that I can buy ones that do. At first I thought they might have been for a VT250 Spada, as that was the bike he owned prior, but a quick Google revealed they use a single screw-post style mirror mount. Another quick Google hasn't revealed any details based on any of the number codes on the mirrors themselves, not really surprising given these are undoubtedly cheap Chinese-made pattern parts. I'm trying to chase up the original eBayer, but as I'm sure you can imagine, trying to find one guy from Hong Kong who sold something to another guy on eBay over 2 years ago isn't likely to be easy.

I realise this is a long shot - but anyone got any idea what they're designed to fit? Later model VFR?

Cheers, Ben.

Attached Files:

2. Not sure what they are from, but if you just need another 10mm between the holes I don't think it would be that hard to modify them. It looks borderline that you could widden the holes to the correct thickness in a couple seconds with a drill and use a resin to fill the original holes.
  3. make up a plate ? bolt plate to bike, then mirrors to plate?
  4. Can't help with your mirrors but I will voluntarily expose both my ancientness and my sad nerdiness by confessing to remembering the original magazine ad from which your avatar comes.

Surely 1972 wasn't that long ago?
  5. I have given some consideration to trying to adapt them... basically I'm prepping this bike for sale - I need a 4WD and a dirt bike more than I need a sportsbike at this stage of my life, and riding in Northern Tasmanian backroads in winter is simply asking to fall off - so I don't want the bike to look "hacked". These mirrors don't have replacement "condom" rubber sleeves that go over the stalks; the rubbers look terrible anyway but they would hide any DIYness in the mounts. When I get the Veefer back in the garage I'll take another look but for the sake of $40 for a pair of pattern replacements that bolt right up...

Hehehe kudos. I couldn't find a motorbike-related avatar on my computer so I used that one instead. I have that Marklin Z model, just not the pipe!

1972? Dunno - wasn't born yet! ;-)

Cheers, Ben.