Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need Help, How to choose a bike for new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jackforlead, Apr 8, 2006.

1. I am completely new for rider, which means I dont star my L. I plan to begin my ride sometime in August.

I have not idea how to choose a learner bike. currently, I pointed to Hyosung GT250 and Honda VTR 250..which one is the best for money? anyway, I am not rich man..

I like tour bikes than sports bikes,,I plan to choose bike to BMW F 650

anyone could give me some idea or comments on these? any idea is welcomed. because I am completed blank in this
  2. Hi and Welcome, what state are you from as this has a big bearing on the choices you have?
  3. I suggest that you get something cheap to learn on because you will probably drop the bike at some stage and even if you don't you will want to update to something bigger as soon as you can.

Good luck with your journey.
  4. Welcome jack, yeah, knowing where you live (and perhaps how old you are) would help us give some more accurate advice
  5. I went for a Hyosung gt250 and love it, cost me $6000 on the road, $284 fully comp insurance and $1100 for gear, dont forget to allow for gear in your budget. The reason i got a (new) 250 and not a P.O.S is at the age of 33 and with no prior riding experience i plan on keeping the Hyo for 2 years minimum to gain as much experience as i can before upgrading to a bigger beast, besides im a plumber so i can afford to buy a new 250 :p can't i ?
  6. thank your guys very much.. I currently live in Melbourne, near Highpoint. I plan to keep the learner bike for about 3 years. then upgrade to BMW F650 (this bike is confirmed except the money :LOL: )
  7. one more point, I am 29 and been in Australia for 3 yesrs.
  8. The VTR would be a good choice, get a good 2nd hand one and you should be able to sell it in a year or so for more or less what you paid for it. There's probably nothing wrong with the Hyosung but they do seem to devalue much faster than the Honda.
  9. get a CBR250RR, they're the fastest (the R is for race, and it has two Rs so its race-race, this makes it VERY fast :grin: )
  10. i want a faster bike already wish i new the re-sale of my scooter only done 900kms lol
  11. I'm guessing you bought it new for ~$3590 so (I'm only guessing here) it would probably be worth ~$2800. That would be enough to get you something a little more appealing, of course somewhat older. :)
  12. it was 4100 Feew weeks
  13. :?: :?: In English? :grin:
  14. Hey Seany, the 'other' shauny seems to have taken off, you can probably change your sig back again :LOL:

give sirmatti a break, he's a nice young bloke, he was doing wheelies on his scooter at Homebush Bay the other night :grin:
  15. haha, you have to do some 4 me
  16. So your choice is Hyosung or VTR, and you want to keep it for 3 years? Are we talking new or second-hand here? I would say if you have money to spend now, get a new VTR. Under ideal conditions (meaning you look after it and do not damage it!) it will likely have better resale value than Hyosung. If you'd rather go for a cheaper option, get the Hyosung. It will be cheaper to buy now, but you'll get less for it later on. This is especially true if you can get a second-hand Hyosung, you might be able to find a last year model with little mileage for considerably less than a new one but it will certainly last you 3 years.
  17. What about my toenails? Too long, or do you think they're acceptable? Anything else I should be doing? :p :LOL:
  18. thank you!

I think I prefer a new bike, I do not know too much of bikes in mechanical. so new bike is the easiest way to make sure I am not cheated. Am I in the right way?
  19. Buying new does offer some assurance of quality but keep in mind that you basically lose $2,000 or so the moment it leaves the showroom - even more if you should happen to drop it whilst learning (not inevitiable but very, very likely). If you know nothing about bikes there are places you can have a 2nd hand bike inspected, there may even be experienced Netriders willing to check it out for you. Buying new is a good idea if you plan on keeping it for many years, but for a first bike you're best of saving as much money as you can and putting that towards buying your next bike.