Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help from someone with a VTR 1000 Firestorm (free beer)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Not4Resale, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Posted on here before about my problem.

Looks like it's definitely an electrical issue.

The problem now is finding just where the issue is. The mechanic reckons it's in the odometer circuit but isn't sure so he suggested swapping my instrument panel with someone elses and seeing if it works normally.

the reason for this is to dissect whether the problem is indeed in the instrument panel or whether we need to dig deeper and keep searching through the wiring.

Basically if it's found to be in the instrument panel i'll just be replacing that and if it's not i'll be sending it back in to the mechnanics.

It's pretty simple to get the instrument cluster off, only three bolts holding it on.

If there's anyone with a 98-01 VTR 1000 in Sydney willing to swap over the panel for a quick ride, I'll be completely indebtted and willl be offering a case of beer for the trouble.

I wouldn't normally go out on a limb like this but if the problem isn't in the instrument cluster and i buy a new one, i'll just be throwing money at the wall.

It's a pretty simple procedure and won't take long, I'll be able to dissect the problem within 5 minutes of riding and it's bloody easy to swap the part back over.

Cheers guys,

2. Alright, I seem to be able to get the speedo needle to start reading again and the clock to start ticking the K's over by hitting the killswitch and restarting the bike.

Does me hitting the killswitch and then kicking it back over do any damage to the bike? Besides wearing the clutch of course.

Also is it possible for me to buy a cheaper custom instrument panel to test it on and then change it back if it's found not to work?