Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help for unrestricted bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by TheMav, Jul 25, 2013.

1. With about a year to go until I'm off LAMS, I'm looking into an unrestricted bike.

I am about 5'6-5'7 (169cm) and prefer nakeds with the classic single round headlight. Will use the bike for commuting every other day in addition to occasional weekend rides and possibly track rides once a blue moon. EFI, ABS and pillion seating is preferable but not essential.

No minimum budget as I would prefer to buy an older decent bike than a crappy brand new one but max I can spend is probably $9k. I am handy with tools and can do most of the servicing myself.

So far the Ducati Monsters have really caught my attention but I have heard that although they are good bikes, they are very expensive for what they are. Are they worth it or are there better alternatives?

Also thought about buying a modified streetfighter. All the work is done for you but because they have aftermarket parts or parts from every other bike, does this mean it becomes a headache when you need to replace something and figure out whether it will fit?

2. Get a Street Triple and change the headlights.
  3. #3 TheMav, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    I've done some research and it appears the general consensus is that these Street Triples outperform most, if not all, comparable bikes and with the extra mid range torque they are perfect for the intended usage described above. I can't get over how ugly they are though. Even with the LSL single headlight conversion, everything from the paint schemes to the shape of the tank look like sh!t compared to the Monster series.

But looks can be subjective so... how much more expensive is it to maintain a Ducati? I will do most of the servicing myself so not really concerned about labour costs, but are they reliable bikes? I've seen some Monsters advertised as low as $5-$6k but read that when something goes wrong with them it's usually expensive. What are the common problems, if any?

Any other bike suggestions?
  4. Looks certainly are subjective. I adore the Striple and loathe the Monsters
  5. the Monster, and the Striple were on my list, but I ended up with the Suzuki GSR750 for various reasons...

Perfect for me, had it for about 18 months now and I just love it more and more every day. (doesn't have a round headlight tho)

2013-06-30 12.41.25 (600x359). P3104633[1] - Copy.JPG
  6. Hmmmm I think futuristic sharp lines belong on sports bikes with fairings and nakeds look better with curves.

Guess it's the Monster then, thanks for helping me decide :)
  7. ^ cool, I changed my mind several times in the twelve months prior to D day.. finally decided about three months before I was on full license.
    Keep us posted on what you get..cheers :)
  8. The bandit has a round headlight, as does a r1150r, the xjr1300, cb1300, the griso, plus a few others that I cant think of at the moment.

You have lots of test riding to get on with.