Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help for 2003 VFR 800

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Lids, Oct 1, 2007.

1. G-Day all,
    I only bought my bike July this year, and at this stage I have already had two Reg/Rec pack in on me. This has alsoled me to have to replace the battery twice.

I was wondering can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase a decent reg/rec from. One that won't hopefully pack in after a month or two. I also have heard I should have some heat sink put in as well, help with direction as to where I can also purchase some decent stuff as well would be great.

I understand this may be an annoying subject, but I am new to the road bike scene and this problem is becoming expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Lids

2. I wonder if there is a "Bosch" equivalent you can get from "Repco".

Get some data off yours or of the net, then take yours into a car parts place.

Even if you need to wire your terminals onto the after market item, it may solve your problems.
  3. Give small coil rewinds a ring, if they cant help you out no one can.
    03 5278-8454
  4. Might pay to check out a few things:
    1. The ozvfr site. This is an old issue and there are as many proposed cures as you have had hot dinners. All of them apparently work, if not the best.

2.I had one go on my VFR 800 at 40,00oK and it was replaced by Redwing Honda with an after market one that looked remarkably (exactly) like the OE. Cooling is a major issue with them as is resistance from corrosion of the wiring loom connector. I fitted a computer case fan (wired to the tail light- they only draw 0.2 A), cleaned and used a corrosion inhibitor on the connector pins and it is still going at 160,000K.

3. To do two in such a short time there is probably another fault in the electrical system.