Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help changing oil and oil filter

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hyper24, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Okai, so first thing I do is warm the bike up a bit to warm the oil a bit.

I drain the oil (but wheres the plug?)

Then I take out the oil filter (where is it and how do I get to it) Put some oil around the seal of the new one and put it in.

Put the oil plug back in and fill her up, sound right?

2. maybe ask that PNUT guy, he is doing maintenance classes at the moment and a monthly maintenance stuff..
  3. Yep, pretty much spot on there. Drain plug will be located under the bike on the sump - remember to clean the plug and re-oil the thread before putting it back in. Do it up tight but not too tight - if you strip the thread you're in trouble. Don't know where the filter is on a CBR but on many 250s it's usually internal - hiding under a cover on the front of the engine. You should have the oil capacity somewhere - put in close to that amount (usually 100~200ml less) then let the bike warm up and check the level before topping it up - you don't want to overfill.
  4. I just did mine 5 minutes ago :LOL:

So here goes

1) Take the bike for a short spin around the block to warm it up a bit

2) Drain the oil by undoung the drain plug, The drain plug is the 17mm bolt on the underside of the bike (Be careful because the oil will be hot now).
    **Make sure the bucket is big enough to hold ALL the oil** :oops:

3) Once all the oil is drained undo and remove the filter (The Bolt next to the drain plug) be careful not to lose the small parts (Washers,spring)

4) Oil the seal of the new filter and put it back in the bike with the washers and springs and Put the drain plug back in

5) Put 2.4 litres of oil in the bike (2.2 if you don't change the filter), I used Motul 5100 10W40

6) Check the oil level

7) Start it up and let it run for a few minutes and check the oil levels again
  5. What problems does overfilling result in? and does it matter if it's just a little over?
  6. If you overfill then basically the excess oil will have to get out somehow. Generally this means it leaks past the rings into the combustion chamber and winds up going out the exhaust (engine will run smoky for a while). However the increased oil pressure can also cause excess strain on other components and will reduce the effectiveness of lubrication - so engine damage can occur.
  7. What do you guys do with the old oil ???
  8. Bury it in the garden
  9. Personally I drain it into an oil pan which I then tip into old 3L juice bottles (or old oil containers). These bottles then go in the bin - seems the most "environmentally friendly" option.
  10. Thye seem like two good ideas, Kraven do you bury it in a contaner or just "loose"
  11. Just loose, tip it in a small hole and cover it over.
  12. Darebin "resource Recovery Centre" (newspeak for "Tip") accepts used motor oil for recycling. No charge.

You just tip in in a big drum they have there. Also old car/bike batteries.

Lots of other councils have similar programs.
  13. That's because they re-bottle it and sell it as plain-label engine oil in supermarkets.
    (Sad part is that's not all that far from the truth).
  14. They do re-refine it first.

Can't be worse than starting with that stuff that comes out of the ground. According to Brocky, that's full of dirt that will clog up your engine (and *he* wouldn't mislead the punters, would he?)
  15. OK. What is the reasoning behind warming the engine before draining.

I do not do that. In fact I make sure the engine has been sitting cold for a while. My reason is that this method will drain most if not all the old oil into the sump. This ensures the new oil is not (up to a point) contaminated by the old oil.

The filter is changed before the new oil is added of course.

I have heard some arguement that the oil is thinner when warmed but that is not correct. Some people argue that when the engine is re-started there is some oil over the parts. Again not right as if the engine is started withut the oil being changed the situation is still the same.

I would like to hear opinions on this subject.

As to the disposal of the old oil, if you have timber fence posts like I have, I pour the oil over the top of the posts. Some people I know even paint the palings with it. While mineral oil is not a great preservative, it certainly does piss the white ants and borers off. Also slows the spiders down a bit. I would not pour it into the ground just anywhere as is.

The only place I would do it is in a area where there is a walk way with only stones. There I sweep the stones away, pour the oil over the area and then put the stones back. This slows weeds under the stones.

Edit. PS. If this thread dissappears, it might be because it perhaps should be in the maintenance dept. I can't put it there so maybe a mod might be kind enough.
  16. Best reason I've heard of for "warming" the oil before draining (ie running the engine) is that it increases the solubility of a lot of the crap found in the engine. In a cold engine a lot of this stuff can settle out in places other than the sump - running the engine mixes everything up increasing the chances that this stuff will actually drain out. Usually a good idea after running the engine to let it sit for a couple of minutes though to allow everything to drain back out of the oil channels. Drain an engine cold and you're also only removing the denser oil - lighter hydrocarbon products (caused by the engine oil breaking down) will remain in the engine.
  17. You don't want to go burying too much used oil in the ground, it has some prety nasty stuff in it.
    The reason(s) you warm up an engine before draining oil is to allow it to flow better (cold oil takes forever to drain) and the warm oil after having been circulated through teh engine, has all teh particles of crud suspended in it, rather than settling out, as mentioned earlier. Most, if not all oils now are detergent oils, meaning they are dsigned to carry crud in suspension, so draining it before it settles out is the go. I also like to drain my oil on the bike on teh centrestand, then put it on teh sidestand for a bit, then back onto centrestand. Seems to get a bit more out. Wish I could do it on the car!
    Trust me, I have drained cold oil before, and you don't get as much out as you do when it's hot. The oil turning dark almost immediately as it mixes with what didn't come out.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. instructions:

1. get a service manual

2. read it :p