Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need help buying first bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Supersonic, Feb 25, 2006.

1. I am about to buy my first motorbike and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to buy and what to watch out for. I am aware that I am restricted to a 250cc in Victoria but was still keen to get a sportsbike.
    I am a bit wary about buying one of these imported bike which I have seen described as grey imports, they seem doggy.

2. so no grey imports means you arent interested in a CBR.. that leaves you with the suzuki across, the ZZR, and the GPX(last 2 are kawasaki). obviously that isnt including the 2strokes or smaller capacity bikes.

have you thought about nakeds? the nakes in 250 range are the bandit and the VTR (they are the best looking ones IMO) both have a sports like riding position, without the fairing to worry about if you drop it.
  3. Theres was a few years when cbrs were delivered here wasnt there?
  4. Thanks for the info.
    Not against the CBR just had heard that the imports were a bit doggy to buy cause you didn’t really know what you were getting and was told to steer clear unless you really knew what you were doing. Was mainly to do with the compliance dates and the bikes history. Believe that there is one dealer in Melbourne that is a particular offender in this area.
  5. There is no difference between greys and aus delivered imports, some guy could've brought an aus delivered cbr and thrashed the living hell out of it for 6 years before selling it to you or you could get a grey which has been treated like a baby by it's owner for the same time.

Just get the bike ok'd by someone who knows their stuff and you should have a good first bike (Grey or aus delivered)
  6. firstly whats your budget?? and yeah i would be one who suggests to stay away from imports. I actually work in the automotive industry and anything imported is one day going to cause a head ache when you need a part. But some people will say yeah go for it. Anyway i am a zzr man, great allrounder and bullet proof.
  7. I still think a Aus delivered bike with a FULL history like mine is a better buy than a gray import... three main things are, the fuel that is used in Japan, the sea air whilst in transport and finaly the wether especialy orthen Japan...

I have also had seen footage of trafic in Japan... these bikes are readen full throttle from the lights... than they slam on the brakes only to line split at 10Km/h to the lights...
  8. I usually suggest dirt makes (made road legal with indicators, etc) for a first bike. I know its a pretty different style of bike to learn on... but, lets face the truth here... many learners/inexperienced riders come off at one stage or another.
    Dirt bikes are...
    Cheaper to buy
    Cheaper to fix
    Easier to fix
    Easier to maintain
    Can be dropped with minimal damage

Just a thought~

ps: great day to do nothing! thank god for ps2 chips.
  9. Hmm, fuel in Japan is of a far better quality (and generally higher octane) than the stuff they sell here - bikes would be shipped over in sealed containers not strapped to the deck. Weather does have an impact, though acid rain from pollution is the greater problem - this is why most grey imports are repainted when they reach the country. Haven't seen footage from Japan - but I've seen bikes here do exactly the same thing. Biggest difference is that the Japanese tend to be extremely fanatatical about following the guidelines and service instructions in the owners manual - Aussies often aren't even aware bikes have owners manuals :LOL:. For a fair list of what's been built in the sub-250cc catagory check out: http://www.250ccbikes.com/thelist.html . Depending on budget you could also consider a new Hyosung GT250R (looks like a sportsbike but being a twin doesn't have the power of the 4-cylinder 250s like the CBR/ZXR/FZR/GSXR)
  10. Actualy the fuel in Japan has the most addetives in the world... so Yes they do have a higher octane content but as well they have a heap of things which makes them good for the enviroment but very bad for the carburators, fuel pumps and engines... most of them need to be rejetted for australian fuel.

The bikes b4 they are shipped over are stored in containers quie offten at the doocs... this can be for a number of years.. and nowdays almost all the bikes come to australia quite smashed up... god knows how long and where did they sit... I have seen a number of bike parts very very rusted come out of japan...

The Japonise are as fanatical about maintanance as any other poor uni student can be... It cost them alot of money to keep a bike or car on the road and the costs go up with the age and distance the bike traveled so in most cases they disconect the speedo and only reconect it ocasionaly... as part of their "service" in other words... the bike or car gets very very little servicing... that is one of the reasons why the CBR250 is such a good bike it can live for a very long time on old oil while FZR and ZXR do not...

As mentioned B4 some gray import bikes are in realy good condition, brought here whole, original and they were looked after... but most are used, abused and crashed b4 they come out here...
  11. Do you have a source for this info? Not having a go I'd genuinely be interested in reading it myself. From what I know although Japan does have 100 octane fuel (presumably heavily modified) available it also has 91 octane fuel - can't see how that would differ from the 91 available here. My thoughts on Japanese maintenance routine comes from reading web pages set up by owners of bikes same as mine in Japan - many are downright obsessive (we're talking oil changes every 1000kms on 15 year old bikes). Remember that in Japan a 250cc bike is not seen as a cheap commuter, there's plenty of 50cc bikes available that suit that role better. Instead a 250cc sports is seen as something of a luxury - especially due to licence grading which means many riders never progress past a 125cc or less licence - and all riders are subject to an 80kph speed limit on (or less) anyway. Yeah there's plenty of dud greys coming into the country, but I'm sure there's more than a few Aus delivered bikes that have clocked up 10s of 1000s of kays with the speedo disconnected or wound back, or spent most of their time bouncing off the rev limiter.
  12. My souce is a friend who was working for Shell refinary (in geelong) as and engenieer... he had done a bit of work in Japan as well... now he is working somewere in the North sea??

Japonise people as far as I know can be fanatical and yes I have seen the web pages you describe... In my opinion it is those people who set up those pages...

I have (a year ago) tried to get into the import business I wanted to go into bikes my friends wanted cars... we split... but I have learned alot in the process... I have not been to Japan but I have first hand raports of how and where these imports come from... Wreckers in Japan... it is simple as that.. they pay pinuts for them and sold to the Aus importers for as little as A$400.. Also i have been told that if you export "rabish" out of Japan the goverment gives you all their blessings and more...
  13. True Lordtb, but there are some good grey imports out there if you look carefully enough (mine's one of them :grin:). I'm sure there's more than a few Aus delivered bikes on the market that were once residing in a wreckers yard too so either way you need to be careful when buying.