Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need Help - Bike Wont Start!?!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jason_76, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I have a 1997 Kawa GPX 250 and it was running well untill I broke the throttle cable. I replaced this and then went to start the bike - no good!

It seems the starter motor is running, but the motor just wont kick over. I charged the battery and it is full. I replaced the starter relay - still wont start.

Any hints on what to try next?

Any help much appreciated - Thanks.

2. I'd say you've knocked off some wiring around the coils. Have a good look up under the tank, should be two small wires and one large wire coming out of each coil, or if only one coil, two large and two small wires.
    You must have knocked something loose or damaged some old wiring when re routing teh cable.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Just a tip. Not sure if it will work on ur bike. Take out the spark plugs leads connected and start is up, see if the spark plugs are sparking. If not then do as typhoon has said.
    If it does spark, then its obviously not an electrical problem. Could be a fuel problem. Flooded engine?? When installing the throttle cable, does it allow the carbs to full close?

See how u go
  4. Push start it?
  5. Before pulling it all apart again, Try to F.I.N.K about it .
    Fuel , is it on , do I have any
    Ignition , is it on (obviously in this case)
    Neutral , most likely is in neutral
    KILL , is kill switch in RUN position its easily knocked an d forgotten about.

Its highgly likely something to do with the kill switch circuit as it lives on the throttle block and you've been in there replacing the cable.
  6. Thanks for the replies....I will try them and let you know how it goes.
  7. Thanks, it was a fuel problem. Not sure what the problem was exactly, but I removed the throttle cable and it started after a while with the carb fully closed.

Engines :roll:
  8. Glad to hear it sorted. U will be surpised what problem are cause by. Normally all these small little faults.