Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

need advice on Pillion?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by quantocks, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

need to get to work quick tomorrow, on an NSR150, never taken a pillion before.

Girlfriend is about 80kg, I'm about 95kg, was wondering if it was possible to chuck her on as a Pillion, as it stands, I've just come from a scoot to an NSR150, I am still having problems finding Friction Point so have been 'walking' or pushing myself forward on the bike and just releasing the clutch and accelerating myself and taking off fine. but how would it go doing that with a Pillion on the back if I get stuck?

I'm not sure what to do, I still keep stalling often at trying to find friction point, maybe i'm doing it wrong. Would having a pillion make it anymore difficult to 'walk' the bike forward a small amount to get going that way or not?
  2. If you're still having issues with friction point I would under no circumstances try riding with a pillion. You may get away with it but mmm... it's not worth the risk.
  3. would it be easy to ride a short distance if at any stop I push myself forward?
  4. I hope I don't come across too blunt here, but...

(1) If you can't even get yourself moving without stalling the bike, you really shouldn't try to carry a passenger.
    (2) I really don't know that an NSR150's brakes, clutch and engine are up to the task. My VTR250 certainly didn't enjoy carrying an 85kg rider and 90kg pillion. It could do it, but it took a LOT of effort and skill.
    (3) Yes, it will be harder to move the bike around Flintstones style with another 90 kilograms of weight. Basic physics. The NSR itself probably only weighs 120kg if that. Imagine pushing two bikes at once?

Seriously, get completely proficient with riding the NSR solo before you try to carry a squirming, fidgetting, disruptive extra 90kg on the back of a tiny lightweight sportsbike.
  5. +1 to what others have said. Yes the NSR can do it (won't love you for it though), but given your lack of experience its a stupid idea. You'd likely be fine 8/10 but if an emergency situation came up the chances of you fking up are high.
  6. go for, dropping the bike at near stand still speed, never really looks like it hurts, but it's farking funny to watch :LOL:

i am with others if you can't ride by yourself don't pillion. Your pillion has there life in your hands, and is trusting and counting on your ability on the bike to keep them safe
  7. Slow speed handling, eg. uturns is also craploads harder with a pillion.. and don't forget you say you need to get there quick tomorrow.. so theres that pressure.
  8. Purely at face value...

If you've come from a scoot and your upgrade is an NSR150 then it sounds like you haven't been riding long enough to legally carry a pillion, regardless of ability (or lack of).

Even if you can legally take a pillion; i seriously recomment not doing it. I've taken a pillion twice since I got my fulls and it was in familiar surrounds with little traffic so that I could ease into it. Needing to get to work quickly and first time pillioning won't play nice together.
  9. It's alot harder to ride with a pillion. I have been riding just over a year a tried pillioning a friend in a quite street. It's alot different. My bike doesnt like it much not to mention the bike feels alot different.

I'm kinda with other people saying that if you're having trouble controlling the bike by yourself then I dont think you should put your gf at risk.

I didnt like taking the pillion neither does my bike..
  10. Sorry, but this sounds like a recipe for complete and utter disaster. Hopefully all the similar replies in this thread have convinced you not to go risking two lives instead of just one!

Step back, take a deep breath, and admit you're nowhere near ready for a pillon passenger. Then go practice, practice, practice and make sure your 'first time' is when you've both got plenty of time, and you're not trying to rush to work. As far as your specific problems with the clutch, search is your friend on Netrider.

Good luck!
  11. Your bike will do it just fine. Take it easy and you'll be right. Best you figure that clutch thing out sooner rather than later. You *are* revving the engine to about 3000rpm while you let the clutch out, aren't you?
  12. Ive often pillioned a 75 kg dude on my NSR150, it still goes alright, when I first started doin it, it was a bit wobbly at the back, so that might be off putting for you... and I always make sure I launch it from 4k, any lower and Id probably stall it, and I reckon it would be a nightmare tryin to operate the kicker with a passenger on the back, unless of course you are super strong enough to hold up the bike...
  13. How much slow speed riding is involved?

Once the bike is moving, riding with a pillion isn't so hard if they know what to do... would you be able to tell them???

At slow speeds, it is mucho hardo... turning left, right, at roundabouts, etc is quite hard... don't underestimate how much harder it is to balance...

don't know why it seems so much easier on a scooter than on a bike, but from my experience, it seems to be...

as for duckwalking... I would be riding around a carpark until I had that down before I ventured out onto the road at all... Foot on brake, revs up, release clutch slowly until you feel the friction point, release foot brake and roll off, release the rest of the clutch slowly, accelerate...

14. Personally, if I wasn't confident in riding solo, I wouldn't let someone else pillion on my bike.

If you're still going ahead with it though, read and ask your girlfriend to take a read of this if you both haven't already: https://netrider.net.au/articles/?page=passenger

Edit: Just realised that you probably would have ridden to work by now. Hope it all went well!
  15. Not meaning to offend, but it seems you can barely ride yourself .. adding a pillion to the mix could prove disasterous
  16. nah, I didn't end up riding to work pillion. Instead I spent the early morning riding up and down my street looking like an idiot trying to get friction point properly. It seems the bike just starts to move, then I accelerate more and release the clutch as soon as the clutch is fully out the bike jumps forward a tiny bit and stalls.

I guess I'll have to keep going and going and going until I get it right. I got it right once, but then tried 5 times after that and failed.

duck walking solo to work is okay, there's only two real stops and it's downhill so it goes fine for now. but i'm still fairly embarrassed.

I have everything else nailed, down-pat. the gear changes (after the bike is moving), the braking, the u-turns, the corners, the lean, everything. I just can't seem to get the most important thing right
  17. okay, after an hour riding around in the dark I absolutely bloody nailed it.

what I was doing wrong was holding all of my left hand fingers on the clutch and as soon as the bike started to move a bit forward at 3,000rpm I completely let it go thinking it would keep moving forward.

So what I've done is squeeze the clutch all the way in with all fingers, then slip a few of them underneath and with two fingers on the clutch slowly accelerate and release until I'm moving, then completely release.

this is SWEET.

still lots of practise to go. but I carried my girlfriend from the station home, no worries at all. A lot of extra weight on the rear end but going slowly and not going past second gear did the trick on all the back roads.

thanks for all the advice guys, I'm still not going to take pillion riders again for a long time. I only did a quick 2 minute trip tonight. still lots to learn here.
  18. #18 malenko, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    how much experience do you have with a clutch? is this your first vehicle with a clutch?

I am surprised you haven't dropped it while releasing the clutch like that, you always smoothly release the clutch even after you have found the friction point. Just dropping the clutch like you have been doing can be fairly dangerous if the power catches you off guard even if your experienced.

eg [media=youtube]9o15EALghp0[/media]
    watch it all the way
  19. first time I've EVER used a clutch. I'm hammering this now, I can now find friction point 99% of the time and can take off without waddling like a penguin down the street.
  20. I am just going to re-iterate what others have said. Get your ride right before you take on pillions.

Good on you for trying until you got it right though :wink: