Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need advice on Fzrr as first bike....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by knoxville_83, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Hey all... I just joined this forum as I am interested in purchasing a 250cc road bike. I have found a 1996 fzr rr grey import with 42000 ks for $2920 on the road.... just wondering what peopls thoughts are on this as a first bike, its reliability, better alternatives and just general info.

Cheers Sam

2. The year you're referring to will be the compliance date (year bought into Australia) NOT the build date (most likely 1990-93).

If it is a proper rr model (with 'deltabox' frame and exup valve), then I'd be suspicious about the low price (usually go for $4-6000). Check that the tyres, chain, sprockets, brake pads, etc are in good order. Because some of these import 250's can pass through so many different hands, they're service needs are often neglected.

I used to ride one of these quite a bit (brother's), and we basically came to the conclusion that if you can afford a cbr (either 'r' or 'rr' model, all much the same), then buy one of these instead.

The bikes are very fussy when it comes to fuelling, and easily foul plugs or flood sometimes if simply given too much throttle when starting.

Great bikes once going though, handle well, good power, but not very comfortable. Bottom line, I personally wouldn't hand over my cash before getting a mechanical check done (friend or independant service) on one of these. There are just too many variables with these bikes.

3. Although an import, some items (consumable parts) for these bikes are listed and carried by Yamaha Australia as there are so many around.