Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need Advice: Buying a Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by R spec, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,

Im new here :) .. im still on my L's and I wanted to get a sports bike that is reliable and has grunts/power (under 6K prefered). I was thinking of getting a 250cc 4 strokes

could anyone give me some advice and some review on your recommendation. Thanks

just a thought is zzr 250, gpx250r a good first bike? or there is something better

Also which insurance is good for a beginer :)

I know that there are a few related post out there but i kinda need a confirmation :) Thanks for your advice.. cheers

2. G'day and welcome R Spec!

I've been on my Ls for 6 months and about to come off my Ps.

For the 1st 6months i was on a cb250. Great reliable bike. Helped me learn the basics comfortably so was really good. I got bored with it and for the past year have been on my cbr250.

Found the cbr much more revvier, more fun to ride, better handling and suspension. Unfortunately these bikes are old and i had to spend alot for some enginework.....now it runs perfectly! Though after 1year i am looking forwards to something with little more power and better handling and suspension....can't wait!

For a beginner i think the cbr is great fun. Looks sporty and puts you in that sporty riding position. One thing about 250s is that their light which at the beginning is easier to handle but i'm sick of getting blown around by the wind especially on highways. Another thing is that i'm pretty sick of the poor stiff suspension, poor tyres which don't inspire confidence.

If i could do it again i think i woulda got a second hand not so old gpx, zzr, vtr with low kms and a good price. That way resale would be good.

Be assured though that these 250s in my opinion are more like learning toys. After awhile you'll look for something with better suspension/handling/tyres and little more power! Gluck buddy!

3. yeah the lightness of a 250 is a biatch... i've got a zzr250, handles like a dream, a little underpowered... cbr's are great bikes, but from what i've learnt... don't get a fully faired first bike :p it's annoying!!!!!

4. hey R spec,

thought i'd share some of my "infinite wisdom" on the subject. been riding for a month now and recently purchased a nice 2nd hand suzuki bandit. i did plenty of research before i got my bike, but at the end of it came down to cost, comfort, and go.

zzr250 and gpx250 are both good bikes from what i've read. available parts, n spares, and you can usually get a good 2nd hand one with low kms if you wait/look hard enough. as far as grunt goes, i think you might have to look elsewhere. these bikes are kinda in the middle range of 250 grunt category. if you want a bigger grin... can't go past the bandit 250 :grin: but i also hear that cbr250rr, zx2r, balius, vtr250 are pretty good in this department.

insurance... definately shop around. when i was looking at a 2000 model gpx250 was quoted $900 through GIO. My '98 bandit 250 was $475 comprehensive through RACV (although i have roadside assistance and got a discount for being a member).

i think you'll find that most people say the best way to find the right 250 is go around and sit on as many different ones as you can. take em for a test ride and make an informed decision.

remeber: you'll end up wanting a bigger bike after a month or so anyway.

5. I've ridden loads of 250s. I think the GPX is an excellent choice, they're cheap second hand, reliable, grunty if not revvy, they wheelie nicely and they're a lot of fun.

ZZRs aren't bad either but of the two I'd take the less expensive/flashy GPX.

If you have more cash to spend, I think the VTR250 is about the ideal learner bike in my books - but the GPX is heaps cheaper and still a brilliant bike.

6. In my opinion Loz is right - the VTR250 is a great learners bike for a number of reasons.

It has low end grunt, no fairing (so if you do drop it then it costs less!!!) and they are just a nice sweet small bike to ride.

I have ridden one for the last two years, and am just upgrading to a bigger bike now.

If you have the $$ you really can't go wrong with the VTR..........

7. In my opinion Loz is right - the VTR250 is a great learners bike for a number of reasons.

It has low end grunt, no fairing (so if you do drop it then it costs less!!!) and they are just a nice sweet small bike to ride.

I have ridden one for the last two years, and am just upgrading to a bigger bike now.

If you have the $$ you really can't go wrong with the VTR..........

8. Thx all for your advice... i can narrow it down to either
    gpx, vtr or bandit :wink: sweet
    i just have to try the bikes - which is more comfortable for me and work out the budget insurance etc :p

9. ...or a Spada. ;) Older, but reliable as, forgiving, fun... and if you're upgrading later anyway, why spend 6 grand? Up to you, of course.

10. Good luck with the hunt R spec. Where abouts are you located?

11. sydney.. inner west mate...

although i want to spend -6k inc insurance,rego,etc
    pretty much everything :p

12. To me there's not much to pick, power-wise, between the 4-stroke 250s: you can only get so much power out of 250cc- the twins will have more bottom end and the inline fours will make a bit more power but they have to be revved harder.

You should perhaps consider taking advantage of LAMS changes and getting a semi-sport bike of larger capacity, as the engine will be much more flexible and reesale will be better. But insurance might be prohibitive.

Persoanlly I regard comprehensive insurance as a bit of a waste of time. If you claim, they won't re-insure you, and it's so expensive that after a few years the premiums would have bought you a new bike anyway. But Third Party is very handy...

13. SPADA. it's a VTR250 with an extra gear!!

but all the bikes listed are good... i think it depends on personal taste and what you want to spend....not including the extra $1000+ for your safety gear.

14. is this really true????

15. Have a look at the Hyosungs as well, you might be able to pick up a second hand LAMs GT650 would be a great bike for the same reasons as the VTR250.

A GT250 will set you back $6k new so worth looking at as well.

Have fun

16. i got an old vt250 for my first bike $1200 with pink slip, new tyres and a bit over a months rego. theres not much plastic and the rear blinkers are held up by cable ties but everything works and i dont feel so bad when i drop it. ill spend my money on the upgrade. good luck with the bike hunting

17. i guess i have to shop around for insurance and compare it..whether its worth getting full comrehensive or not :) thx for your input

18. CBR 250 - BUT YES I NEED MORE POWER TOO!!!

19. thx for the info :) gt250 is good looking bike

20. Im extremely happy with my CBR250RR. Very quick =D