Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need a wheelie mentor

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by wideone3, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Okay so before everyone becomes all judgemental. I have been practicing on a close road where no cars come through and am not one of these guys who pulls a wheelie along a residential street like some I've seen.
    However I do want to learn to wheelie properly. I was practicing today and had a range of outcomes. I'm getting more confident and can get the front up 99% of the times. Some times I can hold them for 2/3 seconds.
    But I want someone with a bit more experience and knowledge to perhaps point me in the right direction. I'm using the clutch up method and basically my step by step process is.
    Pull clutch in at about 4k revs, Rev bike to about 7/8k rpm let clutch up and bike comes up. This is all done relatively quickly.

But if anyone has any written suggestions that would be sweet. Anyone offering to lend me their time and help me in person I would be more than happy to reward for your time.

P.s. bike is a street triple 660

2. Youtube is your only friend here.............. and get a stunt bike as that 660 will be a costly repair when it all goes tits up!

(and forget the judgemental brigade - EVERYONE wishes they could mono through the box)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. There are some decent tutorials on YouTube.

4. I wish mine wouldn't bloody lift on me! Startles the shit out of me literally. ?TMI
    Might have cured it when I finally get my shorty levers sorted and Zeddee back next week...

5. Use front brakes first to compress the forks, release brake and wind on throttle. Depending on the bike this can negate the need to clutch.

Can also move back in the seat to get your weight off the front.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah I've had a look at youtube and that's basically where I started. Don't really have the money for a stunt bike atm which probably suggests I don't have the money to repair the triumph haha :/. Still on P's so my options would be limited anyways.

7. I haven't seen it around for a while but there is a guy with a 'wheelie machine' who used to be at events.

Found it, here wheeliezone simulator, not bad for $120 a pop

Simultators - Wheelie Zone

• Like Like x 1
  8. No traction control? I have the opposite, front gets light and engine dies, then I turn the traction control off, I must get into the habit of doing that from the outset!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'd like to learn to wheelie correctly, but then my old man brain kick starts and I get all paranoid. I do like to live vicariously through others though :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeah even after just practicing today I'm feeling confident but it does feel somewhat risky every time you lift the wheel but in reality most of mine are getting 3-5 inches off the ground. But yeah I would like to learn properly. Might consider the wheel school posted above when I have a bit more money to dispose of

11. IMG_3416-1.PNG ATGATT lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. When I had my Street Triple 675, the bike would tell me when I was running low on petrol by waving its front wheel in the air.

If you really must practice wheelies, try to not have a full tank of fuel.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Oh, aye, and when I had my Honda Z50, it was quite difficult to NOT wheelie it.

Its more than just raw power, its also balance of the bike.

14. The 660 has a bit more torque than the 675 low down but you'll struggle to get much height on the front wheel without dumping the clutch at decent revs as the gears have been made so long on the recent Street Triples.

I don't actively try to get my front wheel up but only really notice it getting light when throttling on hard coming off a corner. When going straight I don't notice it and haven't really bothered to try too hard to do it.

15. Ditto. I can often tell that I'm losing concentration by the fact that the accidental wheelies start creeping in at the lights and out of tight bends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Seeking out a mentor is probably a good thing if you can find the right person. Working in small careful increments is also a good thing and it sounds like you're doing that. I'm no expert on wheelies. I've done a few but the most impressive one was not deliberate. The first one I did was accidental and I went around a round about and off at the second exit all on the back wheel. Two strokes will do that to you if you're not expecting the power band. I couldn't have done that deliberately if I tried. So I'm not going to offer any how to tips on a road bike. I would say that trail bikes are a good place to start, perhaps not two stroke ones though ;). Someone else's traily is even better. :)

Single cylinder trail bikes have lots of torque, a short wheel base and light weight so that torque lofts the front easier and the lightness of the bike means less weight shift required for balance, foot pegs and bar position are designed for standing control which makes weight shifting both front to back and side to side easier. They have no expensive body work, the front suspension is designed to take big hits so a few ham fisted thumps as you're learning to drop down in control won't damage much. All of which means you can get a feel for the balance and mechanics of it without having to go so fast or have quite such fine throttle control. Best of all they'll do it cheerfully off road on nice soft grassy paddocks......As the nice man from Mitsubishi used to say "Please consider".

Road bikes are heavier, have a longer wheel base, are more difficult to balance, are more sensitive to throttle input, are geared higher and will accelerate in the blink of an eye to much more damaging speeds and are much more expensive to repair particularly as you tend to be going faster when you bin them. Trail bikes are expected to get on the back wheel to clear obstacles, sport bikes go faster if you can keep the front on the road, street bikes are closer to sport bikes than trail bikes by a large margin, so they're not really designed with wheelies in mind and some will have electronic and mechanical limitations that actively work against them getting right up and staying there. There are some amazing videos of people doing wheelies and stunting on the net. Just remember that some of those guys have modified the bikes from standard to do this. Mods might include disabling tip over sensors, changing oil pickup location in the sump to avoid oil starvation and engine damage, altered gearing and so on.

I'm not saying don't do it, just go into it with your eyes open and be prepared to foot the repair bills yourself as the insurance company will laugh at you if they work out what you were doing when you binned it. You may also find that you void your warranty by stunting. That and of course wear the best armoured gear you can afford while you're practicing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. This.......

18. Take that screw out :p

19. Well, if you're going to do it you may as well learn properly. I hope you manage to find yourself a good mentor and don't be doing it too much anywhere you can't easily get help just in case something does go belly up.

20. Thanks for all the input everybody. Yeah there would be no doubt that if I was on my full licence, I would buy a second hand r6 or something for 4k and use that as a stunt bike. But be in on P's really restricts that. I mean I could do that and ride it very locally as all my local roads are very quite and there is a big clos/no through road, with no houses or cars on it and is where I have been practicing. So it's literally 100m round the corner. Then again is it worth buying a 4k bike that I can't insure. I'll just take it all very slowly and will probably book myself on a wheelie course/practice somewhen soon.