Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

need a new rear sprocket - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by edgelett, Aug 7, 2006.

1. I've decided to jack up my rear sprocket on the Hornet by 3 teeth before i take it in to get tuned.
    I know I can just go to the local bike shop & get one stuck on, but I've heard you can get colour coded ones?

What brands of sprockets do you recommend, do they make colour ones, and if so can you view/order them online?
  2. Coloured? Do you mean anodised? Don't do it!! Soooo 90's.....

Most online sites won't show pictures of the sprockets (perhaps they might show the range of colours). Any decent motorcycle online site will have sprockets to suit.

More importantly is whether you want a steel or aluminium sprocket, and whether you want to change the pitch.

Try www.austreetfighter.com.au
  3. well I haven't decided on getting a coloured one yet...

went to austreetfighter, can't find where sprockets are listed in their gear.

what's the difference between steel & aluminum other than weight?
  4. Less weight is a good thing, the only other difference is aluminium will be pricier (and can sometimes look more trick!).

I didn't check austreetfighter before posting the link, but even if it's not on their site, they may still stock them.
  5. Also, it's likely that the aluminium ones will wear faster than the steel.
    But to be honest your chain is more likely to clap out before your sprockets do.
  6. I've got 20,000 km's out of the current one, and that's on a bike with no cush drive. It's false economy to skimp on drivetrain components IMO.

You're right, the chain will need replacing well before the sprocket would have (I'll still buy the set though).
  7. you want a decent sprocket then buy australian mate (this coming from a pommie and all) try http://www.chaingang.com.au/ any sprocket, any teeth size, any bolt pattern, any colour in steel and bloody good they are too