Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need a little advice.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by motorshock, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Hey all, havn't posted in a few weeks been having too much fun on my bike. Anyways I have been doing a lot of peak hour riding and I am after some advice. When I am on the highway and I am approaching traffic that is merging I tend to slow down and let them merge in front of me as I do not trust the other cars enough to see me, just wandering if that is the right thing to do. Also when making turns at round abouts and other roads, I brake right before I turn as I am worried about going in to the turn to fast. Another thing I am wandering about is since the mornings are getting cold and I am on an old Suzuki Accross, is how long to let my bike warm up for, It seems to be stalling in the exact same spot every morning.

2. Hope that helps...

3. merging is a biatch in Melbourne because we don't technically have the zip system they flog in other countries... still most people defer to that , one left, one right and so on... just beware of assholes:jerk: who try to cut you out... some boots, like my tcx have an upgrade kit for metal toe sliders...they are excellent for creating paint/panel damage on front quater panels and doors... if you are close and quick about it you can get a quick sharp boot in there below the drivers line of sight and then insist that the damage was caused when they hit your foot peg...

Ok, sorry, forget what you just read, do not try this at home kids ok.
    i think your caution and defensive technique is smart(y)...however, you cannot appear too tentative on the mean streets.. up to a point you have to claim your space confidently... also remember to check your mirrors whenever you slow your speed...and indicate that you wish to merge as early as you want to, no laws about how long you can indicate for.

the rounabout querie:tantrum: > technically you should have selected the correct gear and done all your braking before you enter the turn/turn your front wheel.. so you are doing it right.
    reading between the lines though i'd hazard a guess that you are still learning your machine and what it can do...there will come a day when you execute roundabouts with perfection on that machine with a controlled measure of clutch, throttle and rear brake combined.
    i don't really treat rounabouts as sweeping curves...i just do it kinda like a right turn...like ride straight into them looking ahead, because then the ******** who wants to pull out in front of you is in in your vision...then when said ******** did'nt pull out i point my head right, to my exit and just hook it over (and drop the clutch haha...NO, don't do that either)...so, do you get that?..i'm not following the exit of the curve with my eyes as i traverse the dammed roundabout...i look straight till i'm parralel with my exit, then i look right (and the bike goes there)....you see, i've tried to remain more upright and straight as i approach the vehicle waiting to enter, so like, if i had to stop quickly, better to stop like that, than stopping when leaning into the bend...but anyway, just thought i'd throw that strategy in there as "roundabouts the easy way"...not the best way in the wet though, as roundabouts are natures sink tank for grease and oil and gravel and thumbscrews

4. A roundabout is an intersection. It should be approached as if you will have to give way or stop at any time before you are actually on the intersection.
    Once on the roundabout, don't assume you have right of way, even though you do. Most road users don't give a shit about other cars, so a motorcycle doesn't even register to them!
    Always be travelling at a speed that allows you to either stop, or duck behind a car pulling out in front of you and remember, braking when the bike is leaned over never works, swerve, point the bike somewhere you can stop straight, then slow down if you need to.
    When you are approaching or are on the roundabout, you should keep an eye on anything to your right until you are past any impact risk, no matter what the rules say. And assume any car that is ahead of you and waiting at the roundabout will enter in front of you, so look ahead to the next entry point as soon as you clear the previous one.
    If your bike is stalling a bit, I would spend the money on a carb sync and tune. It's worth every cent.

Regards, Andrew.

5. i 100% agree with typhoon there.

even when i drive a car, when i go into a round about i make sure the car on my right is at a safe distance for me to enter, and once entering i make sure the guy on the left had seen me and has stopped. if there is the slightest chance he is still moving i will slow the car down just in case he keeps going. (i cant tell you how many times this has saved me from an accident) since i am in the round about there is no reason for the guy on the left to come in unless they are a douche and not paying attention.

On a bike, so far i am doing the same thing however i have only had a car on the left come in without giving way (but i was prepared for it).

But i'm still learning, so haven't learnt all the tricks of the round about yet (well i know if for a car, but not for a bike) :p

6. It amazes me when people don't default to this just logically. In Sydney we have a reasonable problem with people merging early and a slightly lesser problem of people not letting people in.

I was driving in Brisbane last week and I was reminded how badly they merge up there. Nobody wants to let anybody in. It causes mayhem, but they persist in not letting people merge up there.

7. This is very true. I grew up in Brisbane but now live in Sydney. When I first came to Sydney I was expecting drivers to be very aggressive as many people from Brisbane had said they were.

In fact in my years here so far I have found drivers much more sedate then in Brisbane. Brisbane drivers are agressive and many don't like letting people merge. Whereas I think in Sydney people are used to the traffic being congested and just accept it as a 1-for-1 thing to keep everything flowing.

I guess Brisbane is also not as use to congestion on the level that Sydney had/has. When I was growing up there were limited problems with this. As it gets worse and those aggressive tendencies don't disapate it is going to make some some interesting gridlock and road rage.

<rant>

Having said all that, don't get me started on the quality of the roads in Sydney (especially as a rider). They are abysmal! Especially as I beleive (correct me if I am wrong) that some of the extra tax on petrol down here is supposed to go to roads. (e.g. WTF is with Paramatta Rd once you get out towards Auburn? It's like riding on cobblestones, but worse!)

</rant>

:)

8. I lived in Sydney and found that they are very good at letting people in, Melbourne the exact opposite. When driving in Melbourne as soon as they see the indicator they speed up so you can't get in, even if you are running out of lane. Once the would not let me in, so I got my steering wheel and turned it left to right really quickly, and they must of thought this lunatic, I better let her in before she smashes into me. Also if you have a smashed up car, they let you in, because they know that your car is so smashed up that one more dent doesn't matter to you.

Found it to be different though riding on a bike, they seem to let me in all the time.