Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nearly rear ended while turning

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Crash Dummy, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hey guys. My first real rant.

Today while making to make a right hand turn on Belmore Road of Lorn *Maitland, NSW area* this is a semi rural urban type place, 50km/h speed limit. As I wait for a break in the traffic to make my right hand turn my spidey senses were telling me to keep an eye on the mirrors and occasionally glance for a gap. After waiting for about 20 seconds I see a 4x4 approaching, I think oh yeah he'll start to move over to go round me like everyone else or slow down. Nope. He's approaching just as fast as ever, Now he's occupying my mirrors and looks like he's coming right at me with no sign of slowing or swerving. Time to put my drag racing skills as I abort my right hand turn and launch the Suzuki SV650S like a top fueller out of the hole in a straight line, only once I got moving did I see any evidence of him making any effort to avoid. TOO LATE MATE!

The aftermath of consisted of me briefly turning my body and giving him a death stare but what else can you do ? I continued on my way home and took the next available right at a roundabout that would take me home the longer way.

I feel like i've used up all my luck for this week. Not happy. Actually quite upset that I very nearly become one of the statistics. :(

](*,)

2. You just articulated my nightmare

I'm constantly in the mirrors when turning left or right. Half the drivers don't notice cars and trucks turning in front of them so what chance has a bike got.

3. Whenever I'm waiting to turn right like that, I start flashing my brake light as soon as I see someone in the mirrors. Can't guarantee it will help, but it's free, and it keeps me monitoring my mirrors.

Well done on not going squish

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scary stuff mate well done on avioding that.

5. 4WD'er at maitland coming in from the farms, enough said...

6. Good stuff glad your okay,thats all you can do
    the mirrors are very important,where sitting ducks somrtimes.

7. Good work keeping an eye on your mirrors. Dog forbid it should happen again, but if it does, try 'tapping' your brakes so the light goes on and off, it might just be enough for the dipshit in the car to notice you before you have to take evasive action.

8. Why not take the round about every day. Avoid that turn and you eliminate that chance of being used as a speed hump.

9. Just another great example of why one should never leave the bike out of gear while stationary, never know when you might need to up and go!

Well done staying aware and getting away from a deadly scenario unfolding.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Be aware though that round abouts have their own peculiar dangers for the motorcyclist, particularly:
    • the car behind you rear-ending you because they're too busy looking right to see if they can turn now
    • being t-boned by a car entering the round about when they should be giving way to you

The good news on round abouts is that usually, hopefully, the traffic is going slower.

11. You forgot the car that decides to turn right from the left lane while you're in the right lane going straight ahead.

12. I was merely pointing out that the roundabout may be a little less hazardous. Definitely less hazardous than sitting still in the middle of the road waiting to be mixed down by a 4X4 that didn't see me. Didn't expect so much opposition to the idea. I have two or three big roundabouts near me (around 50mtrs in diameter) that are great for getting the knee down on when conditions permit, but anyhow...

That being the case disregard my last post.
    As round abouts are even more dangerous than that right hand turn from the middle of the road, it appears that you have no safe options left. Basically you will die if you ride that SV on the road apparently, so please stay home and wrap yourself in a big feather doona.
    You should be much safer there and you can live a long, unforfilled existence.

13. I think there is no 100% all-the-time rule for staying in or out of gear.

You can have a situation where you are at the head of a traffic queue at the lights with traffic stopped behind. You get a small bump from behind. Out of gear the worst that will happen in you fall over sideways. In gear your hand can come off the clutch and you can punt into the junction and into the path of crossing traffic.

There are other examples where staying in gear is preferable, obv.

14. I agree that the round about option is safer than being stranded in the middle of the road waiting for a break. I'm not opposing the idea, just informing the OP of what to watch out for in a round about scenario.

15. Fair enough.
    I am sure that anyone who rides on the road realizes the dangers of intersections, roundabouts, traffic lights, Volvo drivers with hats, etc, without having them pointed out though.
    And considering the vast quantities of traffic that pass through roundabouts every day and the reasonably small numbers of serious incidents that seem to happen at them, your warning was probably nothingnew to the OP, unless we are to assume that the OP is an Amish donkey rider who had never seen a road with a roundabout before.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I need to turn right into my driveway on a daily basis from a busy road an sit waiting for a gap. Worst thing for me is having cagers run really close to me at 60+ k's at what feels like a tics dick distance away and mind you they pull the overtake at the very last second every bloody time. Ive had a few people though stop from oncoming to let me through when they see what is happening.

17. I agree there's no 100% rule. I often pop it into neutral at the lights once a few cars have stopped behind and click it back in just before the green at intersections I'm familiar with. I don't know how accurate your example is though, you'd have to twist the throttle open as you lost your grip on the clutch to put yourself in the intersection, otherwise you'd just stall in the same distance you would have rolled in neutral with a nudge from behind, only difference being you'll stop in gear when the motor stalls vs rolling for as long as momentum wants to take you in neutral.

There's up's and down's to everything, waiting to turn right into a side street with fast approaching traffic definitely isn't a time you want to be out of gear not paying attention though, no matter how long you might have to wait before a gap could prevent itself, as demonstrated here.

18. Just thought I'd chime in here. The reason I don't take the roundabout route is it's significantly longer. The road I was trying to turn off is a 50km/h zone so nobody should be going all that fast. If it were a 70k zone I'd certainly think differently.

We have the same problem with the stationary right turn situation where I live too. To get into my street one the way you would normally travel for most commuting duties leaves you stopped in the middle of a 2 lane road right on a corner. Oncomming cars cut the corner and cars coming up behind you don't even bother to slow down before giving you room. It is scary as hell and dangerous. I get nervous trying to turn into my street in my car let alone on a bike.

19. Have you considered stopping further into the middle of your lane? To force traffic to change lanes completely around you rather than splitting past? Also gives a bit of buffer for traffic cutting the corner the other way. Don't know how effective it may be in the real world, just thinking out loud.

20. What's the rush to get home anyway? Lol!
    I never have an issue taking the long way home when I'm on the bike but that's just me. In the end only you can weigh up the pros and cons for every decision on the road.
    Is it better to be 5 minutes late than dead on time? I think so, which is why I would consider not turning right off a road that I have had a close shave at, because it was busy enough that I can't turn straight away, but which had no demarcated turning lane. Eliminate the hazard all together. It might be only a 50 zone but being hit at 50 is going to fekking hurt.
    Will moving into the centre of the lane mean that people will give you a wider berth, or does it just ensure that they are more likely to get a direct hit on you in the event that they don't see you till its too late?

We can't see the intersection, so we can't really address the hazards, other than the suggestions made already. We don't know whether taking the long way home adds 2 minutes or 30.