Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nearly got taken out on a round about by someone changings lanes in it, who is wrong?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Romie, Dec 28, 2009.

1. So I nearly got taken out on a roundabout today on my bike, 2 lane round about, car going straight through the roundabout on the 2nd lane from the right hand side. Seeing all the cars in the left lane were turning into the road I was on I decided to turn left into lane 1. Next thing im riding in the gutter with a car right up agaisnt me. the lady decided to change lanes in the round about. wtf is wrong with people.

anyway here is a pic which makes more sense. she just kept on driving along like nothing happened, dont even think she saw me even after nearly running me over which is a worry.

afew people have told me im in the wrong as im ment to give way to my right. I realise this but seriously, how I see it is.... What ever lane you enter on the round about is the lane you exit on the round about. So was I in the wrong or was she? IMO she should of exited the round about on the right hand lane, not my left lane.

24y23wz.

2. +1.

Anyone who f*ks this up should have to retake the written component of their licence test. It is just ridiculous how many people have no f*king idea what the rules are with two lane roundabouts. To make matters worse, she's probably still driving around thinking she can go wherever she damn well wants.

3. ^The worse bit is the learner book isnt clear at all, full of conflicting information

Approaching a roundabout: Vehicles entering a roundabout must give way to any
    vehicle already in the roundabout.

Going straight ahead: Do not indicate when approaching the roundabout.
    You may approach the roundabout from either left or right lanes (unless there
    are road markings with other instructions), drive in the same lane through the
    roundabout and exit in the same lane.

Roundabouts: Risks to watch for
    • Take extra care whenever you drive in a roundabout.
    • Keep an eye out for cars that are leaving the roundabout.
    • Be careful if changing lanes in a roundabout, particularly
    when leaving.

• Look out for vehicles that are making a full turn.
    • Watch for bicycles, long vehicles and motorcycles.

Abit of a grey area it looks likes

4. Say you come to a t-intersection and want to turn left onto the main road, which has two lanes in each direction. There is a car travelling in the right lane but the left is empty. Legally you must give way to the car, but that doesn't preclude you from turning into the left lane. If the car in the right lane merges into the left lane without indicating and after you have begun to perform your turn, then I reckon the car is at fault. Though you're probably right, grey legal matter.

5. I guess lesson learnt should of accelerated harder out of the round about lol. Guess ill just have to becareful from now on and be prepared.

6. Bottom line is: who's gunna be worse off if you collide? Always expect the unexpected. Sometimes, even if you have the right of way, you're better off [for reasons of self-preservation] to just wait and let the other guy go.

7. Nah, it's hard to safely accelerate hard through a 90 degree turn like that. Better lesson is that once you hop on that motorcycle, you become invisible. Except to cameras and highway patrol. But to everyone else, you're in the "I don't care" corner of their vision. :p

Glad you're OK dude!

8. better to be safe and wrong than dead and right...

9. ^ I know, was joking about the accelerating hard out of the round about, lesson learnt ill be safer next time.

10. Sorry Romie, must have missed the 'lol' back there. :p

Motorcycling, like life, is full of little lessons (and some big ones). The trick is to learn those lessons without getting injured or writing off your wheels. I've done both, so hopefully you'll stay one up on me! :grin:

11. Probably a classic case of another driver who can't stay in a lane if the lane doesn't go straight. People do it all the time. You need to watch for them.

12. Right or wrong you have to wait till they clear the roundabout so that what happened to you can be avoided. Lesson learned.

13. My pet hate is carnts who don't stay in their lane in a roundabout, especially when going straight ahead and they cut across the lanes.

14. They make assumptions.

She assumed she had a clear run through the roundabout, and she didn't.....
    You assumed she was going to stay in her lane, and she didn't....

You can take this one lesson and apply it to ALL of your riding - never make assumptions. The responsibility for your safety falls to you and only to you.

As an exersize, over the coming couple of weeks pay attention to your thinking while out riding and see how many assumptions you make.
    Then ask yourself, "what would of happened if i was wrong?" It will change the way you ride ;)

15. When my son did his P-Plate test back in September, he was in the position you described (except he was entering a 3-lane road). The left lane was clear but there was a car travelling in the middle lane and he entered the road into the left lane. He was immediately told he'd failed because he hadn't waited for both the left and the middle lane to be clear.

16. My reading of this incident is that the OP entered a roundabout and failed to give way to a vehicle already in the roundabout.

The driver had the right of way as the OP shouldn't have entered the roundabout in the first place.

You should try negotiating the roundabout at Kings & Taylors Roads in St Albans in peak hour. It's the closest to Russian Roulette you can get without a gun or bullets :eek:

17. No doubt about it she had the 'right of way', I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying to steer the OP away from the who's right - who's wrong thinking.

However according to the OP he believes she didn't see him even when she was on top of him, which says to me she wasn't looking for him.
    So he assumed she would see him, and he assumed she wouldn't change lanes.
    If he's trying to avoid getting hurt that's two strikes.

Sydney Rd/Flemington Rd is also a rippa for playing dodgems. Trams, tram tracks and the layout looks like a sneeze.

18. 1. Give way to all traffic IN/ON the round about

2. The center lane always has the right of way. Except when FOLLOWING a heavy vehicle marked with a do not pass

3. You do not indicate right if you are going strait ahead. You left indicate for the traffic coming from the 12 o'clock not the 9's. So left indicate past the 9 o'clock

4. If you are going past the 12 o'clock position you indicate right as you aproach the roundabout and keep it on till you have reached the 1, oclock and then indicate left. for the people at 3

5. If you are going left then get in the left lane and indicate as you approach.

If my 3's and 9's are confusing you. You enter at 6'oclock...... the guy's pic illistrates he was at his 6, the car came from his right 3 if he went strait ahead he was heading 12

19. Cheers Blaise. Upon reflection, that makes sense.

20. This is one of those round abouts. If I was to wait for the round about to be clear on the right 100% I would be stuck there for a very long time. This round about has a fairly heavy flow of traffic through it constantly. Anyways looks like I was wrong technically but anyone with abit of logic in their head wouldn't change lanes in a round about. But I guess that's my problem for assuming and I should learn to ride like i'm invisible. Thanks for clearing everything up, lesson learnt and ill definitely be alot more careful from now on.

I dont even know why she would of wanted to go into the left lane as you have to merge acouple hundred metres up the road into the right lane ](*,)