Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nearly caught out this morning

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by raven, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Nice and drizzly here in Melbourne after a reasonable dry spell.

Yeah...roads would be slippery, so I headed off easily, remembering to allow more space everywhere, progressive on the brakes, and easy on the throttle, keep the bike upright through turns...DOne it all a thousand times. I'm a seasoned rider and commuter, and riding my usual ride and route.

Now....I like to play a bit in the wet...get the rear spinning up, get a little sideways now and then under power etc etc. It's good fun! :grin:

So I arrive at my Monash frwy entrance, where I know it is always especially VERY slippery...One of my "play" spots... :grin:

After the stop-go light gives me the green I ease into the power and the bike spins-up a little as expected...smoothly into second, a little bit of power and a nice camber slide kicks in as I'm reaching about 80 k's not revving much at all - just a nice easy drift...all sweet, until WAMMY!, the bike suddenly flicks out from under me until I am 45deg to my direction, with the rear spinning :eek: ....Just caught it in time!!!...whew!...MAJOR wake up call from something completely unexpected.
    It could just be a spot there that has a slight camber change or gentle ridge in the road, that I copped at just the right angle/power/wheelspin, that will give an unexpected, and I suspect, variable effect on the bike...either way...I was on a road I know, on a bike I can handle, with everything going just as I had anticipated...until that moment.

Just goes to show ya...danger is ever-present...so if you can, always have something up your sleeve for when it reaches out to grab you.

Can't wait for the ride home, now! :grin:

2. :LOL: Well done mate!

Can you tell me, how do you 'catch' a powerslide? Rolling off the throttle will generally make it highside yeah? So, I'd assume you just kept feeding the power on?

Don't laugh, but I've lit the rear up on the Whoflung a couple of times when the tyres were cold and I was at lean. I just cant remember how I saved it! :LOL:

(OK, you can laugh!)
  3. Good save mate.

Got me nervous now as I'm off to pick up my brand new CBR1000RR today :? Brand new bike, brand new tires, slippery roads. Oh joy.

Any tips?
  4. u crazy boy :twisted:

i had a step out in the wet when braking as i pulled in the clutch
    i was still very upright at the time
    so i slowly eased of the brakes and clutch and it straightened up not sure of it was the right course of action though?
  5. Hewligan!
  6. Damn Juvenile Hooligans :LOL: :LOL:
    Good Save John, just take care out there :wink:
    On my way to work this .am, I couldn't believe ( or couldn't remember ) just how slippery it can be out there.
  7. Prob stating the obvious.. but make sure theyve buffed the coating off those tyres :shock:
  8. Must admit that I'm curious about this too.

From my years of driving a mid-engine sportscar, I would assume that (like in the car) applying more power and steering into the slide would be the solution if the back end accidentally steps out... But no idea if that's actually correct for a bike.
  9. The first thing to remember here, is that this is not a powerslide, Dougz. I am upright with just the rear spinning up...Had it been a powerslide I would have been down for sure.
    But in a powerslide, if you slam the throttle shut, you will indeed go over the highside nearly everytime...Rolling off the thottle gently is the key - while steering into it. If it's wet there is a fine line between going around and low-siding, or staying on, while in the dry, there is a fine line between going over the highside or staying on. A powerslide is NOT something you would want to jump into, and I have never gone further than leaving a "blackie" off the rear wheel, out of corners...

If you powerslide in the wet, the rear will whip around so quickly you won't know what hit you...in the dry, it can be a little less sudden so you can feather or stay on the throttles and let it simmer down by itself, providing you do everthing else right. :)
  10. It can be the same as with a car...you can hit the gas and hold it through the slide - no probs...trouble is...it's a razors edge of fine balance...stuff it up and you'll be on the floor...A powerslide in a car is far more forgiving (generally speaking).
  11. ^^^ All things to look forwar too hey, and they say older peopel are more mature. :p
  12. Don't worry mate...the thou can be ridden like a little lamby-poo!...It can be docile and safe as houses provided you don't snap the throttle open.

After 200 yds you'll realize that it's nothing. :)
  13. Wow Raven :shock:
  14. This is interesting for me because it's the opposite for a car - for cars, the more slippery the road surface, the slower everything happens, the more time you have to "catch" it and the more forgiving the slide is of imperfect inputs.

I so totally don't have the balls to get a bike sideways though. :p
  15. Yep...In the wet, it's a nice easy slide in a car because you still always have balance and don't have to worry about that...On a bike, it's possible to lose that balance almost instantaneously.
  16. good influence isnt he :LOL:

any one see the wankers in the V8/6's spinning there tyres (care to much for there tyres to do it sun?), not to fun when your on a bike using the same round-a-bout as they are hooning on!
  17. Not sure I can wholeheartedly agree about cars and slippery - it does depend on your speed.

Even at 40 kmh on a wet road you can suddenly break free and have the back end come around if you back off enough while pushing it through a corner. You then have to be quick on the throttle again to pull it back in line.

The higher the speed the more it will break away, and the more suddenly too, in the wet. Maybe the type of tyres in use affect it also.

If you are just spinning the wheels at takeoff on a wet road things happen more slowly...

I think that is also why there are so many rear-enders in the wet - traction goes quickly and does not easily return.

Trevor G
  18. nice!
    stunt it up!!!11one
  19. You hoon! :grin:
  20. I have found that maintaining a power slide or recovering one is more about how you got there in the first place. If I'm leaving it too late to get on the throttle, then rolling on quickly as a result, it's harder to go back to the throttle position necessary to maintain or back out of a slide gently - it's a gamble then whether you nearly highside it, low side, or actually crash. If I make a habit of rolling on the throttle progressively as early as possible, I'm on the traction limit more consistently and can simply maintain that throttle position to stop the slide, or keep rolling it on gently to ride it out.

Rear suspension setup is crucial too. You don't want to be pogo'ing, bogging down then sliding abruptly, or riding too low in the stroke with the wheel stuttering through the slide.

But then sometimes shit just happens and you end up on your head anyway. *shrug* :LOL: