Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nearly a head-on

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by botch, Jun 20, 2015.

1. I'm fairly new to riding, it's been about 4 or 5 weeks of bike ownership.

Anyway, today I decided it was time I hit the twisties for the first time. It was going well...gear changes are getting pretty smooth/consistent, countersteering was working for me.

So to paint a picture, I was coming up to a sweeping right hander. I changed down a gear and let the wngine braking slow me down a touch. As I started to turn my head to enter the turn, this twat came from the opposite direction.

All good, except he was going waaaaay quicker than he should have for that corner. Subsequently, he ended up with about half his car in my lane.

Fortunately I was closer to the shoulder than the white line, otherwise he would have collected me.

For interest sake, it was a 100km/h zone, with an 85km/h marked bend. I was at about 90, him well over.

Needless to say, I may have cursed a bit (by which I mean ALOT!), and my adrenaline was through the roof.

Scared the living f**k out of me!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but O gotta get that out.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Great that you can relive the story. Good job avoiding it
  3. Haha....yeah i'm stoked to be alive still!!

Not really sure what i did to avoid it though. All i did really was let go of the throttle to help the bike stand up a bit, but keep drive to the rear wheel.
  4. Glad you got out of it fine and in one piece. You can just never tell whats coming around a corner, so always a reason to have some wiggle room in reserve, and not be at 100%. Easier said than done at times though :whistle:
  5. Ride any twisty road on any twisty day and you will see cars using more than one lane, and most don't care what is coming the other way unless it is bigger than them.....
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Well done for staying composed.

Chalk it up on the experience tally, move on. I'm glad it ended well.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The good thing is you're OK.
    The bad thing is that it will happen more often than you may think.

You always need to have something up your sleeve on the public roads as other road users will be making mistakes.

It's part of riding and you need to account the other road users a lot more when you're on the bike.

Having said that, imagine you'd be in a car then.
    Guaranteed head on.

The bike's biggest advantage is agility and acceleration.

In your situation, you (whether willingly or not) used the agility of the bike to get out of there (or rather NOT being in the danger spot in the first place).
    Use it. You can't do it in a car.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. As the other have said, this is unfortunately a very common situation. Car drivers think they have enough time to swerve back in, or otherwise simply don't give a - because they have lots of crumple space in front of them and airbags if anything goes wrong...

I've found taking corners wide on the road, and cutting in only after you can see through the safer approach. Of course, it's different if you can see through the corner and know what's coming - but on blind corners I tend to be far more cautious. I figure there will always be another corner (just around the bend ... sorry couldn't resist :) ) - I just want to make sure that I'm still on the bike to take the next one.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  9. botchbotch glad you came out of it okay - my husband was in a similar situation just over 12 months ago but not so lucky - ended up in hospital for just over 4 months with a fractured pelvis and spinal injuries - he is an experienced rider so it certainly pays to think that there is going to be a fcukwit four week drive coming around the corner in your lane - keep enjoying those twisties :)
  10. First day I went for a ride in like 6 years... Car comes around a well visible corner, cuts it like crazy... he swerves ineffectively at the last minute... I saw him and slowed/moved before it was a problem for me or else I'd have been toast.

But yeah... how's that for a first day back? :p
  11. No surprises no accidents

Now you know that it doesn't mater what the road rules say or what lines are painted on the bitumen ... your life is in your hands ... be prepared.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I find that a spirited ride is better early in the morning as there is less traffic on the road and your chances of getting hit are less. If i were to take a corner at full tilt later in the day the chances of being collected by a car or bike running wide are much higher. So take that into consideration as well.
  13. I have a had a few close calls in the corners as well, there is nothing like squeesing between the rail and an oncoming car or truck in a tight corner, your arse just puckers and clamps on the seat, heart rate goes up a bit.

Just be aware that its everything including bikes that go wide crossing the line and cutting corners.

So many people are in to much of a hurry, and by going to fast end up going wide and in some cases losing control and crashing, then there is the racing set, this lot are trying to make their next personal best time for that section of road, or worst still group racing.

What can we do about it, we can't effect what oncoming traffic does, but we can be aware that it does happen, be alert, practice emergecy avoidance and don't panic.

Some roads are more prone to it than others.....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Clearly i'm not alone. Crap situation, but like lots have said, one we need to be well aware of.

PeonyPeony....that's exactly what flashed through my mind in the split second i saw the front of the car on my side.

Like i mentioned, it was my first go at twisties, so I wasn't hugging the white line nor going hell for leather. Still coming to grips with hitting corners at close to the speed limit on two wheels instead of four....much different to the 30-40km/h i get to when i mountain bike down a hill!!
  15. Was talking to someone from Kinglake (near Melbourne) a while ago and he said most of the bike crashes on the Kinglake Rd are on right handers (for the bike) when a car runs wide.
    Have to watch for logging trucks too. Often they just don't fit on their side of the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sure would be nice if all roads were two lanes and one way
  17. Glad to hear you got out of it okay; an important lesson for future rides through the twisties.
    I try to never hang any part of myself over the centre line, I am constantly amazed when I see bikes with their tyres on their side of the line, but their head hanging a foot or so into the oncoming lane.
    I must say, I've had a few scares from cars, as you have. But I've found other bikes coming from the other direction to be worse than most cars. I ride most weekends up around the snowies or NE Vic, and see bikes overshoot corners almost every time. Most local riders I speak to say the same thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TBH, IMO sometimes bikes are as bad as cars. Someone pushing too hard or cutting too far can be really scary when they are coming straight at you.
    A bike that's not going to make it around the corner, drifting further and further over to your side, is not pleasant.
    Do you hope they can sort it out and run wide yourself ?
    Do you cut over to their side and cut the corner ?
    It's a quick evaluation and decision.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. That's an interesting comment.
    I would have guessed it would be left-handers, either because the bike turned in too soon and ran wide on exit, or because the car cut the corner as the bike was setting up wide.
    But clearly not. It points to cars misjudging cornering speed or using bad technique.

I'll stick to my guns and continue to set up wide on entry, even on blind left-handers. It may put me in the path of a corner-cutter, but I'll have much more time and space to do something about it.
    And if the car is going to run wide on my right-hander, I'll already be as far left as possible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The further you look through a corner, the sooner you see the car trying to kill you, the longer you have to avoid it.

Run through the cornering series in the technique forum - it will help.

Welcome to riding!
    • Agree Agree x 2