Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Near miss on the Eastern

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by awseome, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Since i have now regained my composure, thought would share it here. Happened today morning on the way to work, around 6:45 AM, still dark enough for car's to have their lights on. I was in the right lane, behind a slow truck ( i thought trucks were banned in the right lane on the eastern), I saw a gap in the left, changed lanes and accelerated, and 50 meters away a big piece of metal. not straight, uneven protruding bits. Speed 93 ( i glanced ), not enough time or distance to swerve, and not a good idea to E-brake, I don't know how did i do it, but i slowed, no brakes and hit it dead in center, i probably was in the air for a bit, bike was bit unsteady on landing, controlled that and took off. rode as usual came into work and that's when it hit me. it was very very close. a lighter bike might have done me.

Anyways enjoy the read, while i go look for spare pants.

2. fark that's a close one well done :)

3. Well done on managing a bad situation.
    I suppose the next thing is to review it and see if there was anything you could have done to avoid finding yourself facing that problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. i have thought and thought. as i would it was a massive miss, but no i cant think of any other option, braking was not an option, i would have come off. both lanes were full and moving at around 90. But yes i could have slowed a lot more before changing lanes. so i had a clearer view, So yes titus i could have done something. which i guess i will from now onwards. What i am happy about is that experience kicked in. Just steadying the bike slowing it down hitting at the right place. that saved me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Totally understand. You're the one who was on the spot, you make the judgement.
    Just out of interest, what do you think the rogue piece of metal may have been, or came off? Sounds like the kind of thing that could maybe take cars out as well.

6. there was a tradie pulled over not far away, looking back. it looked like tool or something, it would cause damage to a car it was big enough.

7. Good save and glad that you managed to stay upright...

If its a big piece of metal, it can cause damage to cars and could even pierce the floor of the car and I hurt someone even more.

Is there a number you can call and raise your concern?

8. Lucky that truck was in the right hand lane then. If it had gone over it and you were behind....shrapnel time.

9. One of those 'think like a motocrosser' moments. Arse off the seat, knees bent, arms relaxed, quick squirt of gas if you can before impact................ and ride it out - hopefully.

Well done awseomeawseome

• Like Like x 3
  10. arse was in the air :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. I had a similar thing happen on the freeway when a large piece of wood fell off the back of a tray truck, i was driving behind it.

The wood went under the left side of my car and bent the rim, causing the tire to flatten, which in turn destroyed the tire (100kms/h). The front left was leaking air as well due to the smaller dent in the rim.

Glad to hear you are OK and the bike hasn't suffered.

Cheers
    Juz

12. Seeing crap on the road is one of my biggest peeves when on the bike, sometimes you're right on it before the brain kicks into gear. Glad you were able to make a safe decision for the moment.

13. First of all awesome, good job on avoiding further grief when you spotted the problem. Nice to see someone, thinking on their feet when the adrenaline hits.

But the decision to go up the inside could use some scrutiny. Which it sounds like you've done. So goodo feel free to ignore the rest.

In a situation like this, coming up behind a big truck in the wrong lane, the first instinct is always going to be something along the lines of "What's this git doing, doesn't he know the rules ? Now how do I get around him ?" I really get that because patience is not one of my strong suits either. Having said that, it is always worth pausing for a moment and considering the big picture.

This is a "professional driver" and generally they do know the rules, so if he's in the "wrong lane" there is probably a good reason for it, such as a dirty great chunk of metal in the road. He (or she) also sits a hell of a lot higher up than we do and can usually see a chunk further ahead, so he has usually got some early warning of problems ahead. Now I would be the first to agree that there are some truckies driving who probably shouldn't be, just as there are riders and drivers in the same category. Usually though, if they're impaired, incompetent or otherwise erratic, it will show up in their vehicle handling. So if they're driving normally aside from being in the wrong lane, there should be a little niggling voice in the back of your mind, saying "why ?". Perhaps drop back a little further as you suggest yourself and get a better look at why he has chosen the road position he's in before committing to a pass on the inside, which can be a problematic choice on it's own anyway, that way you have a chance to pick up what he's trying to avoid and to assess whether there is space in front of him to pull back into the other lane. You really don't want to sneak up the inside of that truck and back across in front of him as he may be completely unaware that you are there. Trucks periodically run over the top of cars that have done this so bikes really need to make sure they leave space before pulling back in front of a truck.

I reckon defensive riding is a lot like kayaking. The road is the river, the traffic is the water . You don't necessarily watch every little bit of water as it flows down the river, but you scan ahead for anything that alters the way the water flows. So you're looking for that big rock under the surface, or the white water where there are shallows, the submerged logs and eddies and whirlpools. Those are the things that cause you problems. Same on the road, you're looking ahead for the erratic drivers, and lane changers, the guys cutting across multiple lanes to get off at the exit or jumping on and off the accelerator and brakes. People jumping across lanes at exits, road works or to get around cyclists and so on. Anything that changes and disrupts the flow of traffic should be ringing alarm bells. There's still plenty of things to look for with individual vehicles, but watching the flow of traffic helps to identify areas where you should be paying more attention, zooming in for more detail if you like and actively searching for hazards.

May the underwear gods smile on your quest for fresh pants :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. totally agree, life is about learning lessons, I learn one today, and you are right about why he was in that lane. thanks for sharing mate.

15. I think a good name for it is "spidey sense".
    It makes me wonder if the writers of the original concept of spiderman were riders.
    I'm not sure you could class spidey sense alongside intuition or even roadcraft. It's something born from a combination of experience, fear, paranoia, and intelligence. And I think it is something that is not instinctual, but learned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. You raise some interesting points Fatbastard.

Never overlook the behaviour professional driver on the road, unless they drive a taxi. While we can usually out accelerate and manoeuvre, they can SEE stuff coming up because they are where they are. They have a different way of looking at things and have a very different perspective. Anything which might hold them up will be avoided and they can see a long way up the road. Lane selection is a quite a deliberate thing.

They can be your eyes. Sometimes the fear of something emerging out from under that truck you are following is unfounded, particularly on multi-lane roads. There are things that they will not just run over, given a choice. They do know the rules.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 Fr33dm, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Very close call, but what an expert and cool-headed handling! You have amazingly appropriate screen name Mr awseomeawseome (y). Thank you for sharing, and thank you fatbastardfatbastard and jstavajstava for the analysis and some great points to consider. Invaluable lesson for the new riders like myself.

18. Vic Roads have a hazard report number in Melbourne. Ph: 13 11 70

I called in a Diesel spill once, and an hour later on my return trip, there was a crew out there sorting it out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. I've done something very similar there. On a slight left bend, doing 100 (and a bit ), slight lean and at the last minute spotted something. I hit it, felt a loss of road contract, wobbled, but stayed upright... Thinking back over what I had just hit I'm certain it had been the black hexagonal weight that belongs on the bottom of a hazard bollard...