Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Near miss for me

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by BenJordan, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Hey All,

So riding home from work a couple of weeks ago, in the bus lane (in NSW) with main lanes progressing slower than usual (but not stopped) and an airport shuttle pulls out from a side street.

6hrs in Westmead Emergency and a written off bike later (I was cut and bruised by no breaks!) I think I am struggling to convince the Mrs and our families that getting a new bike is a good idea.

You guys have any ideas or advice here? Just buy one anyway? Explain to them that it wasn't my fault?

2. Sorry to hear about that but glad you are all ok, as for riding again I guess it all depends on whether you really want to or not. If you do then get another one.

As for what you tell them, anything you think will make it easier for them.
  3. Should the bus have expected you to be in his lane?
  4. this thread is going to be very entertaining
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. #5 BenJordan, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    It was an airport taxi (a van) not a government/private bus service.

It is legal to be in a bus lane on a motorbike. If someone doesn't expect you to be somewhere on the road, does that exempt them from their responsibility to check?
  6. Get a truck license if you want to be safer :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. That's not what he said. He said how to convince the missus etc.. Personally, I'd be saying I'm going to buy another and I'd be damn pissed if anyone tried to squash something I really want to do, and how would they like it if you did that to them?

But that's me. Good luck.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. His lane?
  9. You lived just like somone does in a car accident. Missus gives up the car and you agree to give up the bike. Not like anyone dies on a bus, train, plane anymore ;)
  10. its not a hard decision.

• Funny Funny x 11
  11. Just my $0.02 if you care...

Don't bother explaining whose fault it is because your close people care about you irrelevantly of who's at fault. Biker comes out second best as you know.

But you can bring attention to you doing everything possible to eliminate any situation irrelevantly of the fault.

It probably took me 2 years for my wife and relatives to accept the biking.

And it was only because it was, is and will be extremely important to me. One of my biggest passions in my life. I've had ups and downs when I really showed to them that it is part of my life, something worth living for.
    I showed them that I was serious about it and they saw that... My best friends are bikers - top blokes with dignity, humanity, utter respect to each other and people around.

The biking made me a much better person in life because for me it's dead serious.
    It's not only riding techniques, road craft etc, it's your brain, ego, being able to be dead honest with yourself, managing your senses and so much more that you can't experience in "normal" life... Probably because in normal life you can afford making mistakes. Not so much on the bike...

I respect my close people not liking me riding, but they also respect my passion.
    That took a lot of effort, sweat and tears.

At the end of the day, my convincing was in my passion.

That's my way and of course yours will probably be different.
    But I thought it could give you some inspiration.

If I had to say one word then it would be passion.

Wish you best of luck!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Easier for me since my wife rides as well - not as much as I would like but anyway, my family accepts it because they know the effect it has on me. Example is yesterday, I was out of sorts and everyone knew it. Disappeared on the bike for a couple of hours and in a much better headspace.

They mightn't love the riding but they see that it's important and support me.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Riding gets my head right too. Everything else fades away as I carve the perfect set of bends
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I'd strongly suggest you don't say, "it wasn't my fault." That's exactly what significant others are worried about and plays straight into their hands. They'll say it isn't you they're worried about, it's the other idiots on the road. And you've given them prime example #1.

Take the rap for the accident and explain that you've learned a valuable lesson as it could have been avoided if you were riding with more defensive awareness. Tell her the first thing you'll do with your new bike is a defensive riding course (whether you do or not is beside the point). Tell her you're getting a bike with ABS and traction control. Tell her you full body armour ATGATT from here on. Cry and plead on bended knee ... okay, that's too much.

Or give up riding if you think you are going to keep running into cagers doing dumb things then saying it's their fault as you lay in your hospital bed ;-)
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Get a divorce.

And stop running into stuff.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/buses/buslanes/
    Well I'll be blowed, so it is, goes to show how often I ride or drive in Sydney.
    By the same token, if the bus driver didn't know that either, he may have been a bit surprised to find a small vehicle in a lane where he'd normally only see great big ones......
    As for your main question, your decision depends solely on how much you value your long-term relationship with your family.......
  17. Give up riding. Don't give up riding. It's your choice.

I will however offer two conflicting options.

1. Don't worry about what your wife says, if she doesn't want you riding then she's a biatch and you shouldn't have married her in the first place.

2. Listen to your wife's concerns, it's important for these sorts of decisions be made together. You can always try riding later.
  18. That No. 2 is the most convincing argument for keeping on riding I've ever heard. :confused:
  19. Ride the bike.

You only get one life.

There are plenty of wives around.