Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Near Highside A Vtr250?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Dirtos, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Hi all,

So taking off from the lights directly into a right hander in a 3 lane road (middle lane)I get leant over a fair bit for a slow take off and must have punched it a bit too much in 1st as I get a huge wobble and it nearly lost it.

I am a noob rider and just when I thought I was getting ok at riding this happens, then I just had to get out of there asap so I didn't have to look at the other drivers next to me again:eek:

Was it just too much throttle?

Didn't really think the vtr would have enough punch to do that.

Good learning experience I guess and managed to save it somehow at least
  2. Depending on the conditions, the road and your bike, it is possible to low or highside on any rig. What you need to be doing is being smooth and feathering the throttle/clutch to get a steady launch. If you're too rough with it, you're going to lose traction eventually. You will probably get lucky a few times due to the road being grippy, tires being nice and warm etc but one day you'll hit a poor road surface on cold tires and be a bit too grabby with the clutch/throttle and you'll meet the black top.

Incidentally, if you do happen to get out sideways, don't let go of the throttle. It's the #1 instinctual thing to do, but don't get out of it. You can hold the throttle steady, countersteer and come out of it, or you can lowside. I don't know many riders who'd prefer a highside over a lowside.
  3. Were your tyres warmed up? Cold tyres in this situation may cause you break traction but it's always best to be smoooooth on the throttle when moving off the mark. In addition, take heed of screwball's second paragraph... cutting the throttle in this situation is a very common SR which can have the effect of making you even more unstable.:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tyres were probably quite cold only had ridden through the city about 3k's. I think I stayed on the throttle as it happened quite quickly and before I knew it I was back on track. Just my first real F up...
  5. Havent had the experience so I couldnt tell ya...

but, as soon as you think you're doing ok.. shit happens.. like stalling at the lights, kicking down/up a little too lightly finding neutral in a turn.. turning wide/short on a corner you take everyday.. etc.. not that any of this has happened to me..... :arghh:

Glad to hear nothing but a lesson came from this mate.. don't kick yourself too much - learn from it and move on (y)
  6. +stalling at lights when someone's leading you into lane splitting ...hey Syd =P
  7. Whatchoo talkin' about 87crisis?? :eek:

But yeah..don't lane split if you're not confident in your skills :p
    • Like Like x 1
  8. did it last week on the way to work..... on the vtr.... first corner from home, flat on the throttle... near low side and a big wobble... not 100% sure if it was cold tyres or paint and crud on the road... gave me a scare then made me laugh at myself... turns out i need to respect the 250 a little more after all
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yet another reminder that anything two-wheeled is a different beast. Can't really afford to snooze on a bike.

I had it a while back at a set of lights on my way to work. I start a these lights every day, same spot. I was just zoned out, sitting at the front after filtering. Lights go green, I gun it as per the norm and catch what ended up being a dirty spot of oil (I inspected it the next day) and long story short, I did a huge burnout all through first gear. From any other viewpoint, it would have looked pro as. From my viewpoint, I wasn't ballsy enough to come off the throttle, and felt in control of the bike so I carried it through.

More ass than class.
  10. 250 is nice and forgiving right up until its not nice and forgiving. Same as any bike, just the lil ones deceive you more than a biggie.
    Anyone who has ridden a 250 for all its worth and has something like a 600-thou to compare it to will know that the 250 has way more shortcomings in every respect (except weight lol), and the cross from forgiving to unforgiving is quite quick!
  11. Sorry mate it's not 100% clear in the OP. did this happen as soon as you took off from stationary or as you leant it into the right hander?

I've had my gf's 250 step out a number of times and it runs very good tyres.

If it was during the turn, the best advice I can give is in that scenario don't take the bend in 1st, even on a 125. The best process is if you gotta take off and turn straight away is to take off fast then do a quick short shift to 2nd immediately before tipping in. Shift, clutch out, turn, throttle. Being on a small bike you can then open the throttle very hard through the turn, even though the bike feels sluggish you'll actually get through the corner faster and cleaner than in first. The trick is learning to time the shift with your turn in point.
  12. Yeah I had just taken off from lights directly into a right hander
  13. Did it break loose as soon as the bike moved from stationary or was it after you were moving and started the turn?
  14. In the turn I was leant over quite a bit (for slow speed) and then snapped back up
  15. I'm not as experienced as many members here are, but as UDLOSE suggested, it's always advisable to take turns in at least 2nd gear. 1st gear can get too snatchy even for a 250, and you wouldn't want that while leaning in a bend, unless you have 100% confidence in your throttle control.
  16. Yeh I'd say cold tyres, you were probably asking a bit too much from them. Try going to 2nd before starting the turn next time and see how you go, it won't warm the tyres but you'll be smoother.

It goes to show that bikes can give decent warning signs before they maul you.

On cold tyres if I'm pushing my luck I'll feel this strange feeling like the feel of the road just goes away and I crap myself and try to stand it up (i think its what they call front wheel tuck). That's the bike telling me the tyres aren't warm. Doesn't mean instant death but its important to take it as a warning and ease off for a bit.