Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Near death experience on freeway

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Kernel, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Well not that long ago I was riding on the freeway, some stupid biatch in a red car with her kids in the back next to me in the lane on my right decides to pull into my lane, no indication. I had to merge into the lane on my left to avoid being cleaned up, did not even have time to check if there was anything there. I beeped the horn at her, she didn't even notice/care. People like that shouldn't be allowed to drive. :furious:

And just this morning, on Wellington Road coming away from Monash University, this moron decides to pull out in front of me out of a service lane in order to get to the next service lane! Admittedly I was going too fast but had I not slowed down I would've definitely smashed in to him. Bloody idiot! :censored:

2. #2 joetdm, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Firstly and most importantly, you're ok and something to put into your bag of experience that never fills...

Now the following is some friendly advice and it's up to you whether you take in on board...

Now, in both those instances, the fact that they were in the wrong means nothing..
    Cagers are not out to kill you but most of the time a case of [URL="]smidsy[/URL]...

The first instant should be a reminder to never ride along side a car as the chances are you're in their blind spot.
    Yeah yeah I know they should look but the fact is most cagers check their mirrors and that about it.
    So position your self so a vehicle to either side of you in their lanes are either ahead or behind you even if it means increasing or decreasin distance between you and the car ahead by either slowing up or increasing your speed...
    Of course always keep a minimum distance.

In the second instance, once again looks like a [URL="]smidsy[/URL].
    You should be backing off the throttle losing some of that forward momentum as soon as you notice anyone waiting to enter your line of traffic..
    You want the best chance you have which in most cases does reduce the faster one goes.
    It's all about anticipating and expecting the unexpected...
    Don't let others doing the wrong thing get to you and practise and develop skills in taking as much control of any situation you come across.

There are two types of riding out there, firstly skills in those runs through those awesome roads and the other is surviving when you're surrounded by the rest of the world..

I have a statement in my signature that I live by...

Cheers buddy.
  3. glad you walked away from your freeway incident unhurt...I wasn't so lucky
  4. If you didn't have time to check that your escape route was clear before using it, that suggests, to me, that you could, usefully, have been further away from the car that merged on you.

Were you in the right hand wheel track? I know that general advice is to do so. However, it's not appropriate in all cases. One case where it's not is when alongside another vehicle. At those times, you're better off in the furthest wheel track from the threat vehicle. If you've traffic on both sides, the middle of the lane is best, while looking for an opportunity to get clear road on at least one side of you. I know that's not conventional wisdom, but, away from junctions you'll generally be OK.

Anyway, glad you survived, but treat it as a learning experience rather than an opportunity for cager hate.
  5. +1 Joedelosa - Great reply. We must always maintain focus, stay sharp, alert and trust no one on the road. At the end of the day we can only control our own actions, no point getting upset about something some one else has done. Just need to counter for it.
  6. #6 Kernel, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks very much for your excellent reply, I don't really let it get to me but I decided to share my experiences and get it off my chest. You are right about taking it as an experience, which I do, every day I learn new ways to increase my chances of not having an accident and have probably been in more than a few situations where if it wasn't for my intuition/initiative I would have been seriously injured. I will definitely take your advice and not ride along side cars anymore. I wasn't actually in her blind spot as I was a little bit ahead of her and she would have been able to see me in her peripheral vision, she just was not paying attention. You are right though, it is my responsibility to make sure I have enough time to look for an escape route should the need arise.
  7. @ joedelosa

And right you are.

That's how it plays - that's how it unfolds. That's what we have to deal with and work our way around every single day. At the end of the day, they might have to fill in some paperwork. We might need our family to fill in some paperwork...

If you ride a motorcycle, you and NOBODY ELSE is / are responsible for your safety. Tough gig, but still worth doing.
  8. Get an air horn ... no wait, two air horns. That will get through her thick head. :)
  9. Good n ya mate. I agreed with the general comments, and suggestions, and you took it the right way. Respect.

On the subject of the car pulling out on you...drivers are used to the prevailing traffis movement and speed. So when you come at them faster, it can be quite difficult for a drivers to pick up any visual cue's.
    The main problem is "speed differential", and since that was completely in your hands, it's up to you to be ready in case your speed is misjudged, coz it usually will be.
    Sorry if i'm preaching to the converted...in that case, consider it as just a reminder :)

I know you are just venting, that's what this thread is about...to help get things of your chest to people who understand it from a riders perspective.
    Our humble comments are only to help ease the angst we all go through.
  10. Thanks for the respect and the reply, I was actually doing the same speed as her IIRC.
    Captain_Slow, Yes I think I will definitely do the air horn conversion, don't know about two though... I saw an old norton commando that had two air horns though, looked pretty damn loud :demon: . Only trouble is that with some drivers they will think "ooh big truck! where?" and not do anything while they're looking for a truck! Maybe one air horn and chuck a couple of loud electric horns into the mix, that'll be sure to get me noticed.
  11. Think of it more as a stress relief mechanism for you, and an educational device for other road users!

At the end of the day, a motorcyclist can't afford to hold their ground, no matter how many airhorns at their disposal, and must take evasive action. If it's any consolation, you'll get less pissed off as time passes with any road user who tries to kill you, because you'll be ready for it and know what to do.

But if you want, ride with a hi-def video camera attached to your helmet, and post a link to the juiciest bits of footage here on NetRider, so we can all have a good yarn about how daft and incompetent the average motorist is, and revel in our superior road skills and ability to survive Melbourne traffic. :p
  12. Quoted for truth :D

Well done on being grown up about the situation and learning from it. Too many riders get all offended when somebody merges into their lane... Instead of assessing how they can potentially avoid the situation through their own riding.

Stay Upright ;) :D
  13. Thanks everyone. I would like to ride around with a camera but I think cams on helmets look pretty silly. Maybe a camera on the handlebars connected to the bike's battery with a vibration-proof mount. That way I will have video evidence if anything happens, and if I catch something out of the ordinary on it I might get lots of view on youtube =D>.
    Why have you put "looked" in bold, wasn't it really that loud?
  14. I'm in two minds about an always on camera. If I never broke any rules, it'd be great, but I wouldn't like to be having a little fun and get pulled up for a friendly chat, then have my camera impounded as evidence...

I mean sheesh! If I wanted them to know where I hid the axe and know where I buried the bodies, I'd just tell them!

I've always found lights more effective as a warning device than a horn, and neither is as effective as the sound of a locked tyre. That said - the times when I've really needed something, I've had my hands full just riding the bike. Beeping the fog-horn off the queen mary afterwards may carry a certain small satisfaction, but it won't help save your skin.
  15. @Kernel: how can something look loud? Don't you normally use your ears as opposed to your eyes for that kinda stuff... Or is it just me that does that?