Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NC700SA or CB400??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Prle77, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Heya guys...

Think my wifey's the greatest...!!
    Why... well
    Since we met she knew I was interested in motorbikes.. and one xmass she gave me a booking for learners.. yeey... Nice start
    Few months later we decided to buy motorbike... decission has fallen.. CB400.. Love the bike..

Now few years later... we spoke about getting advanced training.. (she has licence too).. so she booked it in (sometimes in november)
    Now I've told her since we have only one motorbike.. only one of us can go for the training at the time.. so was a bit peed off when she told me she booked the training for both of us at the same time.. so after about few minutes of me telling her off for not listening she sort of told me she was saving money to get second motorbike..

Now I had a quick look at honda (like honda) so was thinking about getting slightly bigger bike..
    Ok I'm not racer.. more of a cruiser.. and naked suits me just fine..
    So I'm in between .. either one more CB400... or NC700SA... had a search around forum and over the net.. but nothing too conclusive...
    Please keep in mind.. I still haven't seen NC700SA in live (hoping maybe next weekend to visit a shop to check it out) but would like to hear opinion from more experience riders...
    What attracked me to NC700SA was built in storage, fuel efficiency and it is a bit more powerfull than CB400 but not overly.. (Not really into 1000CC bikes.. I mean .. I like them ... they are great.. but perhaps not really my cup of tea... if that makes sense..)

Pro and con comments appreciated...
    Thanks guys
  2. from what i've read about the NC700 is that it's a pretty damn pointless motorcycle. It'll be good at nothing in particular except commuting (yawn) and being a 670 it's not LAMS approved which loses half of its resale value already.
    i wouldn't get it.
    if it must absolutely be between those bikes then the cb400.
    but why not expand your horizons?
    consider a hooligan bike, like an RVF400.
    or what about a motard?
    or how about a dirty to take out to the bush for a completely different experience?
    or better still, how about something in between that you can do both on, so you can ride the bike down to the dirt instead of towing it. such as a DRZ400, or a DR650, which I own and can personally recommend, especially if you want something you can commute on as well.
  3. NC700s are somewhat rare, the combination of low power and high weight meant they were never really popular with those who's buying decision is largely influenced by figures on paper. They did do better overseas, particularly in Europe, so should be easy to live with if you're not chasing outright performance.

I reckon the better option though would be a DL650 Vstrom. Much more plentiful, so easier to get a good one cheap, and most came fitted with a fair amount of storage.
  4. Looking at the specs... Weight wise NC700 is not much heavier than CB400.. I mean CB400 is about 190kg.. while NC700 is roughly 210kg..

Another attaction to it would be a price I guess... from what I could see on the internet it is approx $8500
    While CB400 is about $10500.. (we're talking brand new stuff.. )

Haven't had a chance of looking up other bikes... still recovering from the shock... :)
  5. +1 to the Strom, and I wouldn't buy the first generation of anything (NC700SA)too many companies expect the customer to do the field testing for them these days.
  6. Looks like you're comparing the wet weight of the CB400 with the dry weight of the NC700. 190kg vs 230kg would be a more realistic comparison, and when you consider that the NC700 actually has 5hp less than the 400 you can see why it's considered overweight and underpowered
  7. The NC models are still fairly new, so they might be a bit thin on the ground. If the economy, torque and practicality work for you without driving you nuts every time you try to rev past the limiter, they look to be a good thing.

But if you can wait a bit (and maybe it won't be quite soon enough), the new leaked Honda 500 twin models, a faired CBR and naked CB version, might be just right. Chances are that they'll be more fun than the NC series and less busy than the 400.
  8. if you can keep it LAMS approved it certainly won't HURT your resale. Unless you really want the helmet storage under the fuel tank the 700 has then i'd go the CB400 or something else...
  9. A lot of people rag on the Suzuki Gladius due to its unconventional looks, but the successor to the iconic SV650 is a versatile naked bike with more than meets the eye.

I've owned the LAMS model for close to three years, having since acquired a bigger bike for touring. However, the 1000cc tourer has helped me appreciate the Gladius's qualities even more. Despite the neutered top end for LAMS approval, the bike delivers gobs of torque right off the bat, which means it's more usable in the real world than an inline-four. It's at home in inner city traffic, yet well suited for 500-800 km joy rides [done 1000 km in one stretch]; fuel efficiency is very good to excellent; gearing is slick; handling is precise [with tighter suspension settings]; the V-twin rumble is authoritative and draws harmless attention [with an after-market M4 exhaust]; and that gem of an engine never fails to put a grin on my face with its enthusiasm.

On paper, it's beaten by models such as the CB400. In typical real-world usage, the Gladius will feel more responsive and be practical.

Either the LAMS or full power model is definitely worth short-listing. What will likely make or break the deal is its looks -- it challenges established design conventions, but I love it for that very reason. See one in the flesh to decide, as pictures do not do it justice.
  10. I've looked at the Gladius for some of the reasons you mentioned but also for its more upright riding position. The price at the moment is under 10k ride away and I've been offered what I paid for the GPX.
    What has me a bit concerned though is that I looked at a couple of second hand ones and they seemed to be a bit tired for their mileage, nothing specific, little things that indicate a "built to a price" scenario.
    But yes a good bike for the money if you like the transforma look of it.
  11. if you want a lams cruiser get a Yamaha XVS650, if you want a maxi scooter get a Burgman 650.
  12. that statement cracks me up every time i hear it. whatever marketing gura came up with it to describe whatever horrid beast they were tasked with selling deserves a medal.

"challenging the establishment" like magda savansky challenges Hussein Bolt at the 100m
  13. Magda would be fine around town, not so sure how she'd fare on the Putty run though.

Hussein has limited storage space.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Well looks like NC700SA might be out of game anyway...
    Wifey just informed me ...
    She called the shop.. they have advised her.. although they have it in showroom.. we would need to wait until march next year to get it...
    considering I need to sort out second bike by early to mid november my choices are a bit limited.... Unless they give me showroom model????:-s
  15. Dont get the NC700 it is a pointless thing for the australian market. Slow and shitty commuter bike without lams approval? nice one honda.they should have sleeved it down to 660 and got it approved, you would have to be a fool to buy one.

Either go for a lams maxi scooter if you want something boring but suited for obese people.

Otherwise just get another cb400
  16. Did I really write that? *checks* Shit, I did :facepalm:

All fixed now. That was close. Must keep in mind: coffee first, post later.
  17. The NC is not pointless, it has better fuel economy than anything that runs that fast and it has a trunk in the tank.

I would guess it is going to last a very long time as well because it is so understressed, it would make a great commuter if you were doing 100km a day or so.
  18. Where are you located Prle77??
    I may have a very low km 2011 model CB400 for sale if you are interested going down the second hand route
  19. Heya Astro
    I'm in Melbourne...
  20. The Gladius was recommended to me (not by a bike salesman) when I was looking for a LAMS machine for a taller rider.