Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Navigation System (GPS) for bikes + Scooters

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by undii, Mar 11, 2005.

1. From http://www.gadgetryblog.com/gadgetryblog/2005/03/worlds_first_na.html

TomTom has today announced the launch of TomTom RIDER, the first ever all-in-one navigation solution designed specifically for drivers of motorcycles and scooters. If you find you've got plenty of eyeball time whilst riding your bike to play with an electronic device, the TomTom RIDER should suffice.

Go to the web page above for the full article.

2. When are they planning to have mapping and naviation info for the Aussie Market? :cry:
  3. Hey Matt, I currently have a HP4700 series PDA, BLuetooth GPS and in-car mounting system that drives me anywhere I want to go. AWESOME.

So, to answer your questions, the software for Australia is available and has been for a couple of years now.... :D
  4. In my opinion, not a bad idea... Afterall, we cant whip out the melways and read it whilst riding can we... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Exactly :) I've been going to places I haven't been before on my bike so I've been priting out the 'destination guide' thing on www.whereis.com.au and sticky taping it on my fuel tank cap. It's basically just a print out of what streets to turn and distance. A navigation thing would be handy :)
  6. I've been keeping my eye on the Garmin StreetPilot 2650, sooooooo tempting but its pricey even with the discount from our partners.

7. True for some systems (PDAs, Garmin, etc), but has it been ported to the TomTom system? I have my doubts if its a proprietary system.
  8. GPS system for the bike?

Getting sick of having to pull over to yank out the referdex.

Anyone know of a good system for the bike? With automapping and waterproof. Plus easy dismounting/mounting.

I know about the site http://www.gpsriders.net/

Also need good battery life, so the colour models are out :)

9. Don't know much about GPS but wouldn't you be able to charge a GPS unit off the bikes electricals?

That said I'd imagine a monochrome LCD would be FAR clearer on a bike then a coloured.
  10. Futher to this, does anyone know of a system such as GPS that gives the coordinates and then those coordinates can be relayed back to a stationary point somewhere via radio, satellite or similar, like a tracking type system?
  11. Over what sort of distance nodz?

Can I ask for what purpose? Just trying to think if there would be a simpler method then a direct relay.
  12. Distance wise, I don't know perhaps 150km radius of point to relay back to.

VHF/UHF radio link via repeater system would probably be too unpredicatable.

Perhaps something like SMS would be good, GPS sends SMS meesage to stationary mobile phone or back to a computer maybe.

Or GPS system sends a message back to another GPS unit
  13. The bikebandit has a black box system to be downloaded later or home base can track you by dialing into the Bikebandit via GSM and tracking you on a moving map.

Only thing is if the GSM link drops out you are going to need to redial the bike.
  14. If all you wanted was a logged route you'd be better looking at a PDA or something on the bike.

As for relaying. SMS would probably be the simplest option presuming you can get the right gear to talk to each other (probably a GPS unit, PDA and phone [or GSM enabled PDA]) and can find (or build) the software to do it but you'll be paying 15-25c a message.

If the range was shorter (say 50km max) you could possibly look at something like the upcoming WiMAX networking hardware which will hopefully be out and about early next year (but at god knows what cost)
  15. I notice that after a month or so, he hasn't answered your query. I was only made aware of this thread after someone else posted a question elsewhere asking about bike friendly GPSes. I would be interested. This is the ultimate bike gadget, as far as I'm concerned....
  16. Re: GPS system for the bike?

I don't know if it would fit your requirements, but I use a Garmin Etrex. It's a small, handheld unit. No fancy maps and not in color. So, if you wanted it for street or suburban navigation, then it won't be of much use to you.

It will do it, but it'd mean that you'd have to get software such as Oziexplorer, download and configure your required street maps, then punch in a route. Each turn would be at a waypoint. The Etrex would then indicate which direction to go via a moving arrow on a compass. Plus, it can only accept so many waypoints in a route and only one route.

The Etrex is mounted to the handlebars using a bicycle mount that's been wired on, as the bar mount isn't round. Looks crappy up close but does the job.

I run 2300 ma/h rechargeable AAAs in it. They'll last a good day's riding, typically up to 12hours.

The Etrex is about $200 on Ebay, data cable and bike mount about $30 each.

When navigating, it tells you how far to the next waypoint and how long to get there, based on current average speed. Unfortunately, if you're navigating, say to Buxton and you've left Yarra Junction, it won't take into account the twisties of the Reefton Spur. It will point straight to it, as the crow flies. On longer, straighter sectors, it becomes more accurate, this way.

It has other trip computer features such as max speed, trip meter, average speed (which is useless as it continues to monitor this, even when stopped, unless you tell it to stop navigating).
  17. Why would you want this, or to even encourage the development of such a system?

IBM has just been contracted to install a similar setup in cars in the United Arab Emirates to monitor motorists' speeds. And people here are arguing that frontal identifiers are the forerunner of such technology to be introduced here.
  18. I was thinking more along the lines of a safety thing, especially on longer rides with many bikes (very much like the identifier signals of aircraft being transmitted to radar screen). The stationary point would be able to see where you were and speed, direction etc.