Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured VIC Navigation on Learners

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Jack096, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

I've just moved to australia and have just got my learner permit. I've recently done a little bit of riding around my neighbourhood, but nothing really too far from home. I'd love to travel a little further and eventually ride to work and university. problem is though, I don't know my way around.

Am I able to,

1. Use apple maps on my iphone to navigate my journey, start the navigation off my bike ,and then mount said iphone to my bike.
    2. am I able to use a SENA 20s (or equivalent) and use my iphone to navigate me and have the audio instruction come through a sena 20s
    3. am I allowed to use a tom tom rider or equivalent that is mounted to my bike to navigate me.

what's the deal legality wise?
  2. 1 and 3 IIRC, 2 would be illegal on Ls.
  3. 1) Maybe, depends on whether passively receiving visual instructions counts as "operating" the device. Regardless, you're probably asking to be pulled over if you're riding with both an L-plate and a visible mobile phone.
    2) No.
    3) Yes.

The above is for restricted riders. Unrestricted riders with >3yrs are allowed to do all three.

Legislation: clicky.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Agree with the above, 3 with a Sena to receive voice instructions is OK. Phones are prohibited.
  5. Makes you wonder how people weren't lost all the time before GPS.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bc reading a Melways whilst riding wasn't illegal back then??
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. now I'm confused.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. You can use a stand alone GPS that doesn't connect to you in any way. To be honest, your safest bet would just to be to attach a map to your tank and use that!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. My advice is play safe.In any scenario to begin with, if you even have doubts about it or are asking yourself if you can do it, don't do it. It means you're not confident in your decision or skill. That's how I stay safe. It's a bit different with the law in this regard, but the way I do it is that I memorize the route prior to travelling that way I'm focused on the road the entire time, because I'm looking for where I need to go, looking if it's safe to slow down, turn, where the traffic is. You might argue that if you're unsure of where to go you might be nervous and not ride properly, but you can always pull over and stop to check directions. It's too late to pull over when you've been pulled over already.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. lol I was just thinking that exact same thing! Better to memorise where you're going.

The idea behind not using something that "speaks" to you is so that it doesn't distract you at a critical moment, it has no way of knowing that a car is about to stop or turn suddenly in front of you. This should've been covered in your L's course, it was in mine :)
  11. Nevertheless, the law only mentions phones, there is no mention of any other navigational device.

Edited to Add: Note this is Victorian law, I do not know if other States have different requirements.

(1A) Despite anything to the contrary in rule 299(2), the driver of a vehicle or a motor cycle must not use a mobile phone, including using the phone to perform a navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system function or an audio playing function, while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked if the driver is—

(a) a learner driver; or

(b) the holder of a probationary driver licence; or
    r. 300

(c) the holder of a motor cycle licence, issued by the Corporation after 1 October 2014, who has held the licence for a period of less than 3 years.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.
  12. Google maps, plot your course and print it out and take it with you,
    You can have it on a tank bag in front of you,
    Just stop when your looking at it,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Get an idea of where you're going, leave early and pull over to check your course in your phone every now and then. Easy.

Plus you'll get to know the route quicker.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. So I decided right up front on my L's that it would be safer for me to have Google Maps and instructions through my Sena than to battle without it. I made this decision knowing the legality and am willing to suffer the consequence should I be stopped etc.

14 months later I still have not been stopped or questioned about this (2 RBT's in this time). I might just have been lucky though. Make your own decision but don't then complain later should you be fined.
  15. Truthfully, I did the same.
  16. I chose the GPS on the handlebars. Still have it. Then no issue of phone ringing etc But you still have to look down to see your turn, and even 1 second can lead to disaster. Distractions whilst riding is a killer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Did exactly the same and never regretted that. Not only it is easier than it seems, but you also will actually learn your surroundings and train your spacial awareness instead of blindly following the map pointer or spoken directives. An those directives BTW can actually do more harm to a nervous L-plater as they are not always clear and often come at the last moment which can lead to badly thought-through snap decisions.

So here's how I do my trip planning: in a google map(or whatever mapping app will suit you) I plan the route and follow it mentally, noting the turn points. If the route follows unfamiliar roads, I open streetview for each turning point and spend a minute or so looking for notable landmarks that can be easily seen from the road. I also try to memorise names of the key roads I need to follow and(in case of long-ish distance rides) names of the cities I need to go through. After that, following the planned route is rather easy and if I feel I lost the route, I just park and check my phone to get my bearings. And you can also get a lot of info from directional signs, much more than GPS-centric rider might notice.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. What's a GPS...?
    What's an iPhone...?
    What's a SENA...?

I ride with none of the above. Must be the luddite in me.

Agree with Barters81Barters81 and SiilkSiilk above. Have a rough idea where you're going, stop and check if you get really lost.
  19. I don't think you guys understand. I'm an engineer. I need my gps!