Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Narnia 3 - the yawn spreader

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Dec 13, 2010.

1. If you're a fan of the Narnia books and a fan of the Narnia 1 and 2 movies, you will probably want to see Narnia 3, but you'll be disappointed. Boring, implausible (even on a fantasy level), cliche', ...looks like they trotted out a movie for the franchise benefits... A fourth is hinted at - hopefully they do better than opening up the movie cliche's book at random pages and weaving some narrative.

Do yourself a favour, wait for it to come out on FTA.
  2. You can't help the original material though... this one was always the weaker of the books.

Strange how they can come up with the money for this tosh but the "Dark Materials" series only got the one outing...
  3. My daughter just went to see it on her school's Christmas excursion. The fact that she didn't rave about it suggests she found it dull.

But then, having read the Narnia series to her a few years ago, I found Prince Caspian to be pretty dull too. So dull, in fact, that I remember almost nothing about it.

But then, I've been a bit leery of Narnia since I found out it was a Christian allegory, a fact that went zing-splat right up until the last couple of pages of the last book. Just goes to show that all that RE at my Christian primary school was a completely wasted effort :D.

I've a strong suspicion that the Christian allegory aspect of it explains quite a lot of the funding.

4. yeah I read the lot to my daughter earlier this year and was suprised how hit and miss they were.
  5. Christian allegory?? That's fascinating. I can't see how though. Witches, talking animals, wars, good, evil, magic... how could that be an allegory for anything christian? Sounds more pagan to me...
  6. The church in the US was very much up in arms about the Pullman books and the subsequent movie. It's basically why the second movie was put on hold.

The books make constant reference to a scientific style of Christianity, though I suspect most of the sheep just get up in arms because people have daemons linked to them and that is about as deep as they dig.

Shame really the movie was well done and the story is probably better than all the narnia books.

To think Tron resurfaced and that was just rubbish.
  7. death and resurrection
    ultimate sacrifice
    good versus evil
    creation by a deity
    life after death
  8. The whole thing is a Christian allegory although Lewis denied it. It's pretty well discussed and documented...
  9. More the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe than the other books. That whole Aslan volunteering himself for sacrifice to save Edmund, and then coming back to life. (I always thought that the most unsatisfactory part of the story when I was young. Felt a bit like the author was cheating. I didn't pick up on the Christian bit then. Too young.)

C.S.Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein were all about the idea of creating novels which could stand in for a native mythology they thought England lacked (or at least in comparison to other northern European cultures). Tolkein strongly based his stuff of Scandinavian myths, but C.S. Lewis has references Greek Myths, Aesop's fables, and of course the Celtic/pagan images you mention.

They initially saw themselves as partners in this enterprise, but apparently Tolkein started to get embarrassed at how blatantly C.S. Lewis drove the Christian message. I think they had different ideas about how to negotiate the idea of disenchantment/re-enchantment of the world. I think the most interesting way to read Tolkein is he's creating a myths centred around the departure of the gods and the emergence of a totally profane, modern world. C.S. Lewis just wanted to church things back up again.
  10. In the magicians nephew Aslan sung the world into being.

In all the other books they constantly reference him coming back.
  11. Those are good points, ibast. (I'll have to read them again when my lad gets old enough.)

Which is the one where the boy finds himself alone in some labyrinthine city? That one used to really weird me out, in the way the old movie adaptation of the time machine used to weird me out when the girl falls in the water, and no one tries to save her.
  12. wonder how long before the p0rn industry has a title

"Nymphomania - voyage of the leg spreader"
  13. Well, like I said, I managed to miss the whole thing in my late thirties and after an ostensibly Christian schooling up to age 11 :D. I almost twigged when Aslan appeared as a lamb at the end of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but didn't really get it until, as I said, the last page or two of the last book, when, quite frankly, the message was so obvious it was like being beaten over the head with the theological equivalent of a length of two by four.
  14. Mind you Tolkien writing a fable about man love wouldn't have gone down to well with Lewis
  15. Even though there are witches and magic in the story, I can see the christian overlaps... especially in the Narnia 3 which included a "follow the star"... and a land from which you can't return, which apparently is where Caspian's dead father is... and a reference to Aslan watching over the kids in the other world where Aslan has a different name.

Anyway, in regards to the movie, if I had tomatoes I would have thrown them at screen given some of the clumsy plot developments and obtuse devices used to connect the dots to the next bit of plot. Very unsatisfying.
  16. Mind you, the Dark Materials movie was not that strong, IMO. 'Our Nicole' didn't do it any favours, again IMO. I do agree it's a pity the series didn't continue to be made.

Two other random points:

1. Pullman has said pretty explicitlyin interviews that he intended that series to challenge unquestioned church power... so you can imagine church types being unsettled by it.

2. Reviews I've read of the Dawn Treader said it was *more* explicitly Christian than Lewis' book.

3. If you want to read a *really* excellent book that addresses questions of faith in the context of a novel, can't go past Terry Pratchett's 'Nation'.
  17. I saw this a few days ago; for most of the film I was distracted by the realisation that I really don't like films shot in 2D and massaged into quasi-3D. Don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed a lot of the 3D offerings so far, especially when it's done well.

But in this case the "spectacle" (or lack of) just doesn't seem worth the price paid in colour saturation, brightness, contrast, and constantly having to adjust one's eyes to resolve images at different (apparent) depths.

The bump-up in framerates and other needed technologies to make 3D less uncomfortable can't come soon enough. :p
  18. you serious rob? re read the first one, lion witch wardrobe. lewis iss one ofvthe most prominwnt christian writers in history.
  19. Yeh I was serious I did know that Lewis was a bit of bible thumper, but didn't think the stories were allegories... but I've since been edumacated!