Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nano tips - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Pugsly, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Browsing another forum I came across this stuff http://www.nanotips.com

It's a paint/goop that you put on the fingertip of your glove so it works with modern smartphone screens.

It's about $25 for what looks like a fingernail polish vial. So in order to not waste money, I thought I'd ask if anyone has used it with any success. No response means I'll buy some and post up a review.
  2. Given the same article says it works on prosthetic limbs, I'd have thought not.

For some reason on not keen on thethread versions.
  3. I saw this on a tv show called "Shark Tank" it works by once it has dried on the glove surface it becomes a conductive material. it does not need to make contact with your skin.

I saw a demo of the product on the show from painting it onto a glove to using the glove on an iPad.

The inventor was looking for investment from the sharks, to expand the company and obtain a plant to manufacture the product as he was making it in his garage.

after seeing this post i'm going to follow the link you posted and get some myself.

$25 bucks is nothing, even if you have to reapply it every now and then.
  4. i thought capacitive screens work on using the bodys capacitance, rather than the conductivity of the fingertip?

just trying on my phone (HTC).. if I hold a piece of foil, and brush it against the screen, it works, but if I wrap the foil around a peg and hold the peg, it no longer works...
    if I touch the foil on the peg, then it works...

a 4.7uF electrolytic capacitor also doesn't work (all I had :D )

so how does this stuff provide enough capacitance? give it a crack anyway :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've used a stylus while wearing leather gloves and that works....

I've had rain soaked gloves that worked... Which lead me to licking my gloved figure and finding out that my glove tasted bad, but will also allow me to operate the phone in a pinch, it's a bit hit and miss though.
  6. I forgot about styluses..

more testing. a moist tissue doesn't work, but a dripping wet one will (wet enough to leave drips on the screen)
    but, if finger touches the moist part of tissue, works perfectly..
    so a slobbered on glove finger would work, but just moist, maybe not? unless it is wet through from sweat

still thinking it is the capacitance rather than the conductivity that does it, otherwise foil should work perfectly by itself?

still overthinking it :p
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I think you may have too much time on your hands (or fingertips) oldcorollasoldcorollas I hope you are doing this in the privacy of a bathroom... Otherwise you may be scaring small children and animals...:troll:
  8. Have ordered some. Will report back.
  9. Me to.
  10. My "Nanotips" just arrived in the mail. I'll try it out and report back.

the instructions are simple
    1. shake
    2. paint on
    3. dry for 2-3 mins (the picture depicts a hair dryer)
    4. use
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hopefully mine is about to arrive then.
  12. Clint, probably worth mentioning the types of gloves you're using it on.
  13. It works.

Used it on a leather shorty alpinestars
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tested it on another pair of gloves and filmed it

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. joining the club, just ordered mine.
  16. I finally got off my arse and put it on my gloves today after cursing about needing to take them off on an earlier ride.

I put it on my A* goretext jobbies and my shortie perforated leather gloves and had the same outcome as Clint - yup it work, does what it says on the tin.

I'm trying to work out a generic phone mount for my bike. I've got a Galaxy S3, will likely be upgrading to a Nexus 6 at some point, and don't want to for out big bickies for something I'm only going to use for a few months, but that's a topic for another thread.

I'll post back here after a few months of use to see how it holds up after rain and day to day wear.

How's it going for you iClintiClint and JabbaJabba ?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. A* SMX2 work without adding this stuff. They already have some in place as do many other brands.
  18. This stuff looks brilliant! I think I'll be investing in a bottle shortly.

I posted up a review of a RAM phone cradle over two years ago here https://netrider.net.au/threads/ram-mobile-phone-cradle-strap-mount.141394/ which I'm still using and it's still going strong. Strap mounts to the bars, and the cradle is easily adjustable to fit multiple different sized phones. Order either from eBay or I'm told Johnny Appleseed in St Kilda sells them.