Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Name and shame - PS Dandenong

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by rdkls, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Adjusters loose after tyre change

Just got home after getting them to put tyres on it, and the chain adjuster is rattling-ly loose, the nuts not even finger-tight. Pissed off. Calling them to have a whinge ....

... got off phone. Guy was very good about it, said they normally don't take the adjuster off to change the tyre, but they probably should have checked it so sorry about that.

2. If I hear the phrase "Name and shame" like it means something one more time I'll kill a kitten.

Anyway, sorry to hear about it. Spose you've gotta always check these things.

3. You don't think it has an impact to read on forums "i went to X and they did a shit job on Y"
    Particularly if other people follow up with similar experiences, I really take it into account when choosing stuff ....

4. This must be about the 11th or 12th time I've heard of this particular workshop being involved in something potentially serious like this, not all of them on NR. Enough is enough.
    I'm all for giving people a chance to defend themselves and so on, but is there some way that someone like Consumer Affairs can audit the procedures and standards in this kind of workplace?

5. Nope.

There's some well known workshops in Sydney that have a shocking history with servicing bikes, and a few in Melbourne as well. Yet they still have a que of bikes waiting to be looked at.

6. Not everyone reads forums or hears the stories, and if nobody says anything or shares their experiences that's unlikely to change.

There's no margin for error with motorcycles, so close enough is good enough just doesn't cut it. Doesn't seem intelligent to pay somebody to kill you.

*No kittens were harmed in the making of this post.

7. Don't believe you. Kitten killer. :-w

8. Don't think consumer affairs can get involved as it's not a payment issue, it's a safety issue.
    Not a workplace issue either as the mechanics safety isn't at risk. (haha unless of course you said you were gonna rip his gonads out if you crashed LOL)

I guess it can only be a liability issue, if something happened on the way home then there'd be an investigation and the coroner would possibly find PS at fault and liable. (That's if you were dead)

my 2c.

9. You ca n notify VACC.
    I have done so in the past, they are the ones that accredit these so called workshops.

10. Ah yeh, good one. Someone has to be able to regulate these guys.

11. OK, then. I have a friend who had his front discs replaced in this same workshop, and found them to be not functioning properly. Subsequent examination by another shop found a number of necessary spacers had gone missing on reassembly. Not only did the shop not want to re-do the job correctly without being paid more, they wanted to charge for the spacers they had lost!

I am going to contact him and ask him to make a complaint to VACC. I suggest anyone else who has a problem should do likewise. If there are enough legitimate complaints, maybe something will get done. VACC do take this stuff seriously.

12. PS Dandenong have a bunch of monkeys working in their service shop.

Incidents I've had:

1) Pillion Seat Cowl was not bolted on properly after the first service. Came loose. Flapped about being held in place by the barest of threads at the end of the bolt, and scratched the paint-work. Rang and complained. They denied it. They claimed it must've been like that before they got it.

2)10K Service. Cleaned the bike a few days later. Found chewing gum stuck to the inside of the fairings everywhere. Rang and complained. They denied it. They claimed that someone else must've put it there. 'cos yeah, people on the street have nothing better to do than to pull off a motorbike's fairing to smear chewing gum over the inside in places that cannot be reached when the bike is assembled, and then put the fairing back on afterwards...

3) Worst case. Final straw. Bike went in for a warranty job to replace a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Picked up bike. Fuel line came loose when entering a freeway, pumping fuel all over the bike, and causing an obviously potentially fatal fire risk, not to mention having to dodge 18 wheelers bearing down on me with no power and a sliding rear wheel (from the fuel). Rang up, they send a mechanic out to fix. He brought the wrong tools for the bike. He claimed he was the mechanic who had worked on the bike, and that he never removed the tank or the fuel line, and that it must've been loose before the bike came to him. I have the service manual at home. There is absolutely NO WAY you can replace the coolant sensor without removing the tank. An obivous defensive lie in an attempt to slink out of any responsibility. Manage to half get the fuel line clipped on again without the proper tools, and I rode home and fix it properly myself.

Moral of the story is that, in my personal opinion and experience with them, is that PS Dandenong runs one of the shoddiest and worst service shops going around in modern times, and accept zero responsibility for any of their f*ck-ups, and attempt to always play the "it was like that when we got it" card.

DO NOT USE THEM.

13. I don't trust any bike mechanics. After working a few short shifts at a dealership in Ringwood, I have decided that yes... they are all monkeys.

If I have to get the bike fixed by a prafeshonal mekanik, I'll try and take it to the smaller workshops.

I've found the smaller operations to be more trustworthy and helpful because they're a little bit more personal than a massive garage where the spanner monkeys usually don't meet the owner of the bike.