Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Naked or faired?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by fullvision, Sep 4, 2013.

1. I am about to buy my first bike and in a delemma
    Naked bike : practical but terribly looking
    Faired bike :beautiful look but not practical

Should I follow my heart or brain :)

In other words VTR 250 or CBR 250

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vtr250.

That is all.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'd have to agree!
  4. Follow your heart :) and buy what YOU want
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don't get it. I mean, I do... but I don't.

The one chance where we get to have the awesomeness of the combustion engine exposed, yet so many are down on the idea.

Other than that, I agree with mainstage.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Everything, well almost, in life is better naked. The right fairings can be useful at 200kph, otherwise they are expensive window dressing. Then I have no idea what I'm talking about so buy what you like looking at, it's your coin.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fairings can be about more than just aerodynamics or aesthetics, if i ride my bike in the rain (fully faired with a windshield) my arms, hands, legs, head and chest are all sheltered from the weather i get a little wet on my back.

a naked bike in the same level of rain and i am drenched in minutes.

same level of rain on a cruiser with forward controls and my boots have filled up with water and i am filthy from all the spray off the front wheel, rains been hitting my chest and running down to my crotch and now worked its way through seams and water proof layers to pooling around my taint.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. #8 trojanhorse, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
    I have a 2011 cbr250r, great bike, I love mine & I still think it looks good 2 years on & certainly haven't regretted buying it. Go with ur heart, you'll regret it later otherwise.

I saw the point in not having a faired bike for my 1st bike but ended up with my cbr125r before the 250 anyway cause at the end of the day, I'm just not a naked fan even though I can appreciate some now I still wouldn't own one, they look unfinished IMHO.

You have to love what u ride I reckon, it's half the reason we get a bike, cause we think they look hot/sexy/fast etc. Go with what u really want & like.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I find it too easy to go too fast on a faired bike. On a naked you get a bit of buffeting just north of the speed limit and it helps prevent licence shredding speeds.
  10. Really? I do the speed limit on mine without a problem... It's called watching the speedo :D
  11. I prefer naked bikes in summer and faired bikes in winter... the obvious solution is to have one of both (or a removable screen) :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mate, depends what style of riding you enjoy. These days, I commute every day (including in Tassie winters) and do a fair bit of touring. A naked bike just isn't an option for a variety of reasons - none offer the protection needed to make covering big miles a less-tiring exercise, there are none I like with the combination of size, performance and carrying capacity I require, and in a cold Tassie winter when it's raining and miserable, I prefer as much protection as I can reasonably get from the elements.

In previous years when I lived on the mainland, I loved naked bikes. Summer heat, full exposure to the feel of the wind, was awesome. But I wasn't riding the kind of miles I ride now either.... The few times I DID ride some decent kays in a day, I was absolutely stuffed at the end of it from all the buffeting.

The same bike will not suit everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Oooh , sarcasm , bring it on - I like it . Lol !
  14. I went from a faired ZZR250 to a naked Ducati Monster 600 and back to a faired Ninja 650R. As others have said it really depends on your riding habits. On the zed I did a heap of touring and loved it. I found with the Monster I couldn't do those long rides anymore, but riding in the city was bliss. Now I have a midrange sports tourer that is good for commuting AND for touring.

In my opinion on a 250cc it doesn't really matter all that much. Get the one you want, and if you find you're not comfortable, you can get the other type when you upgrade.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sounds like you need some good wet weather gear, I don't get wet at all in driving rain, except for my gloves.
  16. I don't need wet weather gear, between sitting behind my fairings and my leather jacket i arrive dry enough, in torrential rain i just bung on some cheap over pants and I'm fine.
  17. Good for you Dudley Do-Right.
  18. Sorry I just think thats the lamest/funniest reason ever not to get a faired bike...I can't control my speed... :ROFLMAO:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fixed that for ya, she is a she.
  20. In the zone, the red mist kicks in...