Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nail in tyre

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Guy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi,

Not sure if I should have posted this in the noobie section... Only my 3rd day riding my bike, but anyway, I live in a relatively new estate, and my riding takes me past some construction. Went to check the back tyre this morning, and found a small nail appears to have lodged itself inside the groove on my tyre, on an angle.

I have no idea how long it is.. and a saliva test didnt seem to make bubbles.. so, what do I do with it? Take it out? Replace tyre (not ideal obviously, tyre has plenty of tread)? Other?

Here is the pic, for your own assessement/amusement..

Click to see ze pic

Cheers..

2. Ride to a bike shop and have it plugged professionally. As long as the angle isn't too severe and it's not in the sidewall, it'll be ok.

If the tyre is nearly on it's way out anyway, just buy a new one. But plugs are fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Up to you, the sort of riding you do, what type of bike you have and the amount of damage.

When I got a nail in my tyre I replaced it, even though there was tread left. But I like to spend some time riding in the hills and I just didn't trust the tyre anymore. Safest thing to do is replace it. Second best is to repair it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cool, will get it repaired then, as there's heaps of tread - glad it can be sorted out.. No Im a 3 day old rider, not twisting thorugh hills yet (that's 2nd week right..).

Cheers :)

5. figured you were new to this. Obviously, bike shop may look at it and say no, depends on the angle and if the plug can be done safely.

I've plugged every tyre I've had on every bike so far. Dangers of commuting I guess. I don't have any issues when I go hit the twisties. YMMV.

6. Only issue is that they can pierce and damage the belt of the tyre which can cause some problems

7. All done, at "Ghost Riders Motorcycles" (http://ghostridersmotorcycles.com.au/).

Romi the mechanic who owns it is a great guy, passionate, if you're in the outer west of Melb and love your bike, I can highly recommend the shop and chat.

8. Errrr...

:D

• Like Like x 2