Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nail in rear tyre

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by H21A, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

The rear tyre (1300k's) picked up a nail in the center part of the tyre.

Seeing that its a public holiday today ](*,) should i just get a tyre repair kit from supercheapauto and see if i can patch her up ?

Are the kits the same as the mushroom type fix ? Anyone used a repair kit before ?

2. is it flat, or still holding air? if still holding air and not losing it too quickly, go to servo, fill it up and then go to mechanics tomorrow.

3. Don't put the green slime in to fix the leak, makes it worse for the garage to repair it.
    Get a plug repair type kit, you will have no problems with it then.
    Do a search, some people have done many kms using plugs,
    and others will only use till they can get an internal fix done....

4. Depends on whether you have a decent set of tyre levers. And if the bead is going to give you grief.
    It can be a simple job and a right royal pain in the ass.
    For mine I wouldn't risk it, and pay someone the $25 bucks.
    Up to you and what else you could be doing on a public holiday. Mmmm cant ride the bike. May as well get pissed.
    Pluggers as said are the way to go.

5.  Top
  6. bloody hell its a new tyre aswell :(

theres still air and its not leaking so far (saliva test) lol. Ill pump some air and wait it out till tomorrow.

How much would it cost roughly ? Any recommendations on which workshop

7. most will recomend a new tyre

8. where in sydney are you?

9. Ive done DIY plugs in my tyres before and ran it till the tyre was bald, no dramas with them, as long as they are dead center, if it was on the side, forget it

10. Did my first plug repair on the cage tyre last week, worked great.

11. bloody hell its a new tyre aswell :(

theres still air and its not leaking so far (saliva test) lol. Ill pump some air and wait it out till tomorrow.

How much would it cost roughly ? Any recommendations on which workshop

12. #12 joetdm, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Pulled a 75mil nail from my tyre few weeks ago used puncture repair kit and worked a treat, no leaks.
    See no reason to change as long as it doesn't leak.

13. where in sydney are you?

14. Hey LC, Im in Lidcombe. Any recommendations ?

The closest i could think of would be bikebiz, action mc or MCAS (more like a Myers for bikes).

I'll try and suss out a few other bike friendly tyre shops to see if they would entertain me.

I guess i should be thankful that it's on the center of the tyre and not on the sidewalls. Spending on another set of new rubbers would be a waste

15. Hey Goz,

Was it similar to this stuff ?

It had 4 brown strips (plugs??) that you shove in the hole with some rubber cement glue

16. mine came in a black hard case but ye same stuff, my plugs look longer though

17.  Top
  18. i had one a few months back got me home as igot in the driveway it spat it back out most shops recomed as a temporary repair only

19. Ive ran 2 or 3 plugs in various tyres ive had before - plugged them myself and never had a fail (touch wood) Was on nearly new tyres also and in the dead center on each occasion

I used to work at a tyre shop loong ago also and plugged alot of tyres in cars, never had one fail tho on a car before - Its been a long time since Ive done one but from memory they are only rated up to 140kph? (maybe somthing to keep inmind or check on the accuracy of as its been awhile) Dead easy repair to do, takes u literally 30 seconds :)
    If you were to pay somebody to do it you would prolly get change from $20

20. I plugged the rear on my VTR250 and then forgot about it so it's still there (6 months later). Doesn't lose any air or feel any different. The hole was about 10mm off center.

Then again, it's not exactly a performance bike and the 140km/hr speed limit is also the top speed of the bike so no biggy.