Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mythbusters do motorbikes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mickdundee, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Seems there are a few Mythbusters fans here (for those deprived and don't know what they are missing out on, 7:30pm tonight on SBS) I thought perhaps we could put Adam and Jamie et al to the test with motorbike myths, first (and only) one that came to my mind is Helium/Hydrogen instead of air in the tires to make for better fuel economy and handling, myth or plausible?

2. How about:

twin produce more torque then 4's

exhausts require back pressure

Harleys are real motorcycles.

or you must have a beard to ride a BMW.

3. For equal displacement... Proven fact :wink:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Some editing of quote due to spelling
  4. Oi...

I resemble that :LOL:

5. Yep they get it out of the torque ether :LOL:
  6. Seriously though, if you want me to explain why twins produce more torque than fours just let me know.
  7. OK, I've got to see this one.

Just so we've got it straight. Equal displacement. v-twin v's inline 4. Similar design briefs. ie were not comparing a cruiser with a sports bike.
  8. tune in to see those science queens tonite and you will be watching the First Test - England v Australia
  9. Done
  10. Helium/hydrogen won't last more than a few days in a tyre before the molecules dissipate through the walls of the tyres and elsewhere due to their tiny atomic weight.
    Myth busted before it began.
  11. I think Mick may possibly have been confused with Nitrogen and the fact that tyres theoretically run cooler and last longer.

Though there are times that colder tyres are NOT an asset :LOL:

I think there's a thread about this on Netrider some time back. I know it's one of the annual queries that come up on all the BMW forums (along with the perennial - which oil/tyre/fuel is better and the old car vs bike disputes :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

12. Hope they use Nitrogen and not Hydrogen or they could blow themselves up big time.

Oh I forgot, they like to blow things up don't they :LOL:

Never ceases to amaze me that you mix two highly flamable gases in Hydrogen & Oxygen and then put fires out with it (H2O being water).
  13. Game over . Finally waiting for all the rain interuptions (it is Englend after all) to cease we ended their pain. :D
  14. I took part in that thread early on and people were comparing apples with pears. It's hardly proof.

The fact is you can fill a smaller cylinder easier then you can a larger one and that fact applies right across the rev range. The only time it doesn't apply is when the two engines you are comparing are of different capicaty or a significantly different state of tune.

In fact a 4 cyclinde of the same capacity as a twin can not only match the twin for power at low - mid revs but go on to rev more then the twin and produce more power in the end. This is true for about another 3-4000 rpm.

Don't get me wrong I quite like twins. My last bike was one. It's just I hate this particular myth
  15. please redirect ensuing debate to here :p :LOL:
  16. No you won't.

It finished last night!!!
  17. Sigh!

You were proven wrong, you dont want to admit it, your mechanical explanation is simplistic and flawed.

I gave a perfectly good comparison (CBR250 vs VTR250) that you disparaged simply because it proved you wrong. You want to call it apples and pears because? For equal capacity (and assuming equal consideration for tune) a twin has more torque and can therefore develop more power lower in the rev range. A four can rev higher and therefore develops more power higher in the rev range which compensates for the lack of torque. Yes, you can fill a smaller cylinder faster than a large cylinder but does that mean the small cylinder is a more effective lever than a larger cylinder? I am assuming you dont want the argument further complicated with things like bore and stroke, with considerations of oversquare, square and undersquare cylinder profiles.

Are you with me so far?
  18. apples are MUCH better than oranges :LOL:
  19. I grew up in apple country so I am biased. I do like blood oranges though.

:D :D :D
  20. I don't mind either but I was brought up north of the border. :oops:

You can't beat those horizontally opposed bananananas though.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: